Lesa Lesa Lesa

gemroz

Jan 5, 2008
I have a friend named Lesa. If i try to type her name while texting it wont let me type the "a" in her name. I have to type the word "less" then backup and erease the "s" then put in the "a". Why is this? It forces me to use the "s". Is this just my phone or do others do this? Its not really a big deal, I was just curious if it did this to others. Try to type Lesa on your phone and see if it will allow you to use the "a"

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I have a friend named Lesa. If i try to type her name while texting it wont let me type the "a" in her name. I have to type the word "less" then backup and erease the "s" then put in the "a". Why is this? It forces me to use the "s". Is this just my phone or do others do this? Its not really a big deal, I was just curious if it did this to others. Try to type Lesa on your phone and see if it will allow you to use the "a"
Is there a little white box with the word "less" that pops up when trying to type Lesa? This is the auto correct feature of the iPhone. You should be able to tap on the white box that pops up and (it should have the word and a little X). After tapping on this you can continue typing the word you were trying to type.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
wow thats really weird. i just tried typing lesa and it wont let me use the a either. i have to do the same thing as you.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This is because the iPhone keyboard's "tap zones"dynamically change as you type. After typing "les" the iPhone doesn't think you will need to type an "a" so it shrinks that tap zone, leaving more room for "s" which it thinks you will be more likely to need.

Here's an example of what happens when you type "tim." The iPhone thinks you won't need the letters R or W so it expands E's tap-zone to cover them.
--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
Is there a little white box with the word "less" that pops up when trying to type Lesa? This is the auto correct feature of the iPhone. You should be able to tap on the white box that pops up and (it should have the word and a little X). After tapping on this you can continue typing the word you were trying to type.
try typing lesa in a sms, it wont let you

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
You have two options, turn off the auto-correction or ask Lesa to change her name. ;)

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
yeah I kinda don't really like the auto correction that much as it messes me up more often than help me.
and one thing that is not really a big deal is that when u try to type "lol" it tries to change it to "LOL" I don't know why it does that. I have auto capitilization turned off and it gets kinda annoying when it does that. is there any way to change that?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Type Lesaa, then backspace then space. That's what I do whenever iPhone won't let me type a word.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What a pain in the butt. I would just stop talking to her.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
yeah I kinda don't really like the auto correction that much as it messes me up more often than help me.
and one thing that is not really a big deal is that when u try to type "lol" it tries to change it to "LOL" I don't know why it does that. I have auto capitilization turned off and it gets kinda annoying when it does that. is there any way to change that?
type lol in lower case and hit the x in the LOL box and eventually iPhone will learn lol and won't correct anymore

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
The more you type the name the more the predictive text will know what your trying to say. Give it a few weeks and type the name often, it will sort itself out.

gemroz

Jan 5, 2008
Interesting. Thanks for all the responses. I have also asked Lesa to change the spelling of her name to Lisa like the rest of the world spells it.. lol

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
This is because the iPhone keyboard's "tap zones"dynamically change as you type. After typing "les" the iPhone doesn't think you will need to type an "a" so it shrinks that tap zone, leaving more room for "s" which it thinks you will be more likely to need.

Here's an example of what happens when you type "tim." The iPhone thinks you won't need the letters R or W so it expands E's tap-zone to cover them.

Mike
Thats fricken awesome. That's the first new thing I have learned about the iPhone in ages.

Does it do this only on the last letter of a word or in the middle of it as well. Or does it begin dynamically changing once a word can be formed?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thats fricken awesome. That's the first new thing I have learned about the iPhone in ages.

Does it do this only on the last letter of a word or in the middle of it as well. Or does it begin dynamically changing once a word can be formed?
I'm pretty sure it does it only when it's reasonably certain that nothing else can be formed with the letters it "removes" if you will.

About halfway through the following video it gets into this feature:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/gettingstarted/keyboard.html

--
Mike

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
type lol in lower case and hit the x in the LOL box and eventually iPhone will learn lol and won't correct anymore
thats what i thought, but i do that everytime but never does anything. :(

rennyn

Bronze
Works fine for me, donno why you are having an issue, and I do have autocorrect and all that on. I type in Lesa, it suggests Less, I tap it and it goes away and Lesa remains.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Works fine for me, donno why you are having an issue, and I do have autocorrect and all that on. I type in Lesa, it suggests Less, I tap it and it goes away and Lesa remains.
You misunderstood the problem.

--
Mike

rennyn

Bronze
You misunderstood the problem.

--
Mike
What exactly is the problem then? Maybe I'm confused.

OP said he can't type 'Lesa' on his phone. I can.

Others have said it might be because the typing zone changes as you type, which is true. But it does not prevent me from hitting the A key after L-e-s.