Let Me Make Sure I Have This Right

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I just got a blackberry about a month and a half ago and in so doing had to sign a new 2-year contract (AT&T). So, when I get my iPhone today I should just buy it in the store and go home to activate through iTunes. At that point, I will be able to keep my existing phone number (currently on my blackberry) and just agree to sign up for a new 2-year contract.

Does this sound right?

Mike

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I just got a blackberry about a month and a half ago and in so doing had to sign a new 2-year contract (AT&T). So, when I get my iPhone today I should just buy it in the store and go home to activate through iTunes. At that point, I will be able to keep my existing phone number (currently on my blackberry) and just agree to sign up for a new 2-year contract.

Does this sound right?

Mike
Yes.

But your Blackberry won't work anymore, but you will be able to move your iPhone SIM to the blackberry if you needed to use it.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Thanks for confirming this for me.
I would do this all at the store, but I am afraid that I will get some incompetent salesperson trying to convince me that I can not simply sign up for a new 2 year contract, but have to sign up for a new line (new phone number) and all. I can already envision this conversation.
I wonder how pissed they will be (or how hard they will try and sell) when they are told that all I want is simply the phone and not to activate it right now.
I wouldn't even put it past them to say something like "in order to purchase an iPhone, all phones must be immediately activated in the store."

Mike

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks for confirming this for me.
I would do this all at the store, but I am afraid that I will get some incompetent salesperson trying to convince me that I can not simply sign up for a new 2 year contract, but have to sign up for a new line (new phone number) and all. I can already envision this conversation.
I wonder how pissed they will be (or how hard they will try and sell) when they are told that all I want is simply the phone and not to activate it right now.
I wouldn't even put it past them to say something like "in order to purchase an iPhone, all phones must be immediately activated in the store."

Mike
Yeah I see where your coming from. Luckily in order to keep the lines moving, I don't even think there is an option to activate in-store. They simply sell the hardware.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Yes.

But your Blackberry won't work anymore, but you will be able to move your iPhone SIM to the blackberry if you needed to use it.
are you sure you can move iPhone sim into other phones? if so that would be awesome for when i go fishing or something, so i don't get my iPhone wet.

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Yes.

This is wrong.

When you put the iPhone sim in the BlackBerry only the phone and text messages will work.

The sim does NOT support BlackBerry push mail, so you will not have access to your email or the internet. If you read the info on the AT&T site it says that the sim will work, but the data will be through MediaNet which is AT&T's wap web page to sell services such as ringtones, graphics etc. It does not give you regular internet access.

Also it does not connect to the BIS servers which provision the BB to function normally.

So the easy solution if you want to use your BlackBerry is to get another contract for 2 years with the iPhone and a separate phone number and data plan. That way you have both devices functioning.

The only downside is that your monthly cell phone bill will double.

Thank You Apple