Legitimate argument with Apple and AT&T

unclebnz

Jun 17, 2009
Here we go. Anyone have the same issue? I have been in contract with ATT for 1 year on a 2 year contract. I understand that Apple wants to charge me 499.00 for an upgrade to the 3G S. if I renew my contract. My issue is if I do an early termination I will be charged 125.00. With that in mind I would just purchase a new contract and pay 299 for a 32gig 3G S. which would make my out of pocket cost be only $ 425.00 saving me 75.00. When I contacted ATT customer service and they clearly agreed with me, but stated it was out of their hands since Apple was so strict on their policies. It was suggested to me that I contact a regional manager from Apple and try to resolve this issue. I have been trying to contact them for 3 days with no success. I am putting his name and number on blast so if anyone who has the same issue can try to contact him also. Maybe if enough people call something will be done.:mad: Jarret Frankel (408) 996-1010

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You can try to beat the system that way, as many others have thought about, but there are downsides. You must wait 90 days after canceling your account to start another with full subsidy. You will lose your phone number. You will pay higher activation fees. Basically, it's just not worth it... that's why everyone doesn't do it.

I know it's frustrating, but you signed the contract when you got your 3G. It's really not AT&T's fault that you're in this situation and they owe you nothing.

unclebnz

Jun 17, 2009
That sucks. It's bad enough that the are charging us a boat load of money for the phone. Also I'm on a businesss account that doesn't charge you activation fees

ritzthekracker

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I think everybody needs to read that article. There are so many pointless posts about this on every forum and its starting to get really annoying.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
Nothing is worth losing my number that i've had for 5 years..

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
It doesn't cease to amaze me how some people will go to bat for the big companies. If consumers never complain, they are asking to get ripped off.

Everyone one be reasonable, send all your money to Apple and AT&T. It's all fair. Go to sleep, everything will be alright. Stare into the light.

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I was pretty upset too..but then last weekend i decided to just go ahead sell my 3G on ebay...and I got about 395 for it which went right towards the 3gs...so I still paid bit out of pocket for the new 3gs but the 3G money helped...

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It doesn't cease to amaze me how some people will go to bat for the big companies. If consumers never complain, they are asking to get ripped off.

Everyone one be reasonable, send all your money to Apple and AT&T. It's all fair. Go to sleep, everything will be alright. Stare into the light.
What? The big companies that ask you to honor a contract? I hope some of you run businessses that involve customers and contracts...

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I agree. I have no sympathy for people who got the 3G subsidy and are complaining about the price of the 3GS (unless there are extenuating circumstances). Phone companies give you a subsidy for a two-year agreement and usually let you upgrade in 18 months. That's the deal. That's what you signed up for. I got lucky and never got the 3G subsidy, so I am getting the 3GS for $199.

But if I did get the 3G subsidy, I would not be buying the 3GS because I would not have said subsidy. And if I did want to buy it, I would unlock/jailbreak my 3G, sell it, and then use that money to buy the 3GS at an unsubsidized price and get my subsidy on next year's model.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Not sure how ATT works, but with Verizon you can do the following;

You can port your number out to another company, lets say Sprint for the Pre. Use the Pre for a day (heck, write a review if you want). Call ATT, tell them you ported out but you don't like the service and you were thinking of coming back. Verizon's policy, called "Win Back", actually gives you incentives to come back. They will reset your eligibilility for a new device AND give you a month of free service. Not saying that ATT will do that, but it might be worth a try. The worst thing that can happen is that they don't give you anything and you are back where you started. You pay nothing on Sprint since they have the same 30 day test drive as anyone else. Obviously, once you came back ATT would waive the ETF as well.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
optional but retarded solution (right about the same cost as the no contract) add an additional family line for 9.99 a month, buy a 3g at 199 or 299 and activate it on your number and then just pay the extra 9.99 a month. lol

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Or if you qualify, you might be able to get the better price due to the ATT revision. Check out tuaw.com

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
optional but retarded solution (right about the same cost as the no contract) add an additional family line for 9.99 a month, buy a 3g at 199 or 299 and activate it on your number and then just pay the extra 9.99 a month. lol
Yeah, but then you lose your phone number...and for two years, $10 per month is $240.

So $240 + $199 = $439 and you get a different number.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah, but then you lose your phone number...and for two years, $10 per month is $240.

So $240 + $199 = $439 and you get a different number.
just swap the SIM. This is how i got my wife's 3G. however i needed another line for work so i got her the iPhone and took her razr for work with the new line. i did have to call and cancel the extra data plan for the third line.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I could have updated one of the other lines on my family plan and probably gotten the 3GS at subsidy price, but bottom line, not worth it to me. I took the early upgrade and just want to keep the same phone number and not have to flip flop things, cancel plans, etc. Too much hassle. So the options were go through the hassle and change numbers by upgrading other family line, just wait until December when full upgrade is available at subsidy price, or fork over the $399 for the 16GB 3GS. I just went ahead and am forking it over. Is what it is.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
You can try to beat the system that way, as many others have thought about, but there are downsides. You must wait 90 days after canceling your account to start another with full subsidy. You will lose your phone number. You will pay higher activation fees. Basically, it's just not worth it... that's why everyone doesn't do it.

I know it's frustrating, but you signed the contract when you got your 3G. It's really not AT&T's fault that you're in this situation and they owe you nothing.
Why can't you just sign a new line before you cancel your first one, swap the SIMs, then cancel service on the first line? That way you still get full subsidy on the new line without having to wait 90 days, and you keep your phone number. The activation fee is $36 bucks, no avoiding that. So ultimately you save like $39 bucks...barely worth it still.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
You could cancel service on the first line, but then you would no longer have that phone number.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Then just call AT&T and switch the phone numbers for the SIMs before you cancel the first line. I have personally asked AT&T if they will switch numbers between two AT&T lines and they told me that they would do it no problem.