Let's talk about Google Chrome

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Chrome has been updated, and the new version brings some decent goodies.

If you think Siri will let you get away with cheating on her with Google, then update your Chrome browser today and start talking to Google with your voice. The update also promises 5% faster page loads.

You can update via the About screen, obviously, and if you don't yet use Chrome and need to download it, you can get it here.

I just tested it out by asking "What is the weather like now?" and got accurate results.

I performed a few more tests and was fairly impressed with the accuracy of its speech recognition.

I asked "How do you say house in Greek?" and got a perfect answer. Unfortunately, the answer did not include a "speak this" (speaker) icon so that I could hear the word in Greek, which is something that you do get if you go through translate.google.com.

house.jpg

I asked "Who is Jonny Ive" numerous times and it couldn't figure it out, no matter how carefuly I enunciated his last name. It offered me "Johnny Eyes," "Johnny I've," and "Johnny Five," among others.

However, it had no problems answering "Who is Tim Cook?"

Go ahead, take it for a spin!

UPDATE: The iOS version of Chrome will receive an update "over the coming days" to support this voice search capability.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Apparently, Google is slowly starting to feel more comfortable with 64-bit software, as they have just now added 64-bit support to the Canary (experimental) build of Chrome for OS X.

If it turns out not to be a complete botch job there, then 64-bit support should eventually trickle down to the Stable Release of Chrome.

Google is, of course, quite late to the 64-bit party on OS X (and they equally late on Windows, as well), as Safari (needless to say), Firefox, and even Opera have been running in 64-bit mode for quite some time.

Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 2.55.51 PM.png

Above: Google is cautiously letting its Chrome browser (albeit only the Canary build for now) play in the 64-bit end of the pool.

Last edited:

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I just checked my version of Chrome and it said it was up to date on version 38.xx.....I downloaded the updated version and now I'm cruising the net at 64-bit! ;)