Legally Sharing Purchased Apps

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
Hello guys,

i was watching at cnet.tv how to send to your friends your purchased apps, if there cheap to buy it or simply because they don't have the money.

Its really simple, when you purchase an app, it downloads in iTunes, well the same way that you drag and drop music into your iPhone, the same way you can do with apps, all you do is drag to that desktop, and send it on and email or transfer to a USB media or whatever you want to the person that your sending the app, when that person gets it, all they have to do is drag the app that you drag them into iTunes or double click the app, either way when you do this you should have the app on your iTunes app collection, now once they have the app inside iTunes, the next thing you need to do is go to the menu bar in iTunes, and hit AUTHORIZE COMPUTER, now all you need to do is put in your email and iTunes password(the same thing you would do as if you were buying a regular app)

now the trick here is that your only limited to authorize 5 computers, its the same thing with music, your only limited to 5 computers,

so choose wisely who you give your apps to

now

anybody want apps ?, i don't have nobody to give apps to, so, ill just list the apps that i have paid for

Hero of Sparta
Assassins Creed
Asphalt 4
Ferrari Evolution GT
Terminator Salvation
Batmobile
Billy Frontier
Tiki Towers
Nanosaur 2
LigthBike
SuperBall 3
CatchaMouse2
CroMag Rally
I Dig It
Sally Spa
Moto Chaser
Enigmo
The Sexy Girls Show
StreetBall
StarWars the force unleashed
PicFree(Send MMS)
Midomi(got it for free a year ago)

Have fun, hoped i helped

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
edit: reopened thread based on apparent legality of method.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Right, so just to get this straight - the method that Mr. Reggaeton posted above is legal and does not involve cracked applications. However, this thread will be watched closely, and should anybody post anything pertaining to cracked applications, link to them, etc., that person will receive an infraction and the thread will be locked.

Carry on...

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
The flaw is that most of the terms of use likely state that the five computers that are authorized are for purposes of use with your iPhone, not anyone else's. The fact that this works is a whole other issue.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...this is ok for sharing with your immediate partner. But, to me, for the sake of a few dollars, it's better to just buy the application.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Right, so just to get this straight - the method that Mr. Reggaeton posted above is legal and does not involve cracked applications. However, this thread will be watched closely, and should anybody post anything pertaining to cracked applications, link to them, etc., that person will receive an infraction and the thread will be locked.

Carry on...
That was the point of my PM, Lincoln. It's legal, though I'm pretty sure that the spirit of the rule refers to multiple accounts in your own home, not spread about the internet.

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
The flaw is that most of the terms of use likely state that the five computers that are authorized are for purposes of use with your iPhone, not anyone else's. The fact that this works is a whole other issue.
but it DOES work...i gave my cousin in NY a few apps and it worked for him, so this DOES work

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
ok cool, so now that the thread is opened, lets share apps, i would like need for speed carbon, in exchange for any of MY apps that i listed above,

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
but it DOES work...i gave my cousin in NY a few apps and it worked for him, so this DOES work
Yeeesh. So does uploading and downloading Hollywood movies from file sharing network. Just because it works, doesn't make it legal.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, let's not make it that kind of thread, reggae.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
I did it once when I help setting up my friend's iPhone. I shared all my apps with her by synchronize it with my iTunes. Whenever there are update available for the apps, She can't update because she will need my account in iTunes store for update. and for some apps, I think they record our phone if we purchase apps from them for their support and legal purposes.

I delete all the apps I share with the lady and I create an iTunes store account for her so she can do her own purchase and download, its also more fair to her because its ensure that she always get the latest update.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Just because you CAN do something does not always mean you SHOULD. I'm too close to people who make a living dealing with software to want to do something like this. If I give a piece of software to a friend or relative, it's because I will no longer use it myself. Just the same as if I'd given away a CD or DVD or a book. But, that's just me.

YMMV

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't get how this would ever work between two strangers on the Net. Beyond the legal or ethics issues, you'd have to give out your iTunes password. Who in their right mind would do that?

--
Mike

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't get how this would ever work between two strangers on the Net. Beyond the legal or ethics issues, you'd have to give out your iTunes password. Who in their right mind would do that?

--
Mike
This was the whole point of me reporting this tread. I thought it should be locked and still do. If nothing else, it gives some people ideas without really thinking through what the consequences might be. Even some relatives and "friends" will rip you off in a heartbeat.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This was the whole point of me reporting this tread. I thought it should be locked and still do. If nothing else, it gives some people ideas without really thinking through what the consequences might be. Even some relatives and "friends" will rip you off in a heartbeat.
That doesn't necessarily make it strictly illegal, though - just really bad judgment.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
That doesn't necessarily make it strictly illegal, though - just really bad judgment.
I agree, just don't think it has a place here. Just like some laws we have in this country, sometimes you have to do things to protect the uninformed. It used to be ok to ride a motorcycle without a helmet which is really bad judgment. But now most states require it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Moderation here can only go so far. As they say, you can't legislate morality. Or even common sense. Just be smart, folks.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
As I'm sure others will agree, the ability to share apps is meant for family members to benefit from it, just like music from iTunes. Apple is saying its ok for your wife and kid to use the music/apps you purchased (i.e. 5 authorized computers/devices), but not for friends and most definitely not strangers!