Legitimate 3G News !

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
http://gizmodo.com/375314/straight-from-att-mobility-ceos-mouth-3g-iphone-in-months-299-vu-and-sprint-sucks

gizmodo said:
We're at an AT&T lunch, and AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega just dropped two meaty bits. First, he said that "I think that you're going to see all our integrated devices be 3G devices.. in the next couple months." Sascha Segan from PC Mag asked if that included the iPhone. De la Vega responded that he would like to repeat himself. Cue fanboy 3G fever! Also, even though they played coy for whatever reason with the original announcement, AT&T Mobility's CEO just revealed that the LG Vu is going to run $299—same as the Instinct.
Speaking of Sprint, when asked why they only revealed a new all-you-can-eat subscription after Verizon did—and not Sprint—he replied that Verizon is a high quality player, number 2 in the marketplace, and they didn't want to give them any edge. Translation? Sprint is a non-player to AT&T. What about WiMax? Ralph is "not too worried about the threat from WiMax."

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Interesting. Maybe he let another one slip! Hope this is true.;)

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Can someone explain "3G" to a noob in a nutshell? I don't get what the fuss is about... Other than making surfing the web faster... Is that all it does? And won't everyone still get the 2.0 update?

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Can someone explain "3G" to a noob in a nutshell? I don't get what the fuss is about... Other than making surfing the web faster... Is that all it does? And won't everyone still get the 2.0 update?
In a nutshell all you really need to know is that everything internet based will be faster. Sometimes as high as 4x faster, sometimes as low as only 2x.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
In a nutshell all you really need to know is that everything internet based will be faster. Sometimes as high as 4x faster, sometimes as low as only 2x.
Also if I'm not mistaken, can you be on a call with someone and use the internet simultaneously? On the phone, browsing safari?

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Also if I'm not mistaken, can you be on a call with someone and use the internet simultaneously? On the phone, browsing safari?
I think you can.

Edit: I cant see myself doing a ton of browsing while on the phone, unless I'm giving someone directions or really need to get information for someone.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
I think you can.

Edit: I cant see myself doing a ton of browsing while on the phone, unless I'm giving someone directions or really need to get information for someone.
but the advantage of that is if you are browsing the internet then you wont miss a call. now if you are using edge to surf and someone calls you it goes directly into your voicemail

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
but the advantage of that is if you are browsing the internet then you wont miss a call. now if you are using edge to surf and someone calls you it goes directly into your voicemail
Are you sure it goes straight to voicemail? I guess I must never have encountered that...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Nothing real new here. It's a safe bet that Apple will release a follow-up this year. Months could mean anything from June to October.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Nothing real new here. It's a safe bet that Apple will release a follow-up this year. Months could mean anything from June to October.
Well you heard it here first, it will at least be out by October....kewl...:p

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
AT&T's Mouthy CEO said:
"Let me repeat what I said: I think that you're going to see our integrated devices be 3G devices in the not-too-distant future, and I mean months. That should be clear enough."
Integrated devices be 3g devices.... Is he stating evasively that current devices will be 3g devices this year? because I would love to find out that my iPhone can be upgraded to 3g- even though we all know that the hardware isn't supposed to support that kind of an update.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Integrated devices be 3g devices.... Is he stating evasively that current devices will be 3g devices this year? because I would love to find out that my iPhone can be upgraded to 3g- even though we all know that the hardware isn't supposed to support that kind of an update.
Youll need new hardware to support 3g.

jacobjester

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas City, MO
I know this is going to sound ignorant, but would a 3G iPhone also work on the edge network? What I mean is, will they work interchangeably? I travel a lot to smaller communities that do not and may not get 3G for a very long time.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I know this is going to sound ignorant, but would a 3G iPhone also work on the edge network? What I mean is, will they work interchangeably? I travel a lot to smaller communities that do not and may not get 3G for a very long time.
Yes, 3G devices are backwards compatible with 2.5G technologies.(Edge,Gprs)