List of Build flaws / defects in the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
List of Build flaws in the iPhone

Hello,

I kept reading about people detecting and suspecting that their iPhone is not built right (casing, screen...) or that it might be defective. After looking at many iPhones and exchanging too many for those reasons I came up with the following list of flaws that are very common in a lot of iPhones. This means, in my opinion, that it is not a defect, it is just a lack of good build quality control from Apple. If you have one of the build flaws in your iPhone you might exchange it but chances are that you will most likely get the same problems or even worse ones in your new phone. Here is the list:

- LCD screen stuck (shiny) pixels. This is in almost every iPhone out there. Some of the stuck pixels are very bad and can be seen all the times especially if it is in the middle of the screen but most of them can only bee seen over a black background with the brightness all the way up and in a dark room. Believe me almost every iPhone has at least one stuck pixel. I suggest if you can live with it then don't exchange your phone because you might get one that is worse.

- Light shining from the sides of the front glass on top of the screen. This problem is in a lot of iPhones. The front glass can be shifted a little to the left or right causing light from underneath to escape.

- Home button can be loud when you press it or can be soft. it is 50/50 in terms of how many units I believe.

- The back casing can be misaligned a little. You will notice it at the bottom end where it touches the plastic antenna cover.

- The antenna black plastic cover can be a little loose causing some squeeking sound when you press on the sides.

This is the list and I am sure that these flaws are in a lot of iPhones and it is very difficult to get one that is perfect.

-Bohs

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
- LCD screen stuck (shiny) pixels. This is in almost every iPhone out there. Some of the stuck pixels are very bad and can be seen all the times especially if it is in the middle of the screen but most of them can only bee seen over a black background with the brightness all the way up and in a dark room. Believe me almost every iPhone has at least one stuck pixel. I suggest if you can live with it then don't exchange your phone because you might get one that is worse. (wrong, have seen none on any iPhone i've seen. I have looked at mine in the dark, brightness up/down, close up, angled, whole 9 yards never seen any of this)

- Light shining from the sides of the front glass on top of the screen. This problem is in a lot of iPhones. The front glass can be shifted a little to the left or right causing light from underneath to escape. (not on mine)

- Home button can be loud when you press it or can be soft. it is 50/50 in terms of how many units I believe. (what? my homebutton sounds the same every time I hit it)

- The back casing can be misaligned a little. You will notice it at the bottom end where it touches the plastic antenna cover. (mine is fine)

- The antenna black plastic cover can be a little loose causing some squeeking sound when you press on the sides. (mine is fine)

This is the list and I am sure that these flaws are in a lot of iPhones and it is very difficult to get one that is perfect.

-Bohs

I am pretty sure you have not seen more than 3 or 4 iPhones if that. While pros and cons of the iPhones are welcomed on EI, I cannot stand posts made in assumptions bashing the iPhone. This is called trolling. This post states false information and assumptive remarks. Not all iPhones have these problems, not even most. If yours does, return it. " List of Build flaws / defects in the iPhone" makes it sound like all iPhones. A more appropriate title would be "List of build flaws in my iPhone" or "List of defects in iPhone's ive seen."

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
- LCD screen stuck (shiny) pixels. This is in almost every iPhone out there. Some of the stuck pixels are very bad and can be seen all the times especially if it is in the middle of the screen but most of them can only bee seen over a black background with the brightness all the way up and in a dark room. Believe me almost every iPhone has at least one stuck pixel. I suggest if you can live with it then don't exchange your phone because you might get one that is worse. (wrong, have seen none on any iPhone i've seen. I have looked at mine in the dark, brightness up/down, close up, angled, whole 9 yards never seen any of this)

- Light shining from the sides of the front glass on top of the screen. This problem is in a lot of iPhones. The front glass can be shifted a little to the left or right causing light from underneath to escape. (not on mine)

- Home button can be loud when you press it or can be soft. it is 50/50 in terms of how many units I believe. (what? my homebutton sounds the same every time I hit it)

- The back casing can be misaligned a little. You will notice it at the bottom end where it touches the plastic antenna cover. (mine is fine)

- The antenna black plastic cover can be a little loose causing some squeeking sound when you press on the sides. (mine is fine)

-Bohs

I am pretty sure you have not seen more than 3 or 4 iPhones if that. While pros and cons of the iPhones are welcomed on EI, I cannot stand posts made in assumptions bashing the iPhone. This is called trolling. This post states false information and assumptive remarks. Not all iPhones have these problems, not even most. If yours does, return it. " List of Build flaws / defects in the iPhone" makes it sound like all iPhones. A more appropriate title would be "List of build flaws in my iPhone" or "List of defects in iPhone's ive seen."

I love my iPhone, waited 9 hours for it, and I have personally had a "handfull" of iPhones so take this into consideration...

The OP has some legitimate points. The two that I do not agree with are the dead pixel claim and the light bleeding.

First, light bleeding is common in almost every backlit gadget
Second, it is a drastic overstatement to say that "almost every iPhone" has a dead pixel. Completely untrue. In my experience it is more along the lines of 1 and 6.

The other claims are legitimate. I don't think this person had the intention of being a troll, just pointing out the publicized flaws in one list. Whether or not he actually has witnesed any of them is another question...

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
You got me wrong!

Hey guys,

You definiteley got me wrong. I love my iPhone. If not I would have returned it for full refund. I just wanted to list the build issues with the iPhone. I've seen those issues in more than 15 iPhones. Every gadget has some built issues if you look carefuly. You can't ignore that if you read this forum and other forums on the iPhone and people reporting these issues.

You just have to forget about those build issues (mostly minor) and enjoy the phone not thinking it is defective. That was the point of my thread.

I think the iPhone is great/perfect for what it does but is lacking some of the major features which other smarphones have. I believe that Apple wants a great user experience and I think we do get it. Those lacking features will most likely be included in software updates. It is just that Apple wants to make sure it is user friendly and well tested. People complain that other smarphones do what the iPhone does! This is not true because if you tried browsing the web or using Google Maps on other smartphones you'll see how bad and unpleasant it is. What used to take me 10 minutes to look at something on the web or google map with other smarphones now takes me 2 minutes on the iPhone. This by itself is enough reason for me to love the iPhone.

I am not trolling the iPhone, just pointing out some of the building flaws that can be controlled better.
Regards,

-Bohs

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England

-Bohs

How is that trolling? He is bringing forward some perfectly acceptable points. Give him a break.... if anyone here points out the slightest negative they get flamed regardless. I believe that the iPhone has wayyy more plus points than bad ones and i cant wait to get my hands on one, but you have to realise that some of these flaws do occur and there is no need to bash him down because of them. Oh and i think he means the 50/50 as in a unit ratio and not as in 50/50 of when you push the button on your specific unit. It is known that on occasion Apple seem to rush their product releases to the consumer with out fully ironing out all production flaws etc so some defective units are bound to appear here and there. Just my $0.02:)

Last edited by a moderator: