Let me make this SIMPLE!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Scenario:

1) Take 1-iphone, purchased on iDay, with 1.0 firmware, activated with iTunes to AT&T

2) Updated to 1.0.1 with iTunes

3) Updated to 1.0.2 with iTunes

4) Jailbroken with AppTap-programs added with Installer and iBrickr- mods made to themes, background, ringtones, etc.

5) Updated to 1.1.1 through iTunes (inadvertantly).

6) Downgraded back to 1.0.2 using the method here at EIP and again jailbroken by that method to be able to once again add apps, themes, ringtones, etc.

7) Again modded by adding apps through Installer and iBrickr; custom themes, backgrounds, ringtones, etc

8) NEVER un-locked or attempted to un-lock

Question: Will again updating this phone to 1.1.1 now, make this a totally "clean" or "virginized" phone, as if it had been purchased with 1.1.1 on it already? Or, will there remain remnants of apps, themes, etc, that could someday possibly be used as a "clue" by Apple updates to know this phone was once modded?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Scenario:

1) Take 1-iphone, purchased on iDay, with 1.0 firmware, activated with iTunes to AT&T

2) Updated to 1.0.1 with iTunes

3) Updated to 1.0.2 with iTunes

4) Jailbroken with AppTap-programs added with Installer and iBrickr- mods made to themes, background, ringtones, etc.

5) Updated to 1.1.1 through iTunes (inadvertantly).

6) Downgraded back to 1.0.2 using the method here at EIP and again jailbroken by that method to be able to once again add apps, themes, ringtones, etc.

7) Again modded by adding apps through Installer and iBrickr; custom themes, backgrounds, ringtones, etc

8) NEVER un-locked or attempted to un-lock

Question: Will again updating this phone to 1.1.1 now, make this a totally "clean" or "virginized" phone, as if it had been purchased with 1.1.1 on it already? Or, will there remain remnants of apps, themes, etc, that could someday possibly be used as a "clue" by Apple updates to know this phone was once modded?
Yes, some folders are not wiped by the update process. And I have heard that (some) Apple employees know how to check for this, and will do so.

If you want to be safe, uninstall all third party apps first. Then, after updating to 1.1.1, do another restore to 1.1.1--and do not restore your settings (settings from even uninstalled 3rd party apps are restored).

--
Mike

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Yes, some folders are not wiped by the update process. And I have heard that (some) Apple employees know how to check for this, and will do so.

If you want to be safe, uninstall all third party apps first. Then, after updating to 1.1.1, do another restore to 1.1.1--and do not restore your settings (settings from even uninstalled 3rd party apps are restored).

--
Mike
Hmmm...okay. That's as I suspected based on a previous conversation we had. Now I'm wondering, if it might be best (after un-installing all apps, themes, etc) to do a restore (not from backup) to 1.0.2 first, THEN to proceed with an update to 1.1.1. I'm curious about this, because I was wondering if when restoring to 1.0.2, that it would really "take", since AppTap was required to achieve this "downgrade" to begin with. What's your thoughts? I know...convoluted, eh? It's a vicious cycle. :p

P.S. I think that in this case, your words "do not restore your settings" is equivalent to my term "not from backup".

P.S.S. My thinkiing on this is, what IF Apple plans on even stronger "bricking" policy in future updates (contrary to current scuttlebutt regarding Apple and 3rd party apps) and possibly even bricks phones that were never un-locked, but merely had 3rd party apps installed. Ignore the idea that this is unlikely, for now. I'm merely speculating here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hmmm...okay. That's as I suspected based on a previous conversation we had. Now I'm wondering, if it might be best (after un-installing all apps, themes, etc) to do a restore (not from backup) to 1.0.2 first, THEN to proceed with an update to 1.1.1. I'm curious about this, because I was wondering if when restoring to 1.0.2, that it would really "take", since AppTap was required to achieve this "downgrade" to begin with. What's your thoughts? I know...convoluted, eh? It's a vicious cycle. :p

P.S. I think that in this case, your words "do not restore your settings" is equivalent to my term "not from backup".

P.S.S. My thinkiing on this is, what IF Apple plans on even stronger "bricking" policy in future updates (contrary to current scuttlebutt regarding Apple and 3rd party apps) and possibly even bricks phones that were never un-locked, but merely had 3rd party apps installed. Ignore the idea that this is unlikely, for now. I'm merely speculating here.
Well you could downgrade to 1.02 using iBrickr (or whatever). Then you could downgrade the baseband, since that is now possible (for iPhones that were never unlocked). Then you should be able to restore to 1.0.2 normally via iTunes.

If all that doesn't wipe it, I don't know what will!

BTW: I don't really think Apple purposely bricked phones. What I am seeing now is that AnySIM et al may have been the problem:
http://code.google.com/p/iphone-elite/wiki/iPhoneBrick

So I doubt Apple will go out of their way to brick phones with just third-party apps. Moreover the 1.1.1 update was pretty big, at least under the hood. Time will tell...

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Well you could downgrade to 1.02 using iBrickr (or whatever). Then you could downgrade the baseband, since that is now possible (for iPhones that were never unlocked). Then you should be able to restore to 1.0.2 normally via iTunes.

If all that doesn't wipe it, I don't know what will!

--
Mike
Yeah..I'm following you. I've really opened up a can of worms here. :p I'm just pondering all of this hypothetically, trying to outsmart Apple and what future moves they might make. Apparently, I have too much time on my hands..lol.