legality of the locked iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pcar993

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
First - i very much enjoy my iPhone and this is not a slam on Apple!

With that said, i don't believe that they are acting properly in the following way.

I bought my iPhone on intro day. I activated it and i'm an existing AT&T customer and had no problems. However, when i travel in Europe i pop in a simcard from a local carrier. The iPhone does not allow another sim card. Other phones do not allow other sim cards as well, but AT&T and Tmobile will unlock your phone provided you've been a long term customer. AT&T will not unlock the iPhone. I'm not trying to switch carriers, just simply want to use a different carrier when traveling.

Now legality. When you get a subsidized phone it makes sense for a carrier to lock the phone. However, when a consumer pays full price on a phone - i am highly suspect that Apple or AT&T has a legal base for which to lock the phone. Is anyone here an expert in this regard?

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Now legality. When you get a subsidized phone it makes sense for a carrier to lock the phone. However, when a consumer pays full price on a phone - i am highly suspect that Apple or AT&T has a legal base for which to lock the phone. Is anyone here an expert in this regard?
Nothing illegal going on here. At least not in the US. AT&T, T-Mobile and other carriers unlock phones as courtesy to their customers. They are in no way obligated to do so.

It is legal in the US (under exemptions in the DMCA) for you to figure out on your own how to unlock the phone but the carriers do not have to do it for you. The fact that the phone is subsidized or not is irrelevant.

- SR

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Nothing illegal going on here. At least not in the US. AT&T, T-Mobile and other carriers unlock phones as courtesy to their customers. They are in no way obligated to do so.

It is legal in the US (under exemptions in the DCMA) for you to figure out on your own how to unlock the phone but the carriers do not have to do it for you. The fact that the phone is subsidized or not is irrelevant.

- SR

Exactly... I unlocked my old razor phone, just so I could re-program it and load current updates. Spacerog is on the money, they are not obligated to unlock your phone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

With that said, i don't believe that they are acting properly in the following way.

I bought my iPhone on intro day. I activated it and i'm an existing AT&T customer and had no problems. However, when i travel in Europe i pop in a simcard from a local carrier. The iPhone does not allow another sim card. Other phones do not allow other sim cards as well, but AT&T and Tmobile will unlock your phone provided you've been a long term customer. AT&T will not unlock the iPhone. I'm not trying to switch carriers, just simply want to use a different carrier when traveling.

You just need to ask about international roaming plans you can use. They're certainly not going to start unlocking iPhones this early on. I don't care how legitimate your request is too many other people would ask to get theirs unlocked just to sell it on ebay to a T-Mobile user. I would imagine unlocked iPhones would bring close to $1000 on ebay.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Contract of law

You entered into a legal binding contract with ATT when you first signed up. The restrictions were clearly stated, how is that illegal?