Leopard - Stacks - Change the stack's icon.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Have you noticed how, with stacks in leopard, the folder or file that is the first in alphabetical order is the head icon of your stack? For instance, in my Applications Folder stack, the Address Book icon is the frontmost icon. Kind of annoying.

TUAW has posted that some Japanese guy has created a series of icons - one for each main folder on the Mac (Applications, Downloads, Home, Desktop, etc.). Each icon is a "drawer" - a semi-transparent, silver drawer shaped icon with a specific folder's icon on the front of it. By placing the icon in your stack, it becomes the front icon, changing the look of your stack. I added them to my dock, and they look pretty nice.

See TUAW's post.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The only thing I'm confused about on doing this is if I will need to leave that drawer icon file in my downloads folder "forever."

I'm a stickler for emptying out the Downloads folder when my web sessions are done and having this png in my downloads folder with an altered date modified to force it up front is just not as streamlined as I'd like in this respect.

Or, am I just reading the instructions wrong? I like the idea, I just don't like the implementation unfortunately.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You do have to keep it in the stack. But you do not have to change the date - those were old instructions. Just drop the icon into the stack It will pear at the front.