Life with iTunes after jailbreak and unlock

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Hi Guys counting the days until I get my iPhone and as I live in Ireland I have no choice but to unlock and jailbreak the thing.

I have done a lot of research on the jailbreak and unlock and am pretty happy with them (ziPhone). However, once this is done whats life with iTunes and syncing like...will I be able to connect sync music,videos,contacts etc without iTunes trying to disable/bricking my iPhone. I know I wont be able to update the firmware etc but will iTunes be my unlocked iPhones friend or enemy?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The iPhone will behave just as it should with the current iTunes versions that have come out since the iPhone was unlocked. Who's to say that won't change in the future, kind of like how Microsoft checks for genuine validation through the internet. For now, and looks to be OK in the future, everything works as it should with iTunes and a jailbroken and/or unlocked phone. You'll be fine :) Hope you get one :)

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
The iPhone will behave just as it should with the current iTunes versions that have come out since the iPhone was unlocked. Who's to say that won't change in the future, kind of like how Microsoft checks for genuine validation through the internet. For now, and looks to be OK in the future, everything works as it should with iTunes and a jailbroken and/or unlocked phone. You'll be fine :) Hope you get one :)
I've heard that you lose the ability to use the iTunes store or listen to purchased music because Jailbreaking screws up DRM. True or false?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I have 1.1.3 jailbroken by ziPhone and I have had no trouble syncing. I have heard of a few pple having problems here and there but usually its just a bug that needs to be fixed. I wouldn't worry about anything. I sync movies, photos, music, music videos, and so on. No problems here!

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't have any DRM (iTunes) music so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's an issue. Jailbreaking has nothign to do with how these files communicate and Apple nor the iPhone itself does a "self check" if it's jailbroken. Now unlocking is a different story with the self check part, but that won't affect your music either.

Again, I'm not 100% sure so I hope someone can come chime in on this issue.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
have u ever heard of "obey" ? Its kinda a brand of artwork so to speak. I can't really explain it. Anyways my avatar is one of there more famouse images.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
What I've read is that the DRM from iTunes is directly tied to the kernel. When you take a 1.1.3 iPhone and Jailbreak it as-is, you break this. To prevent it, you have to downgrade to 1.1.1, jailbreak that, upgrade to 1.1.2, jailbreak that and THEN upgrade to 1.1.3 for the final jailbreak. However, when you do that, you break DRM as well.

I've read all kinds of conflicting information about this. Most people who respond have only non-DRM music on their iPhone (MP3's d/l from net, ripped, or whatever) so the iTunes purchased music has no relevance for them. I have bought hundreds of dollars of music, videos and audiobooks from iTunes and have been very hesitant to jailbreak my iPod Touch UNTIL I can get confirmation on this.

I've posted many times over on iPodTouchFans forum on this topic...it's never been answered by anyone who has DRM music.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
it does not affect purchased music (or anything else with syncing) at all.
Do you have a jailbroken iPhone with purchased DRM music from iTunes? I'm not questioning your statement as much as verifying that you are actually someone who has jailbroken a phone that already had DRM music on it and that music played after the Jailbreak process.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Do you have a jailbroken iPhone with purchased DRM music from iTunes? I'm not questioning your statement as much as verifying that you are actually someone who has jailbroken a phone that already had DRM music on it and that music played after the Jailbreak process.
I currently have purchased videos on my jb'n iPhone, and have had music on it in the past. no issues at all. I've even rented from the iTunes store just to see if it would work.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
You are, quite literally, the first person to answer this from an experienced position. Thank you very much.

One last question....what version of iTunes are you running?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the i've done many of them, but the last one was the ZiPhone 1.1.3.

i'm pretty sure this is the only one that works with iTunes movie rentals.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
You are, quite literally, the first person to answer this from an experienced position. Thank you very much.

One last question....what version of iTunes are you running?
Yeah i was reading and watching no one answer the question. I know some people have no but i'll go ahead and say i have a jailbroken (but not unlocked) phone on 1.1.3 and i have bought music on the store. I am on 7.6, but i am going to update to 7.6.1 any day now when i find myself not too lazy...i know, how can i be so lazy that i can click the button to update?

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
the i've done many of them, but the last one was the ZiPhone 1.1.3.

i'm pretty sure this is the only one that works with iTunes movie rentals.
Sorry so many questions, but again, you are the first who has answered them all.

Was yours an 8 or 16GB iPhone?