LifeProof nuud case for iPad 2 & 3

Discussion in 'iPad Cases and Accessories' started by fury, Aug 14, 2012.

1. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

What's with that name? There's no accounting for taste...but I'm sure the case will be fantastic.

Preorder links have started going out.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/ipad-2

Have you got yours in yet?

2. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I got the Pre-order email. I think the name is a marketing name because of the screen feature. Honestly, I haven't got to the point where I fully understand it. Is there or is there not a screen cover? The way it reads there isn't.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

According to this article at TechCrunch:

So yes, it's literally naked from the screen down. Or up. Or whatever. Which means it won't protect you if you drop it on a pointy rock. Not that the LifeProof case for the iPhone does. But still. For $150, I'd kind of expected some screen protection. Even if just for scratches and stuff.

And of course, that means, how do you perform the initial water test with it like you do with the LifeProof? It has no seal without having an iPad in there.

4. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Wonder if this one works with a skin like Zagg?

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I would think that'd interfere with the waterproof sealing.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

fury & Target: You must remove any screen protector from the case. The O rings need to sit directly to the glass to make a waterproof seal. Once the case is installed there would be no problem trimming a screen protector down a bit. Want all the info? Here ya go:
    http://www.lifeproof.com/support/products/ipad

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Aha. So there is a water test unit included with it.

Still...$150...eep. I had no problem with $70 for the iPhone case, but this is giving me pause. Not sure whether I should go for it now and just consider it a $120 case plus the $30 stand they're saying they'll include, or continue looking for an iPad case

8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I bit the bullet. Only, I am now kind of glad I waited to make my decision. LifeProof sent me a "here's a 5% off coupon, use it before your cart expires" email. So, that kinda helped. But I figured I'm going to have this iPad for at least a year or two longer, and making it mostly drop/waterproof is at least worth $142.50. The stand will give me a whole lot more utility than the smart cover's stand formation. Probably also save me from any further dents and smashes as a result of the iPad falling off of the smart cover in vertical stand mode. So yeah, I decided it was worth it for that price.

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I did get the 5% but am just not certain if I want the case now. I may get a mini and then the iPad2 is home only.
    If there is no mini or I may not get the mini I am looking forward to the next iPad hopefully in Spring!

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I'll be sure to do some type of review when mine arrives ;)
    Hoping it will be here Tuesday at the latest!

11. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

Got mine! And I must say the case Rawks! Even without a screen cover, I forgot how awesome the regular glass feels. Everything is still accessible like the phone case and adds little bulk, even my wife loves it she says its lighter than her previous case(trident kraken) And my wife is hard to please. You can also customize right on your ipad with skins to make it your own cause of the clear back, which is a huge plus!

Now for the negative...... The screen cover/ stand, I hate the fact that you can't attach it to the back and it feels kinda flimsy, it's also hard to take off. Hopefully they go back to R&D on the cover/stand piece and fix it to make it attach to the back similar to the OB or Seidio case. Once they fix that everything will be perfect, this case is a genius excellent piece of work! Can't say how much I really dig this case.

Here's a pic:
    62cb4a52-0cc3-263c.jpg

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Here is my quick video intro to the Nüüd iPad case from LifeProof:

A few photos later if you want.

13. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

RoofMonkey you crack me up .....READ the INSTRUCTIONS those are IMPORTANT LABLES
    Can you post the next video too? I want to see how it works PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE?

14. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Mine got backordered, probably due to being so late, so I'm gonna have to live vicariously through you for now. Be sure to take a shot of the iPad swimming! beerbang.gif

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Updated & complete video. Remember, I'm not a pro at reviews, so go easy on me! Hahaha
    imutter,@fury, chris

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Photos: ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606107.530855.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606141.265722.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606189.194472.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606222.679509.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606249.684274.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606289.189067.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606333.648152.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606362.551019.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606400.212129.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe1345606433.562604.jpg

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Huzzah! Half an hour after I posted this, I got the shipping email! Man, I am on a roll this week-my Twitter name back yesterday, my nuudie's on the way today...should I buy a lottery ticket tomorrow?

18. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

So if there is no front I understand the vacuum suction but how is it scratch proof ?
    I want if for the screen protection. I got my LP for my phone if am out about near water.

19. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Scratch proof was never one of the 'proofs' advertised by Lifeproof. They reference "approved" screen protectors in the info sheet & web page and will be selling them at some point, but there is no ETA on those :(
    I'm looking at making a template and trimming down a regular screen protector. All though I had forgotten just how smooth the bare glass does feel :D

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

One big 'oops' I noticed with the plastic screen cover is that it does not snap onto the back of the case. It is nice to snap on the front for travel protection of the naked glass and works well as a stand for viewing and typing, but if you don't want to use it for that, it just gets in the way. Maybe on an updated model they will make it so it snaps onto the back of the case similar to the OB Defender cases. So far that's my only real gripe about this case. Then again, I've only had it for on for less than 24 hrs. Lol