Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router

Gambino23

May 22, 2008
Is This A Good Router For The IPod Touch To Work And If So What Really Do You Have To Do Set It Up On The IPod Touch And Can You Hook It Up To A DSL Modem Please Help:confused:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Is This A Good Router For The IPod Touch To Work And If So What Really Do You Have To Do Set It Up On The IPod Touch And Can You Hook It Up To A DSL Modem Please Help:confused:
I've had as much success with Cisco products as I've had with Airport Extremes - not good. Last a couple of months then need replacement. Personnally, I've been using a Netgear RangeMax Next Wireless N Router. Very happy so far.

I have a DSL connection. Just connect the ethernet cable from the DSL modem to the WiFi gateway. You may need to access the internal settings of your router to change the SSID broadcast, add security, check for firmware updates, etc.

I've had a number of issues with my WiFi gateways in the past. With this Netgear router, I have my Vista PC attached via Ethernet and my iMac connected via Airport. This way I'm able to quickly diagnose WiFi issues I have on my iPhone.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
Yes that's a perfectly good router. Just follow the directions that come with the router for connecting to your modem. Make sure you set the router up with a password. Then just go to settings -> wifi on the touch and connect.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That'll work fine. It's pretty much the standardest wireless router in existence these days. Power supplies are flaky, though. I had two go on me. If you ever need an extra, I still have one around here.

May 25, 2008
I got a cheap ($40 or less I think it was) Belkin one from Walmart, I've had no problems with it and the setup was simple since I already have DSL, it was a matter of taking off the old modem and just putting the cables into the new one. I had it up and working in about 5 mins. As others have said, make sure you change the Admin name and password, it comes with info that shows you how although THAT took me a bit of time to figure out. Still you'd be surprised how many of your neighbors don't realize that they should do this and their connections are WIDE OPEN. Eeek! :eek:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Like psylichon has said above, Linksys routers (and this one in particular) are as standard and popular as they come, for home and even small businesss use. This model should be fine for you.

I have also used a couple of very good and reliable Netgear wireless routers, and would also rate them just as high as the Linksys ones ...