Linksys WRT54GS & iPhone WiFi issues

Jan 20, 2008
i have been using my Linksys WRT54GS since the day i bought my iPhone and connnected to wifi with no problems.. but one day i had to reset my iPhone and since then is where i have been having issues.. my iPhone will tell me that i am connected to the network with a full signal but when i try to go to a website it states the infamous message " Safari can not connect to the server" i have done every possible thing to fix it but nothing works.. my xbox360,ps3,and my Apple laptop connect to linksys fine but the dang i phone wont work.. any help would be great..

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I had the same problem with my linksys (same model as yours) so i called the tech number that came with the instructions, and the guy was very helpful, took me to their website, did some clicks here and there, said there was a new firmware update for the router that i needed, so i downloaded it and installed it, and he said he had to reset the DNS on his end to allow it to work with the iPhone, after that its been working great without a hitch. Hope this helps.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Try resettting your router's passphrase - means you'd have to re-do it on your laptop etc., but it's a quick yes / no on a fix - and I've seen this work quite a lot after an iPhone restore / update ...

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
OK, this is weird. We tried to update his firmware, and we both tried to download the file from Linksys.com. The file is downloaded as a .bin file, and the manual says to un-archive the file using WinZip. Well, on the PC, Winzip can't open the file, so I got it on my mac, and I get the exact same thing. I can't decompress this file. Any ideas?

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
The .bin file is the final file. What you need to do is go into the router console and then go to the firmware tab and tell it to update and point it to that bin file.

Dec 23, 2007
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
He finally got this working. What a touchy router this is! He was able to connect with an open network, but when it was password protected, he couldn't. He updated the firmware, and still could not. He had to do an actual physical reset on the router, set up a secure network using WPA encryption, and NOW it finally works for him. It was 2 days of struggling before it worked.

This is why I LOVE my Airport. Plug it in, set it up... Connect. No problems. 10 minutes tops.

rilicic

Nov 15, 2008
The .bin file is the final file. What you need to do is go into the router console and then go to the firmware tab and tell it to update and point it to that bin file.
My ZyXEL router does not accept the firmware with an .bin extension. It advises that an error ocured.

Any suggestion?