Leopard - To Do's and Notes - Close but no joy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
Waited in line about 45 minutes for Leopard at Ft Lauderdale Galleria. Installed with no problem. Took a total of about 1hr 20min on a Macbook Pro.

This post is to address the problem of to dos and notes on the iPhone.

TO DOS
Since one of my pet peeves with iPhone is no to do list, I immediately started playing with that new feature, which is oddly enough in Mail.

The to do's are ok...nothing sophisticated...but it is a start. If you have a normal POP or IMAP account, the todos remain local.

BUT IF YOU TRY A .MAC EMAIL ACCOUNT....the todos actually come over to the iPhone in a folder called "Apple Mail To Do". They are there, but all you get is the actual title of the to do...no due date, priority, etc. And no way to edit!

(All this happens through the .mac email sync, not by hooking up iPhone to iTunes on your machine.)

It shows "no sender" and has a mime attachment which the iPhone cannot read.

Again, it is a start. Hopefully there will be an iPhone update soon to allow all this.

NOTES
The notes feature is also in Mac Mail.

There is an option in preferences to store notes to the inbox. If you check this, on the .mac email account it will then sync over to the iPhone...in the inbox!

Again, it's not perfect. You can't edit it. But at least it is something.

Sorry if this post is kind of "stream of consciousness"....kind of testing this stuff out as I write the post.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
Waited in line about 45 minutes for Leopard at Ft Lauderdale Galleria. Installed with no problem. Took a total of about 1hr 20min on a Macbook Pro.

This post is to address the problem of to dos and notes on the iPhone.

TO DOS
Since one of my pet peeves with iPhone is no to do list, I immediately started playing with that new feature, which is oddly enough in Mail.

The to do's are ok...nothing sophisticated...but it is a start. If you have a normal POP or IMAP account, the todos remain local.

BUT IF YOU TRY A .MAC EMAIL ACCOUNT....the todos actually come over to the iPhone in a folder called "Apple Mail To Do". They are there, but all you get is the actual title of the to do...no due date, priority, etc. And no way to edit!

(All this happens through the .mac email sync, not by hooking up iPhone to iTunes on your machine.)

Again, it is a start. Hopefully there will be an iPhone update soon to allow all this.

NOTES
The notes feature is also in Mac Mail.

There is an option in preferences to store notes to the inbox. If you check this, on the .mac email account it will then sync over to the iPhone...in the inbox!

Again, it's not perfect. You can't edit it. But at least it is something.

Sorry if this post is kind of "stream of consciousness"....kind of testing this stuff out as I write the post.
well on the plus side atleast they are getting to the phone lol it makes me pretty confident that they will incorperate many of these features into the actual phone/iTunes....but other than that hows everything...i should be getting my copy monday in the mail...just want to know how everything is

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
So far so good....the install went very easily.

There is no show-stopper that means that you won't be able to figure out what to do....some of the features (Quick View comes to mind) require that you enable an option before it works (Quick View, I found, was in Finder Preferences).

I had to reinstall my Brother multifunction laser printer...it somehow got forgotten in the upgrade.

It'll take a little while to get used to. From what I have read (and now seen), many of the enhancements are small but will be useful...in many small ways that add up to an overall better experience.

I'll post more when I've had a chance to play with it more.

Gjmaz

Jul 31, 2008
TO DOS

---------------

No doubt! I'm in outside sales. EVERYONE has To Do list of some sort! What I get is exactly what you've described above. How difficult can this be? I was forced to use a Treo because it was the only Mac/PC cross platform OS. Basically, waaaayyyyy substandard next to the iPhone. But, it least it had a readily available To Do list. Jeez!

You left out one important other downer pertaining to the To Do list. You can't add any To Do's from your iPhone. They have to be generated from your computer. In other words . . . this relegates Apple's To Do list from an iPhone standpoint as useless!

Wake up, Apple IT people!