line up times?`

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Time is money - nearest Apple Store is in a mall (internal doors only) - wonder if security is going to open up at 8AM rather than 10AM (don't think so but.....).
I'm will turn up around 10AM, if queues to long I'll walk away and wait a week - it maybe a new phone but the additional features don't make it a must have it today item (beside living in a large city with 3 Apple stores and numerous AT&T stores I certain the queues will not be that long (baring all those students and school kids with too much money - remember it is a work day for anyone really earning money)
Just for the record, I'm a teacher, "really earn [my] money" and also won't be working on Friday (or for the rest of the summer for that matter). :)

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
You think people are going to wait to have their phone number ported over? How is that going to work? I for one will be having my number transferred when I buy the phone. Why do you think they tell you to bring your account and pin number from your previous carrier with you?
I didn't mean carrying over your own phone number to AT&T from another provider -- I'll be doing that, too. That's just going to be part of the activation process, and people who are carrying their numbers over from another provider aren't going to have phones that work immediately after the process. It's going to take an hour or so (so they say), and I'll be far, far away from the store by the time my number is successfuly carried over to my iPhone. But I digress, as this wasn't even the point I was making previously.

Someone had mentioned AT&T reps talking about having cables set up to port someone's address book (telephone numbers) from their old phone to their new iPhone 3G. That's what I was referring to. I don't want to be standing outside in the 90 degree heat while a customer and a sales rep. are tied up with that whole process for 15-20 minutes. Sync your address book through iTunes, or otherwise do it on your own time.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
Which may mean you'll be the 300th person in line. With the projected processing rate of 12-15 minutes per person (times the number of employees), what time will you get out of there? ;)
300th in line? Your kidding right? There wasn't even 300 people in line for iPhone last year. I'll probably be #15 or so

thedunn805

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
I agree, many AT&T reps just don't have the current information to pass on to the consumer and are making guesses. One rep told me she was 100 percent sure there would be a 3G demo in the stores the weekend before the launch...she was wrong.

i agree also. I went to AT&T and they said it was just a rumor that they were going to open at 8am

but i'll be getting there around 5am

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
I'll tell you what though, Teacher's deserve their break as much as the kids do.
I totally agree. Sorry off topic a bit but, teachers (good ones @ least) deserve to get paid more. Hey they're educating the future leaders, doctors, engineers;), etc

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I didn't mean carrying over your own phone number to AT&T from another provider -- I'll be doing that, too. That's just going to be part of the activation process, and people who are carrying their numbers over from another provider aren't going to have phones that work immediately after the process. It's going to take an hour or so (so they say), and I'll be far, far away from the store by the time my number is successfuly carried over to my iPhone. But I digress, as this wasn't even the point I was making previously.

Someone had mentioned AT&T reps talking about having cables set up to port someone's address book (telephone numbers) from their old phone to their new iPhone 3G. That's what I was referring to. I don't want to be standing outside in the 90 degree heat while a customer and a sales rep. are tied up with that whole process for 15-20 minutes. Sync your address book through iTunes, or otherwise do it on your own time.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I can't imagine them doing that kind of transfer during the activation process with all those people in line. Who knows though? I still expect them to take 15 mins per customer.

ScottNWDW

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I will probably get to the mall that the Apple store is in about 9:00am. Unless I decide to go to the AT&T store I normally do businesss at. last year n iDay I stopped at the store at 3pm to buy a laptop connect card (forgetting it was iDay and they were closing early) and there was only about 15 people in line. Although it will be busy, I don't think it will be the same frenzy as last year.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California

But they do that with every new phone purchase. "Would you like me to transfer the contacts to your new sim?" The only people who are going to be able to do that themselves are the ones with v1 iPhones... and I still bet they'll want it done in the store so that they'll be good to start calling/texting as soon as they walk out the door.