Liquor watermelon

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would use vodka or rum. My recommendation would be to poke holes in the watermelon a few hours early and turn it over to drain out as much juice as you can. The biggest problem I've ever had doing this is that it's too fresh with too much water in it, and the liquor simply doesn't drain into the melon.

Do two holes so air has a place to exit as the melon is filling.

Have fun with it! I'm pretty sure we'll have one of these camping this weekend as well...

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I would use vodka or rum. My recommendation would be to poke holes in the watermelon a few hours early and turn it over to drain out as much juice as you can. The biggest problem I've ever had doing this is that it's too fresh with too much water in it, and the liquor simply doesn't drain into the melon.

Do two holes so air has a place to exit as the melon is filling.

Have fun with it! I'm pretty sure we'll have one of these camping this weekend as well...
Thanks! That's really helpful. Draining the water sounds like a good idea, I didn't want to cut it up or take any of the fruit out like they suggested on other websites. I just found this which looks quite interesting as well. Especially since it is SO HOT here in cali

http://www.yumsugar.com/1783414

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
A friend of mine once made it using watermelon-flavored smirnoff. Don't know if the artificial flavoring would clash with the real thing, but I do know it was a hit.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Kelley, we use to do this in high school (lol, don't judge me people), if you don't drain it, it tends to get too mushy. Soaking it too long also makes it more mushy. There was not a Spring Break in Rosarito Beach that we wouldn't have one of these! Brings back lots of fun memories and some I'd rather forget ;)

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Lol!
So how long should I do this before the party? Just the night before? The morning of?

Btw Alex, I did a taste comparison between regular clear rum and some watermelon rum I already had, and the flavored rum was actually better. I didn't expect that either.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I would do it the night before, that way you do not have to worry about it the day of. I have never tried one with rum. I have tried it with watermelon pucker, everclear, and vodka. I have never made one myself though. I have made an ice luge though. Gotta love the sport of drinking!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
We usually did it overnight but this is from the AllRecipes website:
They say to use 1 1/2 cups of rum for a seedless watermelon
DIRECTIONS
Rinse the outer rind of the watermelon thoroughly, and pat dry. Set the watermelon in a position so it will not roll over. Press the tip of a funnel through the rind of the melon. If using a plastic funnel, you may need to cut a hole.
Situate the melon on a towel in the bottom of the refrigerator or on the counter. Pour rum into the funnel a little at a time, refilling as it seeps into the melon. I start the afternoon before, since we usually leave to go to events in the morning. Allow the melon to marinate at least a few hours, before removing the funnel. Slice just before serving.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
How did the watermelon turn out Kelley? I personally hate watermelon but I know that people love doing the alcohol deal with it.