List of AirPrint compatible Wi-Fi routers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPutz, Aug 26, 2014.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've been looking around our forum here and on the internet for a list of WiFi routers that support AirPrint. There are plenty of lists of printers that support AirPrint but I cannot find any definitive source that lists WiFi routers that support AirPrint. Does anyone have an idea where such a list may be found?

#1 iPutz, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

A simple web search for "AirPrint printers" should yield many results.
    HTH

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The list of AirPrint compatible printers is easy to find, I'm looking for a list of WiFi routers that are AirPrint compatible.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't believe it should be reliant on any one router. As with anything Apple, you are going to have a relatively problem-free experience if you opt for Apple's Extreme router. I've had one in the past and it was pretty solid. I kind of regret moving to an ASUS RT-66U. It's received rave reviews, but it can be a bit buggy. I appreciate the stability of the Airport Extreme.

I wouldn't worry so much about routers, as much as the printer. Ink cost, reliability and software are all considerations. If you are printing primarily from an iOS device, software is less of an issue.

5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Chris for the info. I didn't put the whole story in the first post. I had AirPrint working with my current printer, an HP Photosmart Premium C-310 series, for a year or more before I changed routers a few months ago following the demise of the old router. I picked up a used D-Link DIR-655, from a friend, to replace the the dead Linksys router and found out later that AirPrint no longer worked. I have tried a number of things I found on the internet to get the D-Link to work with AirPrint but nothing has worked. From what I gather, WiFi router AirPrint incompatibility is not unusual. The old router was a Linksys WRT310N that, while inexpensive, worked well for two or three years and it supported AirPrint from the first time I tried it. I thought about one of the Apple units until I saw the price tag and about choked. I should have known, based on the price of iPhones, that it would be expensive. My printing requirements are primarily from my computers and while AirPrint compatibility would be a convenience it is not a necessity. Thanks again for the speedy reply and for all that you do here with EIC.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Tried it but no joy, Thanks anyway for the effort.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I just tried RoofMonkey's solution again, thinking I may have missed a step or otherwise didn't follow the instructions properly and still had no success. I guess it is time to go shopping for a new WiFi router that won't cost an arm and a leg. I know the Apple unit will work without problem but for me cost is a consideration especially considering I am probably going with a new iPhone in a few weeks. I'll post what I come up with for a solution. Thanks again for all who tried to help.

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You check your current routers firmware? May be an update available that will fix the issue?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wouldn't buy a new router for that. You can use an app on your computer to enable AirPrint. I've been using AirPrint Activator for Mac for the past few years since my printer isn't supported by Apple. Once installed, you don't have to do anything on the printer; it just needs to be on. There are many of these programs available for Windows as well.

11. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Europa, I have looked into software for a PC that will enable the use of AirPrint and have tried several but they are cumbersome by comparison to using AirPrint with a router that natively supports it. I will eventually find either a not too expensive router which natively supports AirPrint or a solution for the current router.
    Thanks, RoofMonkey, I tried the firmware update route but mine was already up to date. I also called D-Link and they were of no help either, unless of course, I wanted to pay for the support call. NOT!!
    For the moment, not being able to use AirPrint is only a minor annoyance so it is not a big deal but thanks again, to everyone for all your efforts, they really are appreciated.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

UPDATE: I managed to find a Linksys WRT310N wireless N router that supports AirPrint without any problem. I plugged it in, set it up and it worked, no problem. It doesn't have quite the range of my old D-Link DIR-655 but it reaches throughout my house and will suffice for my needs for now. Again, thank you to all those who tried to help me remedy this issue

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

UPDATE #2: The Linksys WRT310N that I had been using began occasionally losing its internet connection requiring unplugging the power cord and waiting 10 seconds or so before plugging it back in to get everything working again. This has been happening with increasing frequency over the last two weeks. Reliability being more important to me than AirPrint capability, I removed the Linksys unit and re-installed the old D-link DIR-655 I had been using before knowing that it had been totally reliable in the past. For kicks I tried AirPrinting something and it worked. I hadn't changed any settings on the router since removing it several month ago, I just plugged it in and everything works and has been working flawlessly for about a week now. The only changes are updates to the newest versions of iOS as they came out, and I replaced my iPhone 5 with a 6 and handed down my 5 to my much better half. The 5 is also now working with AirPrint on the DIR-655 so I am scratching my head wondering why it works now and not before. Changes in iOS8 maybe??? Any ideas? I will definitely be backing up the router's configuration file to a CD just in case.