LG Envy Vs. iPhone texting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
My texting speed has improved a lot on my iPhone, but that's only because it was so bad (I think everyones is) when I first started using the phone. Compared to my old envy, the iPhones keyboard is just really inferior. I typed a random sentence on both phones, and was able to text the sentence a lot faster on the envy, and if you make a mistake on the iPhone somewhere, forget about it. You're looking at another 15 seconds just to correct it. I think it's obvious that, as far as texting goes, a virtual keyboard will never be as good as a real one, at least not on a device this small. It might be comparable to a treo, but on a phone like the envy with a keyboard that's spread out more-there's just no comparison.

cdfink08

Jul 17, 2007
I disagree I had a Cingular 8125 aka htc wizard and its keyboard is even better than that of the one on the envy...and I find myself typing just as fast on my iPhone I believe people now when they say you have to "trust" the keyboard...now don't get me wrong I do miss the keyboard on the 8125 as far as I know its the best keyboard on a phone that I have ever seen...but in terms of speed I'd say I'm about even but thats just my opinion

genexrocket

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
this is my first cellphone with a keyboard and i usually get around 40wpm via iPhonetypingtest.com,,, seriously, "trust" the keyboard...

Thatguy

Jul 20, 2007
I think that I text fast enough for my own purposes. I have never really used a physical keyboard on a cell phone, but i find that the only real thing that slows me down is lag due to a webpage still loading. I am on my iPhone right now, and i only made two or three errors, even while typing with two fingers. I've found that if you correct mistakes before moving on to the next word, its not too painful. Corrections for me are normally quick unless I have to use the magnifying glass

cdfink08

Jul 17, 2007
I found that if you try typing on a forum with your iPhone before the page fully loaded that the predictive text doesn't work...but if you let it load first them the predictive text does work....and Im also typing on my iPhone

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My texting speed has improved a lot on my iPhone, but that's only because it was so bad (I think everyones is) when I first started using the phone. Compared to my old envy, the iPhones keyboard is just really inferior. I typed a random sentence on both phones, and was able to text the sentence a lot faster on the envy, and if you make a mistake on the iPhone somewhere, forget about it. You're looking at another 15 seconds just to correct it. I think it's obvious that, as far as texting goes, a virtual keyboard will never be as good as a real one, at least not on a device this small. It might be comparable to a treo, but on a phone like the envy with a keyboard that's spread out more-there's just no comparison.
Well I for one would never own a phone like the EnV as I don't like slide out or flip style designs. So for me the only comparison I would make is to a Treo, BB, Blackjack, etc.

That said I did look at the EnV and came away with the impression that the main LCD should be twice as wide (which would then give it the same res as the iPhone).

Right now I am at least as fast on my iPhone than I was on my Treo (tested it).

--
Mike

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
this is my first cellphone with a keyboard and i usually get around 40wpm via iPhonetypingtest.com,,, seriously, "trust" the keyboard...
The only way you can really text with reasonable speed on the iPhone is with the phone sitting down on a flat surface like a desk and using one finger. If you're holding the phone the speed decreases significantly. If you're driving, forget about it. Please don't say "you shouldn't text while driving"-because we've all done it before on occasion.

If you've ever used a phone like an envy, there's no way in hell anyone with an iPhone could text as fast as me on an envy. It's not even comparable. I guess the iPhones keyboard is about as good as it gets for a virtual keyboard, but that isn't saying much.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The only way you can really text with reasonable speed on the iPhone is with the phone sitting down on a flat surface like a desk and using one finger. If you're holding the phone the speed decreases significantly.
Speak for yourself. I never type with my iPhone on a flat surface and do just fine (portrait or landscape).

And it's kinda odd that you would state that when you are comparing it to a horizontally orientated clamshell device; about the most un-ergonomic format I can think of.

If you're driving, forget about it. Please don't say "you shouldn't text while driving"-because we've all done it before on occasion.
No, "we" haven't. I would never text while driving--have never--because to do so would make me a threat to myself and other drivers. And if you are saying you actually do so with an EnV that pretty much requires two hands to operate I'd say you are acting narcissistic.

--
Mike

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Speak for yourself. I never type with my iPhone on a flat surface and do just fine (portrait or landscape).

And it's kinda odd that you would state that when you are comparing it to a horizontally orientated clamshell device; about the most un-ergonomic format I can think of.

No, "we" haven't. I would never text while driving--have never--because to do so would make me a threat to myself and other drivers. And if you are saying you actually do so with an EnV that pretty much requires two hands to operate I'd say you are acting narcissistic.

--
Mike
You can text on the LG without opening it. Apparently you have no businesss commenting on how fast this phone can text if you didn't know this.

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
You can text on the LG without opening it. Apparently you have no businesss commenting on how fast this phone can text if you didn't know this.
Yes, you CAN text with this phone closed, but if you read the whole thread, you'd realize that everyone is talking about a full keyboard, thus your argument is useless because your talking about the closed enV.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Yes, you CAN text with this phone closed, but if you read the whole thread, you'd realize that everyone is talking about a full keyboard, thus your argument is useless because your talking about the closed enV.
Are you retarded? He said "the LG requires 2 hands to operate". I was replying directly to his quote-which is not true.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I know exactly what I was talking about. You on the other hand have an issue with keeping your story straight.

--
Mike

cmoney

Jul 27, 2007
The only way you can really text with reasonable speed on the iPhone is with the phone sitting down on a flat surface like a desk and using one finger. If you're holding the phone the speed decreases significantly.
Again, speak for yourself. Right off the bat I've been holding the iPhone and typing with 2 thumbs. For regular dictionary-based words I'm faster than my Blackjack and average 40 words/minute. The biggest difference for me is that I know I don't have to hit the exact key, I just get to the general location and tap. I let the iPhone handle the rest! I consciously slow down when I know I'm typing a proper noun or an acronym I haven't used before but after that, it's back to trusting iPhone.

evilhomer

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Are you retarded? He said "the LG requires 2 hands to operate". I was replying directly to his quote-which is not true.
You are the most worthless poster on this site. I wish you, your negative comments, and your childish name calling would find a "12 and under" place to hang out.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
My quote was about the keyboard. I knew it, the poster you just insulted knew it... What is your problem?

--
Mike
You never mentioned the keyboard in your quote, nice try though. Even if you had, it's still irrelevant. The iPhone is horrific when texting with one hand. You might as well just send morse code.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You never mentioned the keyboard in your quote, nice try though. Even if you had, it's still irrelevant. The iPhone is horrific when texting with one hand. You might as well just send morse code.
You are a piece of work.

You started this thread comparing speed of the iPhone's keyboard to the Envy [sic], claiming the iPhone comes up short.

And NOW you claim you were comparing the numeric keypad of the EnV to the iPhone's keyboard?! Sorry, that's not even worth comparing.

I am certain all iPhone users would really want to punch out texts on a numeric keypad while looking at a postage stamp sized LCD:

Oh yes, how 1999!

I mean, no one would prefer to type this way, should they have an enV.

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
considering i switched to the iPhone from the env, i can safely say that no phone comes close to the env in typing speed. i could type as fast on that as i could on my computer. and thats very very fast. i phone is fine, but doesn't touch the real keyboard layout

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
considering i switched to the iPhone from the env, i can safely say that no phone comes close to the env in typing speed. i could type as fast on that as i could on my computer. and thats very very fast. i phone is fine, but doesn't touch the real keyboard layout
Except he's now talking about typing with the numeric keypad...

--
Mike

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I love my iPhone and type really fast on it if you just trust the keyboard.
The envy is soo old fashioned now that the iPhone is out, Comon keep up with the times.