Lifeproof case, 4 vs. 4s? Other water-resistant thin cases?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColKurtz

Feb 14, 2012
My company just allowed use of iPhones, after years of being cursed with Blackberrys. I had to pay for the iPhone itself (4s, 16GB), but they pay for the monthly service. That is great, but we're not allowed to attach insurance; the service is attached to corporate so we're not even allowed to pay out of our own pocket for insurance. This is to say... I do NOT want to be forced back on a BB or fork out big money for another iPhone because my kids or a waitress spilled water on it or something. My case will be all the insurance I have. Questions:

1) I've all but settled on the Lifeproof case mainly due to the the water-proof protection, as well as the thin profile. However, I see Lifeproof cases on ebay going for more than the $79 on lifeproof site itself. It seems an early model came bundled with the headphone adapter... I can understand that. But why would some of the cases not bundled with the adapter be going for $85 - $100, plus shipping in some cases? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

2) Are there any other well-reviewed water-resistant cases that are also thin? There are so many many cases out there it's hard to sort through them all. Does not have to be water-proof like the Lifeproof... I'm not going to be dropping it in water (hopefuly), just looking for some decent "spill-proof" protection. The ability to replace the screen cover would be a big plus, as getting a big scratch in it wouldn't mean I have to buy another $80 case.

Thanks for any info.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Order directly from Lifeproof.com or see if a local BestBuy has them in stock.
You won't be disappointed with lifeproof!
ImageUploadedByiCafe1329245633.226041.jpg

My mandatory LP photo. Lol

ColKurtz

Feb 14, 2012
Thanks. I picked up a lifeproof off of ebay. One minor scuff, but $65 with the headphone adapter seemed a decent deal.

Shot in the dark: Anyone know whether a screen protector would work on top of the Lifeproof's screen? I carry my phone in my pocket and, despite the best intentions, inevitably the screen protector gets scratched by my keys or whatever. Would be nice to keep it in shape with $5 protectors rather than buying a new lifeproof with its attached screen every year or so.

Rbakfan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2012
One of my favorites is the ballistic. It offers pretty decent protection with minimal bulk. Slides in and out of pockets easily. Also is easy to put on and take off. I also like the o/b defender especially the second generation ones. Griffin also makes some nice cases.

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
you need no extra screen protector LP is really a great case in many ways.
Funny you said about the waitress spilling a drink happened to my friend

Today I was carrying phone and it was raining and I had it tucked away and a big bucket of water came tumbling down (from pipe) I was so lucky not to wet my phone soo that was it I ordered from amazon (hope they r real) for 58$ shipped'

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Last week I was on a beach vacation and I was talking on my phone and I was near the area where everyone hoses the sand off of themselves. This little kid hoses me down with a water hose. If I wouldn't have had my lifeproof, my phone would be ruined.

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks. I picked up a lifeproof off of ebay. One minor scuff, but $65 with the headphone adapter seemed a decent deal.

Shot in the dark: Anyone know whether a screen protector would work on top of the Lifeproof's screen? I carry my phone in my pocket and, despite the best intentions, inevitably the screen protector gets scratched by my keys or whatever. Would be nice to keep it in shape with $5 protectors rather than buying a new lifeproof with its attached screen every year or so.
It's not making sense to me? You bought a case w a screen protector and now you want a screen protector for the screen protector!? How on earth are u going up see anything! LoL lmk how it goes!
I'm just putting the cover and that's it of Thr protector breaks I'll call lifeproof!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app