Lightning to Aux Out - Finally

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by jw-nobo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. jw-nobo

jw-nobo New Member

Since I got my iPhone 5 two years ago (and iPhone 6 last month), I've been looking for a car kit or adapter that will charge the iPhone AND provide audio out for an "Aux In" connection to my car stereo. In the past I used a Kensington "LiquidAux" with my iPhone 4 - that did this nicely.

After several failed attempts - ordering adapter cables that simply didn’t work or were described falsely, I finally found something that works. It's called the Lightning Sounds Kit and does for the iPhone 5/6 exactly what the LiquidAux did for the iPhone 1-4. A single Lightning connection to the iPhone supports both USB charging and audio out via a mini plug for an Aux In connection. The kit is a bit pricey (still cheaper than the LiquidAux was in its day), but it includes both car and home USB chargers and a mini-to-RCA adapter, if needed.

The sound is great - definitely better that the sound from the headphone port or via Bluetooth streaming (if your car has that).

I found it on eBay. Try searching for "iphone 6 lightning charge aux".

2. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I used the Griffin AutoPilot (discontinued, but you can get really cheap on Amazon) with a short 30 pin to lightning adapter. The main portion of the unit does not use a dedicated cable for AUX, so if the need calls for it, you can use a cassette adapter, or whatever you need to pass to that has a 3.5mm jack.

I recently bought a new 2011 pathfinder, and it did not have a cassette player or AUX in for the crappy stock stereo, so replaced the headunit with a Pioneer AHX4700BS, that supports direct usb connection, Siri eyes free, as well as maps and several other apps.
    But if my stereo had the AUX in, I would still be using the autopilot and a ProClipUSA.com mount.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Good choice on the Pioneer. Those adapters are probably disabled since nobody has a cassette deck anymore and most people go with Bluetooth or USB. I greatly prefer USB over AUX. It's just one cable (a Lightning cable that you already have), it charges the phone and plays music at the same time through that one cable, it sounds better than AUX and it gives you fulls controls and readings on the head unit.

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

My autopilot still works fine. I have it in my 2001 pathfinder still. But like I said, I didn't have the option for using it in the 2011 pathfinder, hence the radio upgrade. (The stock radio was crap, because I got an S series. Apparently S stands for stripped)

6. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

Awesome
    I wonder if my sorento has it

7. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

8. pietroune

pietroune New Member

Awesome, thank you!

9. jw-nobo

jw-nobo New Member

The best thing about the Lightning Sounds Kit mentioned above is that it incorporates the Apple digital-to-analog conversion. Great sound.

Search eBay for "iphone 6 lightning charge aux".