Lemon iPhone story.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 14, 2007
Bought it new at the start, like many of you. Paid too much for it (also like many of you!). Unlike all of you (so it seems) my first iPhone was a lemon. It would miss calls. Thought this was a result of a mis set setting bit after 2-3 weeks I called Apple. They had me reset some options. Missed calls continued. Called Apple, they suggested a full restore. So I do and the missed calls go on. Now I notice that the phone also randomly assigns photos to my contacts. Odd. After the third call to Apple they send me a loaner phone while mine is checked out. Very fast and convient shipping set up that they use. My phone returns but they are unable to replicate the problems. Doesn' matter to me if it works. The missed calls start again, the odd photo problems, and I start to notice that the phone keeps terrible time! Yes, the auto update is turned on. It can lose 3 hours overnight. Odd little gadget. So I'm back on the phone with Apple. Yup, another loaner is sent out ubber quick, mine is checked out and now replaced.
new phone works great! No problems, and I am thrilled with Apples response to my headaches.
Now after its all said and done, I'd buy it again.
But I wonder what was going on in the little whacked out brain of my old phone...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Bought it new at the start, like many of you. Paid too much for it (also like many of you!). Unlike all of you (so it seems) my first iPhone was a lemon. It would miss calls. Thought this was a result of a mis set setting bit after 2-3 weeks I called Apple. They had me reset some options. Missed calls continued. Called Apple, they suggested a full restore. So I do and the missed calls go on. Now I notice that the phone also randomly assigns photos to my contacts. Odd. After the third call to Apple they send me a loaner phone while mine is checked out. Very fast and convient shipping set up that they use. My phone returns but they are unable to replicate the problems. Doesn' matter to me if it works. The missed calls start again, the odd photo problems, and I start to notice that the phone keeps terrible time! Yes, the auto update is turned on. It can lose 3 hours overnight. Odd little gadget. So I'm back on the phone with Apple. Yup, another loaner is sent out ubber quick, mine is checked out and now replaced.
new phone works great! No problems, and I am thrilled with Apples response to my headaches.
But I wonder what was going on in the little whacked out brain of my old phone...
I'm surprised that you waited 2-3 weeks to call Apple. I think I would have been back at the store the minute my problems started..... cause I'm anal like that. ;)

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC

If you are frequently surfing safari on edge or pulling emails on your phone then you WILL miss calls since calls cannot be received while on edge. That is probably why Apple could not reproduce your problem. As for the terrible time............you have the proper time zone setup on both your main computer that you sync with as well as the iPhone?

Aug 14, 2007
I waited a few weeks to call Apple as the problems were very intermitent. There is no Apple store within 5 hours so no hope there.
I'd read about the edge/receive issue. This was not the case with the missed calls. I would set it on the desk, in sleep mode, and call it. Sometimes it would ring, next it would not, then it would a bit
later. Very random.
Good question about the time, I'd hoped that was the problem once also. No so- and the time problems would range from a few minutes to hours just as the phone sat on the counter connected
to nothing. Odd.

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
I waited a few weeks to call Apple as the problems were very intermitent. There is no Apple store within 5 hours so no hope there.
I'd read about the edge/receive issue. This was not the case with the missed calls. I would set it on the desk, in sleep mode, and call it. Sometimes it would ring, next it would not, then it would a bit
later. Very random.
Good question about the time, I'd hoped that was the problem once also. No so- and the time problems would range from a few minutes to hours just as the phone sat on the counter connected
to nothing. Odd.

Did you have your email set to retrieve every 15 minutes or something? That occurs in the background and on Edge and can further explain the inconsistency of receiving calls.

Oct 1, 2007
My I phone does not work indoors very well.I wish Louisiana had an Apple store.I have no other choice but AT@T and calling Apple over the phone.In 2 days I missed over 25 calls.My I Phone does not work at my house most of the time.I seldom ever have more than 1 to 2 bars on my I Phone.I have sent my phone back 3 times.They can never duplicate the problem.My work threatened to fire me if I did not correct the problem.I went to the AT@T store and bought a new Razor phone.As AT@T said the problem is not their network its the phone.I switch my sim card back and forth between phones.My new phone has never dropped a call.It doesn't sound like I am in a barrel.I love the features on my I Phone but its not a very good phone.

Aug 14, 2007
Did you have your email set to retrieve every 15 minutes or something? That occurs in the background and on Edge and can further explain the inconsistency of receiving calls.
Speaking of that- how do I set email to automatically receive (every 15 minutes or whenever)?

Aug 14, 2007
I appreciate the help with mail and i hate to sound like a tool (as in posting questions to the most basic iPhone problems "how do I turn on the camera"
type of drivel) but my mail has no option for how often it checks for mail. Might this be a yahoo thing? As in you asking what frigging yahoo can't figure out basic mail settings.
-thanks

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Something to keep in mind Doc is that if the phone is checking e-mail every 15 min.... While the phone is in a data session ( such as checking for e-mail every 15 min ) any calls during the data session will go directly to voicemail and will not ring on your phone. I strongly suggest setting e-mail to manual. When its in manual it will check for e-mails as soon as you go into the mail section of the phone. or if you MUST have it on automatic I personally wouldn't go below 1 hr.

Another thing to keep in mind is goto missed calls... If the calls that you say you are missing show up there it may be that your just not hearing the phone ring. Also if you are in a building made of metal ( such as a factory ) unless the tower is pretty close the chances of the signal penetrating the building arent that great.

Hope the info helps out.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I appreciate the help with mail and i hate to sound like a tool (as in posting questions to the most basic iPhone problems "how do I turn on the camera"
type of drivel) but my mail has no option for how often it checks for mail. Might this be a yahoo thing? As in you asking what frigging yahoo can't figure out basic mail settings.
-thanks
Just so you don't think you're going crazy, I have the same problem with E-mail.
I even followed the steps set up on Apple.com
Guess what?

My phone doesn't have the option of checking for e-mails. The spot where it should exist is blank.
Very strange.

I always check manually for e-mail anyway, but it's still strange that it isn't even an option on my phone.

:)

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Just so you don't think you're going crazy, I have the same problem with E-mail.
I even followed the steps set up on Apple.com
Guess what?

My phone doesn't have the option of checking for e-mails. The spot where it should exist is blank.
Very strange.

I always check manually for e-mail anyway, but it's still strange that it isn't even an option on my phone.

:)

Question, Have you hacked or modded your phone in anyway?