Line out on White Dock

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I guess I hadn't really noticed it before, but on the back of the white dock that came with the iPhone is a "line out". Does anyone know what that is for? Thanks?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Think of it as another headphone out... the difference being it shouldn't respond to the iPhone's volume setting (I don't have mine connected at the moment, so I can't test if it does or not, but a true line-level output should have no level adjustment on it)

You would likely use it as an easy, semi-permanent connection to a stereo system while you're docked.

One thing worth noting: there is no recessed jack on the line out, so normal headphones and cables work without an adapter...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No problemo.

And just out of interest, I tried the line-out and it indeed does not respond to the volume control on the iPhone. Good on you, Apple!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I used this to connect some computer speakers to my dock at work. I dock it and listen and the computer speakers control the volume.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I could be wrong, but you connect the $50 cable with a chip in it to your TV to view your pics, and video and movies.

rgarjr

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
I bought a universal cable, 30 in dock to line level rca audio outputs and when i hook t up to the iPhone, no audio comes out ofthe rcas. I tested my brothers 50 dollar cable, the one that has the video out as well and that one works, it mutes the internal iPhone speaker and sends the audio out.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes that cable has a chip in it... i wish that i can find a 3rd party one because 50 bucks is a lot to watch movies on a tv...