Leopards' Blue Screen of Death > Vista

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I was all excited to upgrade my 1 month old MacBook Pro to Leopard. The install went really well until near the end when the Mac / Windows Blue Screen of Death Appeared. (well documented on Mac forums, except I did'nt see anything about it, because I'm an early adopter)

At first I was not that concerned as I'm a software engineer for a living and use my MacBook Pro for my personal use. I was sure I could fix it and be on my way enjoying the new OS very quickly. Well so much for being optimistic! I think Apple took their eye off the ball on this one when they were building my iPhone, and thus the Leopard project suffered. Just one more black eye for the "perfect boys & girls in Cupertino".

Nonetheless, I'm used to these things, as Apple changes from the great computer company it once was, to the entertainment centric focus that seems to help pump up their ego. "Rock Stars" yeah.... that's what Jobs and company have always wanted to be. Also it's no longer important that it works, it only matters that it has an Apple Logo on it to impress your friends.

No worries I will get it sorted out. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and perhaps the reason here is that Jobs needs to be taken down a notch so that he doesn't slip off his pedestal of Fame and Hurt himself.

In the mean time, I'm super happy that I have a fine new, incredibly reliable ThinkPad which has never let me down. I will toss the MBP in the corner until I feel like fixing a "windows" machine.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Because you can't fix it doesn't mean it can't be. The blue screen problem has been well documented on the Mac Forums. The same thing happened to my MacBook Pro and I found the cure in the Apple forums.
Leopard* works flawlessly on it, and on my MacPro, but my Dual G5 had to go back to Tiger.

(*)Don't try this at home on a PPC.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I thought you'd thrown your MBP in the trash already!
If the fixes for blue screen don't work, I'd connect it to another Mac in target mode, copy all my stuff, initialize the HD, install Leopard on a virgin drive, and copy stuff back on it. That shouldn't take more than 2 hours. No reason to keep it in the corner.

I just remember when Mac Os 7 would freeze due to extension conflicts and restarting my Quadra 605 would take over 10 minutes, just to have another freeze again. Steve Jobs wasn't even around. I bought so many books "The Sad Mac", "Mac Secrets", The Macintosh Bible", and many more, all 500+ pages, that I became able to figure it all out. I sort of miss those days.:)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I just remember when Mac Os 7 would freeze due to extension conflicts and restarting my Quadra 605 would take over 10 minutes, just to have another freeze again. Steve Jobs wasn't even around. I bought so many books "The Sad Mac", "Mac Secrets", The Macintosh Bible", and many more, all 500+ pages, that I became able to figure it all out. I sort of miss those days.
So you were the other person waiting in line for Mac OS 7.5.:p

I too miss the glory days. Extension conflicts and the like. Remember Conflict Catcher?;)

-Chris

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So you were the other person waiting in line for Mac OS 7.5.:p

I too miss the glory days. Extension conflicts and the like. Remember Conflict Catcher?;)

-Chris
I'm sure I was there. Can't remember, though... Conflict catcher... speed doubler... Ram doubler... The stuff that made your 25 MHz CPU and 4 Mb of RAM think faster and crash even better. I did upgrade it to 8 Mb of RAM and it crashed less. It's really taking a walk down memory lane, so to speak.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I thought you'd thrown your MBP in the trash already!
You have a good memory, as yes my first MBP which overheated, warped and had more faults that I care to recall, is long gone

>>No reason to keep it in the corner.<<

Oh, that was just my dry British wit, I'm far to much of a Mac lover to leave it in the corner with it's Dunce Cap on for long.....:)

I just remember when Mac Os 7 would freeze due to extension conflicts and restarting my Quadra 605 would take over 10 minutes, just to have another freeze again. Steve Jobs wasn't even around. I bought so many books "The Sad Mac", "Mac Secrets", The Macintosh Bible", and many more, all 500+ pages, that I became able to figure it all out. I sort of miss those days.:)
Yes, those were the days... my first PowerBook? The ever so wonderful and super powerful 140! It was configured with a whopping 2mb Ram, with an incredibly large 20mb Hard Drive.....ha....ha.....I was the proud owner of the very first in the PowerBook family of 100/140/170. I had the pleasure of purchasing it by "walking into the Apple company store" within the campus of Apple computer in Cupertino. And to think that I paid nearly $3,000 including a copy of Claris Works! Oh and of course this was before a modem was included.

So yeah, it will take a lot more than a few bugs here and there with my new Apple stuff, especially when it comes to my longtime love of the PowerBooks, and now of course the MB and the MBP. In fact my latest MBP (just three weeks old now) is typical Apple, after they worked out the bugs on the early ones, I was in line and ready for on of the improved MBP's. My new one is terrific (well that until the Blue Screen) but since my last post I've already fixed that.

OK....OK.... one of my trade "secrets", complain like crazy on the forums as it accomplishes several valuable results:

1) Apple does indeed monitor these forums closely and many times it's more effective to list the problelms here as opposed to a onesy, twosy, basis by calling tech support.

2) One finds out who the true Mac loyalists are.

3) It's fun to antagonize the blind faithful that forget its just a computer and get all worked up. They take it so bleeping personally that one can get their blood pressure up with just a few choice words.... now that's funny.....:p

4) The poor chaps that REALLY get worked up and fire up their flame throwers have no life anyway, thus it's fun to get them all "fired up"......:)

Me? I will be the first to admit that I will have truly enjoyed using a new Mac laptop as my main computer, upgrading (every year) to the "latest just for fun" for more than the last decade and do not see that changing unless they no longer become available. In the meantime, I will "carry on" and keep the other on their toes.

Cheers Mate!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I remember using the first Mac made. Compared to what we have now, it's prehistoric.

It's kind of fun to think about what we take for granted that exists on our 10.5 Intel Macs and then think about how the first Mac stunned us. I wonder what the people of Apple in '86 would have done if one of us popped up and showed them Leopard?

billchase2

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
had the BSOD on my powerbook when i upgraded... of course, that was on the day it came out so people still didn't exactly know what the problem was. luckily, the next day i was able to figure out a solution.

leopard rocks.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The BSOD. Lol.
Now it's like a virus. Beware the BSOD!