Lifeproof case

1. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

Don't do that just yet. I am going to test it with the defective case I have. If removing that little square fixes the problem, then I will post asap. Should know in about an hour from now.

2. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Contributor Bronze

Ive emailed them a few times about my orders and keep getting the run around because customer service isn't talking to each other about the updates and they leave generic emails to shut you up.
    I still like this case but im thinking of waiting to buy anything else from them until they're all on the same page, because i keep getting contradicting info on my purchases and problems.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

Ok, I have tested, and preliminary results are that removing the little square under the home button on the case screen are as follows:
    Typing the spacebar and bottom icons is easier and recognized with much less effort that with.
    HOWEVER, the home button itself seems to have become a little less responsive. I cannot tell if it's because the left-over glue is sticking and causing a delayed reaction, or if its because the screen naturally bubbles up at that area.
    Going to clean off the glue and test again.

ok, it's not the glue. It's just difficult to use the home button at all. Not worth removing the square.

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

After going over it for the past 15 minutes, I see no real way of compromise here. The indented home button on the screen cannot operate like the home button on the phone. That is why the square is there.
    Oh well. Rolling naked right now. I'll put the case back on later.

6. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Contributor Bronze

Disregard my other post, i just received a call from customer service @ LifeProof out of the blue and wasn't expecting it about my order(s). She sounded genuine and wanted to help me with my issues. I am now truly impressed with how they deal with customers issues.

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

Yes, I hate to say it, but I think the staff rotates to handle emails, and it's not exactly working like it should. But they do believe in their product and genuinely want to solve any issues that a customer might have.

8. Target

Target Evangelist Gold

Well... I've used the LifeProof case for a week or so now and while, there are many reviews out there, here is my two cents: Over all, I like the case. It has a great feel, its slimmer and works in my pocket better that my other silicon & otter box cases. Most days I have a plastics snap on case that used because it fit my pocket better. I have a better sense of security for everyday bumps and the dreaded drop, but think it's too thin to provide real protection of the front & back glass should it get pressure applied in a twisting or benting motion. Ya know... if I sit on it. I did the water test and the inside stayed dry. I have yet to get the guts up to put the phone under water. I do think that should it happen to get submerged, the phone would be fine. But how often do I really worry about it getting wet?

Now what I'm not thrilled about: the screen is high gloss and shows every little print and smudge. I really hate this. I had a removable, washable screen protector on it that was a matte finish and showed no finger prints. I never removed it in my OB. I am thinking of putting back on under the LP case. I realize it's not recommended, but can't see why it would hurt. Neither my old screen cover or the LifeProof changed the look of the retina display. So no worries there. I do use my MP3 hookup daily in the car and this adapter is a pain. Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled they sent one, but its cumbersome to use. I use the Apple headphones at the house that fit but keep an other set my gym bag that do not. So if I forget the adapter, I would have to remove my iPhone from the case. This is a downer as the gym is where I really need protection. I don't like that the iPod connector in my truck doesn't fit in the case and the solution is a $20 adapter. IMO that is something they should have included as well in the price. It was a bit spendy, but I bought it anyway. I'm going to agree with Hawk, that the fit could be tighter with the screen. The waterproofing over the speaker as well as the rubber block on the home button causes this, but as he said, you get used to it really quickly.

The last issue that I really really don't like, and it's the biggest, is the sound of speakerphone. While I think this case gives music and video better sound, and I'd even say enhanced sound quality; on speakerphone calls and facetime chats, this case makes the speakerphone useless. I think that the special back cover allows the sound to resinate and over power the mic as well as the noise canceling mic. This single issue may be the reason, I would not use this case every day. The people on the other end of a speakerphone call or a facetime call tell me that they loose every other word. On my end, I also lose every other word. I have adjusted the volume down until the sound clears, but then the volume is too low. This should be something that needs addressed and fixed by LifeProof. I'd even say they should send out replacements. If you have one of these cases and do not experience this, I'd love to know so I can investigate why mine act this way.

There you have it. A real-life review. I'm a traveling, and very active, marketing guy who has been relentless in searching for a great case for my iPhone. The journey will continue. This one gets three maybe another half, stars out of five from me. Special thanks to all who posted about this case. It was helpful in my decision to try this case. Now I'm just sharing the love...

Target

9. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist Gold

I agree with most of the review. But to play music I open my charge port. The music makes a sort of rattling sound when I play it without it open

10. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

Wanted to give a quick update to my tinkering with the home button of the case. I found the perfect compromise.
    I used 2 pieces of Scotch packing tape, cut about 1-2 mm smaller in diameter than the "home button" stacked on top each other. It's only a fraction of the thickness of the square, but it kept my screen responsive, as well as the home button. it's not 100% perfect, but I find it much better than before.
    Might add one more piece of tape to make it 3 layers, but it seems great right now, so I may not.

11. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

2 layers is perfect. 3 and it starts acting like before

12. IllusionEntity

Thanks for the tip hawk! I just got a new LP so when I buck up the courage to tinker I'll post a response!

13. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

Just a clarification. the tape I used was the clear Scotch packing tape. Kinda thick on it's own compared to regular dispenser tape found on an office desk.
    One other thing. DO NOT use anything with an edge to remove the plastic square. The inside is painted and scratches very easily. A fingernail is all that is needed, and I had to keep picking at it slowly. I did try with the edge of a pair of scissors and made a fine line scratch in the paint. The tape covered it up, so it's not noticeable from the other side.

14. Target

Target Evangelist Gold

I did attempt to open the charge port on a speakerphone call today and it may have helped my previous issue. More testing is needed.

Target.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

15. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot Gold

I'd love one of these for my 3gs, but unfortunately, lifeproof don't make them.

16. IllusionEntity

Thats because when the iPhone 5 is released the 3GS will be outdated and not worth making a high end case for a phone that is outdated

17. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

According to LifeProof's official response, they did get a number of orders for a 3G/3Gs version, but it was not enough to move forward with.
    I believe that the cost of development and production would have been higher than the sales. No offense to 3G/3Gs owners, but it's about time to upgrade.

18. IllusionEntity

+1

19. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot Gold

Maybe some people can't afford to upgrade.

20. Hawk

Hawk Genius Gold

I didn't say whether it was right or wrong, only that the demand wasn't high enough to warrant making them

21. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot Gold

No u didn't but what u did say was that maybe it's about time to upgrade.