Lightning cable

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by luislahud, Dec 5, 2014.

1. luislahud

luislahud Member
    Bronze

Hello, I need to buy an original lightning cable on Ebay. One of them says for iPhone 5 or 5s. My question is, "Can i charge my iPhone 6 with with a iPhone 5 lightning cable, are they comparable?
    Thanks in advance!

Sent using iCafe app

#1 luislahud, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  2. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

A lightning cable for the iPhone five and 5S is exactly the same as the six. I am not sure what you mean when you talk about heat shrink tubing, it certainly can be used to reinforce the cable by placing the cable inside tubing, and shrinking it tight. If you want to make sure you get an Apple approved cable, look for the words, "Made for iPhone ..." or MFi certified name and logo on the description.

3. luislahud

luislahud Member
    Bronze

Thank you I need an extra cable to charge my phone in my car that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've always been a bit confused by the MFi designation. Does this mean that the cable will pass audio as well?

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I have no idea. I seldom listen to music on my phone.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I use it in the car a lot and sometimes tuck it under my pillow and night and listen to TV audio or music while I fall asleep.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Was there a post or a portion of a post removed by someone? I don't see where the OP mentioned anything about heat shrink tubing.

I know that you did not ask about this, but I figured it couldn't hurt to tell you... If you haven't committed to the purchase of that iPhone 5 lightning cable and adapter you mentioned yet, you may want to look at some 2.1 amp AC chargers. These will charge your iPhone 6 quicker than an iPhone 5 cable can. The charging adapter that is included with an iPad is capable for delivering 2.1 amps (it's available for purchase separately), as are any of the ones discussed in this article. If none of those tickle your fancy, you can look at more adapters here.

#7 Rafagon, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

The lightning cable has nothing to do with the amperage of the charge, that is determined by the charging adapter that is plugged into the wall. The cables are interchangeable with any adapter.

And yes, the original post includes A mention of shrink wrap tubing that wasn't quite clear to me it doesn't seem to be there anymore

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you, I edited my post to be more clear about that =)

10. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I guess my point is that you're mentioning that it will charge faster than the iPhone 5 cable can. The iPhone 5 cable the iPhone 6 cable are identical, and neither has anything to do with how fast the device charges.

I get what you mean. The lightning cable needs to be connected to a higher amperage charger in order to get a quicker charge time.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It was mentioned at some point but was edited.

12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

The designation MFi has nothing to do with audio or Fidelity. It is an acronym for Made For iPhone.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I know what it stands for, but I'm still curious to know if any third-party lightning cables pass audio.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm curious about that as well. They all seem to say "charge and sync" and I didn't think they did, but then @acosmichippo said that he had one that does about a year ago. I'm pretty sure it was a Monoprice. I don't have any third party cables. I know that none of the cheap ones pass audio, at least. Apple just barely licensed the connector and specifications, so we should start seeing a lot of third party cables that integrate the Lightning port and pass audio in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I use a monoprice cable in my car with my head unit. does CarPlay and everything just fine. but my favorite lightning cables now are the Amazon basics cables. they're super robust and very inexpensive.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

worf.jpg

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What does it mean for third party charger cables to pass audio? I have and have had charger cables that cost only a dollar, and they work perfectly. I have been helping the person who gets them, to let him know which ones are good that don't break etc.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They don't work perfectly. I guarantee you that a $1 Lightning cable won't pass audio. I doubt it will last as long as a good cable, either. Passing audio means you can plug it into a USB post on a stereo and have music come through the speakers. This isn't importort for a lot of people. Most people just use their cables to sync and charge. If you use the cable to connect to a car stereo via USB, it has to be able to pass audio. Otherwise, you'll just get a "this accessory is not supported" message.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Oh I see. I don't think I have a way to test it. For my car I use a cable that goes into car port then iPhone and I can call people and listen to music through radio. As for not perfect, I have been using the same cable for a long time now. Finally I found one of his that doesn't break or show wear or tear or just stops working. I'm happy. However, there is one small issue. Every now and then you may plug it in to your computer and it'll cause your computer to shut down. Weird.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like you're using the auxiliary port (AUX) and an FM transmitter. Yeah, you don't need it to be able to pass audio for that.

The computer is set to reboot with serious errors. The cable might be overloading the port and crashing the OS. If it's a PC, it could be a problem with the USB drivers. I'm pretty sure you have a Mac, though. Problems with the Motherboard/Logicboard or power supply can cause this as well. This only happens with the cheap cable? Does it only happen in one of the ports? If so, don't use that cable with that port.