LG Vu or 3G iPhone?

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I had an original 8gb iPhone and I loved it. The only thing that really bothered me is that it had no MMS and SwirlyMMS was impossible to set up with AT&T.

Well I ended up selling it after six months, for full retail price. People on eBay are such suckers, lol. Now I've been researching the LG Vu which has AT&T TV, and everything the iPhone has, in addition to MMS!

The downside to the Vu though, is that it costs double the price that the iPhone 3G will. (Or is $199 a new contract/upgrade price?) I've also heard that the screen isn't as sensitive as the iPhone.

So which would be a better choice? One thing that's keeping me on the fence is the amazing iPhone 3g commercial. I've seen it about 20 times already. :oops:

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
iPhone bro, whats the obvious choice tough guy

Or the better more obvious choice

IMO the "VU" looks like a toy haha, reminds me of my Sidekick 3 lol!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Stay away from LG

My last phone (before my iPhone) was an LG. I was so disappointed in it that I've vowed never to buy an LG product. I just got a 46" TV and chose Samsung. I won't look at LG TVs.

Consider the source.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I sure wouldn't pay double the price for a phone just to get MMS. Seems like an expensive way to get this feature. Stick with the iPhone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
iPhone all the way. I played with the Vu in the store. Not really impressed at all. Not that I'm one of those guys that says the iPhone is the be all end all because there are more than a few things that piss me off about it, but the Vu is just a half ass knockoff if you ask me. The screen although you can set the sensitivity levels, even on the highest I found myself pushing several times on it to get it to recognize the touch. Same with my fiance's Samsung Glyde I just bought her for Verizon. I'm gonna return that as soon as the LG Dare comes out as it sounds like it might be the first carrier offered touch screen iPhone wannabe that's decent. None of them seem to get the touch interaction to where it's as responsive as the iPhone. I don't think any will until Nokia launches theirs which is strangely dubbed the "Tube". Nokia's will have a glass screen like the iPhone and I think they are the only one other than Apple and RIM that will be able to make one of these phones that are actually decent or better.

ibTom

Bronze
Mar 21, 2008
I can speak from personal experience. I had the iPhone for 2.5 months before I sold in anticipation of the new 3g iPhone.

I had the Vu for about a few days. The touch screen on LG phones are horrible. Navigating the menus is so tedious. Get this..

Scrolling through the contact information you are supposed to use a scroll bar on the far right which is fairly difficult. So if you actually touch the contact names and try to scroll that way the contact list goes the OPPOSITE way of your finger's direction. It's absolutely horrible.

Texting on the Vu is just terrible, not to mention you are required to calibrate the screen's accuracy.

There is no doubt the iPhone is better in every which way except one. The LG Vu is considerably lighter.

I also had the LG Voyager when I was with Verizon and the touch screen's sensitivity is terrible. The saving grace was it had and physical keyboard and buttons that allowed you to practiclaly bypass using the touchscreen. On the Vu you have no choice but to use the touchscreen.

IU would recomment the Blackberry Curve. It's FAR cheaper than the vu if you are eligible for the upgrade.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
blah, Curve, had it for a few days. That browser sucks.

even with opera mini on it I still didn't like it.

Also no 3g.

iPhone 3g all the way.

ibTom

Bronze
Mar 21, 2008
blah, Curve, had it for a few days. That browser sucks.

even with opera mini on it I still didn't like it.

Also no 3g.

iPhone 3g all the way.
I did not say it was better than an iPhone. I simply meant that if you are looking for an alternative to the iPhone, the Curve would be my choice. Navigating the phone is the easiest I've tried thus far aside from the iPhone. It's well know the iPhone's browser is the best out there hands down. Yes, lack of 3G isn't that great either.

inletdoc

Jan 11, 2007
vu

Left the iPhone to try the VU. Went back to the iPhone within 3 days and sold the Vu. There is no comparison.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
why don't you wait and see if the app store has an mms option. you never know and plus mms isn't even that big of a deal. i wouldn't get rid of my iPhone just for that. obviously the opinions on here are biased, but you gotta figure out for yourself what you really want from your phone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I did not say it was better than an iPhone. I simply meant that if you are looking for an alternative to the iPhone, the Curve would be my choice. Navigating the phone is the easiest I've tried thus far aside from the iPhone. It's well know the iPhone's browser is the best out there hands down. Yes, lack of 3G isn't that great either.
my biggest gripe with the Curve is that damn track ball. HOpefully with the improved browser and OS on the Bold they also improve that stupid trackball.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Trying to find a phone better than the iPhone is just like trying to find an MP3 player better than the iPod. Your search will be in vain! I will own iPhones for the rest of my life.

BTW, I tried the Voyager and almost burst out laughing. Every time I touched the screen it would take 2 or 3 hits per button for it to register. It's kind of sad, all of these companies will spend millions trying to copy the iPhone the best they can but for some reason they just can't do it!

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Trying to find a phone better than the iPhone is just like trying to find an MP3 player better than the iPod. Your search will be in vain! I will own iPhones for the rest of my life.

BTW, I tried the Voyager and almost burst out laughing. Every time I touched the screen it would take 2 or 3 hits per button for it to register. It's kind of sad, all of these companies will spend millions trying to copy the iPhone the best they can but for some reason they just can't do it!
That is soo true man;)

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I went to the att store and tried the vu, it screen is a lot less sensitive then the iPhones, the iu isn't even close to being as good. Plus you have to get the 30 bucks for internet PLUS the 15+ for tv. I am sticking with the iPhone. The are going to have to try harder, to make something more competitive.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
So is $199 the retail price for the iPhone 3g or is that a new contract price?

And I really hope that they launch some form of MMS application in the App store. I really don't know why Apple continue to ignore that feature.