LifeProof or Otterbox Defender 2013/14?

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I've been an Otterbox user for YEARS! And, again, I just bought an iPhone 5s, and thus bought an Otterbox Defender.

But, I'm curious, people seem to be raving about the LifeProof case. Tell, me, is it really all that? Or, are people raving about it because it is 'thinner' than the Otterbox defender?
To be honest, I can't see myself ever using\taking my iPhone near the pool, or too close to water, but...

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

PS: I edited the thread title to add a year since we have some old threads from 2012 ;)

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I've been an Otterbox user for YEARS! And, again, I just bought an iPhone 5s, and thus bought an Otterbox Defender.

But, I'm curious, people seem to be raving about the LifeProof case. Tell, me, is it really all that? Or, are people raving about it because it is 'thinner' than the Otterbox defender?
To be honest, I can't see myself ever using\taking my iPhone near the pool, or too close to water, but...

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

PS: I edited the thread title to add a year since we have some old threads from 2012 ;)
I use the Otterbox Defender. It's a tad less expensive than the Lifeproof. I'm seldom around a lot of water, and I don't take my phone to the toilet. I like the feel of the Otterbox. The one I have for my 5 doesn't seem as bulky as the one I had on my 4. But I've never held a phone with a Lifeproof. So there's that.

Last edited:

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Trying a LifeProof case today...

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Honestly, only me.

I bought a LifeProof case today for my 5s. I take it home, perform all the test, then try to insert my iPhone.

For love or money I can't remove the headphone jack cover. Yes, I know righty tighty lefty loosy. But it is as if it is 'locked' in place.

Annoying; returning it tomorrow...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Honestly, only me.

I bought a LifeProof case today for my 5s. I take it home, perform all the test, then try to insert my iPhone.

For love or money I can't remove the headphone jack cover. Yes, I know righty tighty lefty loosy. But it is as if it is 'locked' in place.

Annoying; returning it tomorrow...
It's just in there tight and difficult to grip due to the small size. Run it under hot water for a few seconds or use a rubber jar opener to remove it. A rubber band will work if you don't have a jar opener.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I even tried tweezers! Trying hot water now...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I even tried tweezers! Trying hot water now...
Tweezers aren't good for gripping things like that. I wouldn't even use pliers on it since it could damage the plastic. Try a rubber band if the hot water doesn't work.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks, I'll try the rubber band tomorrow, or replace the case...

Tweezers aren't good for gripping things like that. I wouldn't even use pliers on it since it could damage the plastic. Try a rubber band if the hot water doesn't work.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Thanks, I'll try the rubber band tomorrow, or replace the case...
You should remove the headphone plug prior to inserting the phone. Might want to carefuly open the case, remove phone Then unscrew the plug. Reinstall phone and then insert headphone plug. That's what I've always done & heard was the best way to do it from LP.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
LOL - this is a brand new case out of the box, I've not even tried to put the phone in yet. I'm merely following the instructions of removing said plug etc. I think it is just faulty/inserted way too tight...

You should remove the headphone plug prior to inserting the phone. Might want to carefuly open the case, remove phone Then unscrew the plug. Reinstall phone and then insert headphone plug. That's what I've always done & heard was the best way to do it from LP.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Did you try it with a rubber band yet?

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
No, didn't have one here. Wasn't worth the hassle to buy one, etc. I just returned it. I'll stick with my Otterbox Defender for now. Thanks

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
When using the 5s lifeproof belt clip, is it possible to holster it "face in" instead of out? All the photos show it facing out and it looks pretty risky.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
When using the 5s lifeproof belt clip, is it possible to holster it "face in" instead of out? All the photos show it facing out and it looks pretty risky.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yes. It works face in as well.