Light leakage - Really a concern?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Hey,

So I just got my replacement iPhone today, since my other one had a nasty crack due to a defect. They gave me a refurbished one, I checked it out and it's all good. It works absolutely perfectly, if not better than my older one (speed-wise, and WiFi seems to be better), however when it got darker outside, I happened to notice some light leaking out from the left-side of the glass cover. I couldn't see this during the day.

Personally, it's not really a concern of mine visually, but could anything get inside of here and mess up the phone? The only real issues I seem to be having with the iPhone(s) is with physical defective appearance, or so I think. All the peripherals work fine.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
The only thing I worry about with the light leakage issue is dust and dirt getting inside the phone. also liquid will find its way inside easier. I have had one of my iPhones replaced due to this. I bought an 8gb that has this issue but i have to drive 2 hours to find an Apple store.

kjack05

Bronze
Oct 28, 2008
Texas
MIne also has the light leak issue and actually got dust in it, I talked to Apple care and they are gonna replace it, but ther app store is like 2 hours away so I was gona do the ASR, but I don't have 500 for them to put a hold on my account on right now, kinda sucks, but I would def get it swapped out

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
I have the same thing with my 3G. How bad does yalls Leak light? Mine is from top to bottom with 3 dark gaps in it on the left side only.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I would absolutely get a phone replaced that had light leakage. Over time, this could be a problem.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
MIne also has the light leak issue and actually got dust in it, I talked to Apple care and they are gonna replace it, but ther app store is like 2 hours away so I was gona do the ASR, but I don't have 500 for them to put a hold on my account on right now, kinda sucks, but I would def get it swapped out
Be careful if you send your phone in this way. I went through this process because of a defective iPhone. Apple claimed that the box they received from me was empty. Someone stole it either during shipping or at Apple receiving. They tried to charge me that $500. Major pain in my a^&.