Like Christmas Eve

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
An example of why kids are awesome. Asked my daughter (who's 6) last night if she wanted to do a top secret, sneak out early mission today to get her mom some Mother's Day gifts. I figured she'd like the idea, as she's getting more into being involved in all sorts of stuff lately - but she was crazy mad happy about the idea!

We made our plans last night and said we'd get up early to catch shops when they open at 9:00 etc, and it was time for her to go to bed. Usually she is up and down a few times for about an hour after going to bed and reading books etc - after making our plan, she told me No to books and just wanted to sleep straight away so she'd be rested and ready for plan execution.

She then came and whispered and woke me up 3 times between 1:00am - 5:00am - to ask if it was time for the plan yet.

She's honestly more excited than at Christmas - because she gets to do something nice for her mom - love that!

And now we're off out :)

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Aw, that and some time with Daddy. That is very sweet - I hope you both enjoy your day and rest of the weekend. :laugh2:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Adorable...

You sure do sell those little things pretty well. Might have to look into one of my own...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Adorable...

You sure do sell those little things pretty well. Might have to look into one of my own...
LOL - yeah, these offspring things are much greater than I ever expected, and that's even given that I've always liked kids, and was an uncle before she came along etc.

She did great on the mission too. We got a painting (a kinda Mother's Day tradition for us) that she picked, a fake flowers thingie that she insisted on, and a fun piece of costume type jewelry. Then went to Starbucks for a capuccino and a huge blueberry muffin with chocolate milk :)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
LOL - yeah, these offspring things are much greater than I ever expected, and that's even given that I've always liked kids, and was an uncle before she came along etc.

She did great on the mission too. We got a painting (a kinda Mother's Day tradition for us) that she picked, a fake flowers thingie that she insisted on, and a fun piece of costume type jewelry. Then went to Starbucks for a capuccino and a huge blueberry muffin with chocolate milk :)
Patrick, enjoy it now, cause when they become teens....
I outta know.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Patrick, enjoy it now, cause when they become teens....
I outta know.
I hear ya, and I can imagine (I think) - another good reason to soak up this period of her life. She's amazing - she's not yet ashamed of her parents, likes being with us, loves coming to softball games (has done since 3 months old) and even watches NBA with me now (not bad for a real girly girl).

Can you whip up a quick 'Raising Adolescent Daughters - For Dummies' manual for me in time for when I have to start facing that era?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Ha, you should be fine, but your wife will need a lot of support when you get to that stage! ;) Mother/daughter relationships during teenage years = drama!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Ha, you should be fine, but your wife will need a lot of support when you get to that stage! ;) Mother/daughter relationships during teenage years = drama!
Teenage daughters are a dad's nightmare. Patrick will need the support more so than his wife! LOL

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Teenage daughters are a dad's nightmare. Patrick will need the support more so than his wife! LOL
I don't think that's the case in my house. My husband likes to be clueless about what our daughter is up to. Because, clearly, if he doesn't think about it, it can't be happening... right? ::rolling eyes:: This leaves ME to do all of the hard parenting, which has really sucked.

My advice, Patrick, would be to keep her close. Keep her involved in EVERYTHING and ALWAYS participate. Never miss a game or a concert or a teacher conference. Stay connected in her life, even as she gets a little older and other parents start backing off a bit. She'll appreciate the support (even when it seems like she doesn't) and it'll give you the foundation to work through the tough things together.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
My advice, Patrick, would be to keep her close. Keep her involved in EVERYTHING and ALWAYS participate. Never miss a game or a concert or a teacher conference. Stay connected in her life, even as she gets a little older and other parents start backing off a bit. She'll appreciate the support (even when it seems like she doesn't) and it'll give you the foundation to work through the tough things together.
That's great advice - and is definitely our plan :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Great teacher, great mother, and really cute. I'm tellin' ya, this Kristine chick is a winner! ;)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I don't think that's the case in my house. My husband likes to be clueless about what our daughter is up to. Because, clearly, if he doesn't think about it, it can't be happening... right? ::rolling eyes:: This leaves ME to do all of the hard parenting, which has really sucked.

That is some really good advice! And she's right. When kids get older they're more embarrassed to show their appreciation for things, but they appreciate what you do nevertheless.