Like to know ic you bought Mac warranty

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Oops, that title was suppose to say if you bought a mac warranty,sorry.
Just wondering how many of you bought the warranty and why or why not. What do you recommend?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I did not. You have a year to do it. I will not be doing it. You will get a ton of different opinions but I never buy extended warranties of any kind. About 80% of the cost of these things is pure profit. The cost of a warranty is based on the avg. cost of repair for any given item. You take this avg. cost plus the profit they want to make on each on sold and that is what you pay. You could take that money insure the Mac yourself. The odds of anything major going wrong with your Mac are slim, otherwise the cost of the warranty would be more like $500. Just my 2cents worth.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I did not. You have a year to do it. I will not be doing it. You will get a ton of different opinions but I never buy extended warranties of any kind. About 80% of the cost of these things is pure profit. The cost of a warranty is based on the avg. cost of repair for any given item. You take this avg. cost plus the profit they want to make on each on sold and that is what you pay. You could take that money insure the Mac yourself. The odds of anything major going wrong with your Mac are slim, otherwise the cost of the warranty would be more like $500. Just my 2cents worth.
I agree with you. I did not get it. Extended warranties are usually extra money for the companies.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
same here. I never buy extended warranties, except with my Xbox 360, only because my mom bought it for me for Christmas a year go and got the extended warranty bc she heard of the red ring of death problem.

I upgrade computers every year to year and a half so it would just be a waste to get the extended warranty for me.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Oops, that title was suppose to say if you bought a mac warranty,sorry.
Just wondering how many of you bought the warranty and why or why not. What do you recommend?
Personally, I do get the Applecare plan (3 years). Computers are the only things I get extended warranties for, because they're such an investment. My MacPro and display are worth the prize of a medium size car. Apple will do everything to solve a problem promptly, replace a defective product, and Tech support can be very helpful too, more so I would think if you're a fairly new Mac user.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Well I have desktop and I live in a heavily gated community so I don't need the warranty.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Well I have desktop and I live in a heavily gated community so I don't need the warranty.
That doesn't do much for defective hardware and software conflicts...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, as someone that deals with broken electronics every day, i buy extended warranties on just about everything. I did not, however, buy the AppleCare... i got a Service Plan from Best Buy that also covers accidental damage. 1 year for $99... extend-able if i want.

with laptops i think it really is a good idea. it is nearly impossible to find replacement parts, and even if you do (with the exception of only a few parts), an experienced electronics person will have a VERY difficult time replacing the component.

bad wireless card? outa luck. bad screen? outa luck. bad video? outa luck. power surge fry your machine? outa luck. blow your speakers? outa luck.

and what if you don't know how to replace something that IS fairly simple (like a hard drive or RAM)...? (rhetorical question).

Apple or not, electronics fail ALL the time. nature of the beast.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Like what? If worst comes to worst, I'd return it for a new one or reinstall leopard.
Worse comes to worst, it's been 1 year 1 day, and your motherboard needs replacing. The 30-inch display also is now completely black, and you just hope that's just the videocard that's fried, but then your friendly Mac expert tells you, no darn, the display is dead. It's just soo sad it's off warranty.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Not all beasts die young.

It's still fully functional and has ethernet!
That one is off warranty, but never required servicing.

Last edited by a moderator:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Like what? If worst comes to worst, I'd return it for a new one or reinstall leopard.
If you're past the standard warranty, I don't think you'll be returning anything for new.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
what the hell does that have to do with anything? I live in a large, gated community but that does not help anything if I have a computer problem!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
what the hell does that have to do with anything? I live in a large, gated community but that does not help anything if I have a computer problem!
He thinks having his computer stolen would be the only problem he would ever get. Now, that's showing unwavering faith in Apple products!

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
My question applies again, what kind of computer problem can you get that you can fix yourself?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
My question applies again, what kind of computer problem can you get that you can fix yourself?
totally agree with you that you can fix most issues, but the fact that you live in a big gated community has nothing to do with warranty issues. Also, I stated I never buy extended warranties, or AppleCare or whatever they want to call it. But if you are referring to theft by your gated community reference, warranties only cover manufacturer's defects. They do not cover theft, accidental damage, or misuse.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
mine covers accidental damage. :)

did you have to pay extra? the guy in the Apple store told me that if I dropped it or if it got crushed somehow that it was not covered. Of course, we know the guys that work at the Apple store are ALWAYS right :laugh2:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I got a Service Plan through Best Buy. $99 for the first year, and it's renewable if I want.

On portable devices I highly recommend it.