Let's vote for Tinman and MacMan - Take a gander at this thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
here's my original post:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/recent-banishments-holiday-crackdown.16678/

Basically, I think we'd all agree that Tin and MMP are valued members of this site, and don't spout off, and have knowledge that we all find useful. With this whole situation that got out of control, it's obvious that Chris can't moderate all of the sites he has by himself. The marketplace has been close for over a month now, b/c he couldn't moderate it.

Soooo -

I vote for MacManPro and Tinman be added as site moderators (should they want it).

Last edited by a moderator:

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
With this whole situation that got out of control, it's obvious that Chris can't moderate all of the sites he has by himself.
Not to sidetrack your intentions, but I don't think it's fair to say "the whole situation got out of control". I witnessed it from start to finish and thought Chris dealt with the situation promptly, professionally and decisively. If Chris feels the need and Tinman and MacManPro have the time to serve as moderators, they are welcome to assist Chris, but I just want to state for the records that the instigator(s), not the situation which you referenced, were out of control, and Chris did put them all in their place - out of this place. Hair-splitting? No.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I agree, but it's gotta be quite a strain haveing to come back to the site and see 4 or 5 new names to ban, take the time to investigate, etc... That's just my opinion. I hardly ever see the other mod, (k something, i think) and it just seems like a lot for one person.

All that said, Chris does a great job, and handled it well.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Aww boo someone has my avatar :(

Anyway, yeah cool idea for mods, this site could definitely use a little more active moderation.

On the flip side of things, the action that went on today had me hitting the site up almost every hour, something I haven't done here in a long time. A lot of the veterans here also chimed in on one thread in particular and we all had a good laugh.

Community moderation has worked pretty well here, we can ticket posts with warnings, and we can gang up on people with our pitchforks and torches which is also pretty fun.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Aww boo someone has my avatar :(

Anyway, yeah cool idea for mods, this site could definitely use a little more active moderation.

On the flip side of things, the action that went on today had me hitting the site up almost every hour, something I haven't done here in a long time. A lot of the veterans here also chimed in on one thread in particular and we all had a good laugh.

Community moderation has worked pretty well here, we can ticket posts with warnings, and we can gang up on people with our pitchforks and torches which is also pretty fun.
Also true. I know that threads that I've flagged have gotten almost immediate attention, sometimes it only took minutes....

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
My personal view is that this site is great because it's NOT over-modded. I'm sure the two proposed would make great Mods, but in my experience from my own forums, the less intervention and power politics and the fewer chiefs the better. So there are nutters come and go - ignore them quietly and they go quicker than they came.
My next forum will be like this one.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
My personal view is that this site is great because it's NOT over-modded. I'm sure the two proposed would make great Mods, but in my experience from my own forums, the less intervention and power politics and the fewer chiefs the better. So there are nutters come and go - ignore them quietly and they go quicker than they came.
My next forum will be like this one.
i have to agree with this. If you stop and think about how much stuff DOESN'T happen here, i think you can say the current admins/mods have done a superb job.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Chris and Kay have done an amazing job at keeping this forum running smoothly and I commend them for it. I don't know if this one major incident warrants the need to question their abilities. Like others have said, if everyone Moderates the forum in their own way (by reporting posts and such) then Chris and Kay's jobs will be much easier as well.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Ok - Let me clarify once again. I'm not saying that Chris and Kay are doing bad jobs. I think the site runs well. My point was, something like this happens (though few and few between) IMO, it'd be nice to have more mods. That's all.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
I think rxmxsh is saying it as an honor to MacMan and Tinman, not as a dig at Chris. Chris does a good job but it is always better to have a few pair of trusted eyes that have your back so you can breath a bit.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think the site had mod issues during the release, but those have been ironed out. The spam reporting system has worked out great. There are a few members here that do not have the most posts, but actively report issues within minutes. MacGirl and gcvt report 80% or so of spam activity. I think the first few months of hard, fast rules here at EIC helped weed out the bad element here. Every once in awhile we utilize the infraction system (something I've never used in my previous forums) and most users fall in line. Yesterday's mayhem was completely controlled. In some ways, I let it go longer to help some members see that I wasn't being unreasonable or guilty of over-modding. In fact, the legendary thread started out by saying things like, "The admin was band happy?"... " However I've always noticed a heavy hand with the administrator."....." It's a shame that people get banned on this forum for what I would call minor infractions."

Sometimes it's a good thing to air out the dirty laundry. As for MacManPro and Tinman, I love those guys. My mantra for all of my sites has been to "create a knowledgeable, friendly place for smartphone discussion". Those guys exemplify that statement.

As for more mods, that's always a consideration and perhaps the new year will bring a few new mods. For now, I'm pretty happy with how this community has developed.

-Chris

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Chris, how do the "infractions" work? As a user that has one, do you just get auto-banned after so many infractions or is it simply a method of being able to keep an eye on someone as in make a note in their permanent record?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris, how do the "infractions" work? As a user that has one, do you just get auto-banned after so many infractions or is it simply a method of being able to keep an eye on someone as in make a note in their permanent record?
Basically, it allows me to quickly address a post that voilates rules. Let's says someone starts throwing "f" bombs around. The offending post gets edited and the infraction is given. There are preset infractions (insulting member, langauge, etc). I can also set up custom infractions. These expire in time and most users understand the need for rules. I have a pretty good idea of who's who here at EIC. Obviously, a number of factors determine whether or not a user is banned. The large portion of bans are: cellphone scam, free iPhone scams, dvd to iPhone software spam and self-promotion (new user who starts with "hey, check out my iPhone site"). This group has also gotten a bit wily, but after doing this for 5 years or so, I'm able to discern spammers from the regular member.

-Chris

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Basically, it allows me to quickly address a post that voilates rules. Let's says someone starts throwing "f" bombs around. The offending post gets edited and the infraction is given. There are preset infractions (insulting member, langauge, etc). I can also set up custom infractions. These expire in time and most users understand the need for rules. I have a pretty good idea of who's who here at EIC. Obviously, a number of factors determine whether or not a user is banned. The large portion of bans are: cellphone scam, free iPhone scams, dvd to iPhone software spam and self-promotion (new user who starts with "hey, check out my iPhone site"). This group has also gotten a bit wily, but after doing this for 5 years or so, I'm able to discern spammers from the regular member.

-Chris
Do you read each and every post in each thread?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

-Chris
I am wondering something else, Chris. When somone is banned, in addition to being IP based, is the account locked to where they can't post?