List of things that Apple missed BIG TIME! MAJOR disappointment

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I was looking forward to this as everyone else but am incredibly disappointed with the outcome for the following reasons:

- No voice dialing yet STILL -> really important for driving among other things. Most free phones have had it for years
- No MMS -> Was never a big deal for me on iPhone v1 until people tried sending me picture messages and then I got pissed.
- No Cut/Copy/Paste -> There's been plenty of times when this has caused me to pull my hair out
- No background processes -> They like to make fun of the way WinMo does this but it's the same model used in OSX, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc. It is the most flexible and powerful way of doing stuff...apple's method is going to be a pain and limit what you can do with apps
- Email client still sucks -> From screenshots they added multiple delete/move. WHAT ABOUT SEARCH?!?! How are we supposed to find old emails if I can't even search the email client?!
- No Flash support in Safari -> Nokia has had this now in all their N series phones with a Webkit browser (same base as Safari) and it works great! No excuse for Apple here.
- Same 2MP camera - seriously megapixels don't always matter but it looks like the same camera...NO FLASH. NO AUTOFOCUS. NO VIDEO RECORDING. COME ON!
- GPS has live tracking but no turn-by-turn directions -> What use is the GPS if it shows you as a flashing dot on a map. You'll spend the entire time watching it and trying to figure out where to go and get into an accident. Cheap phones have turn-by-turn directions. This sadly doesn't.
- No chat client announced -> Will probably come out later in the year but based on Apple's notification model it will royally suck and drain battery since your phone has to maintain a constant connection to Apple's servers
- Plastic back that will both scratch/dent much easier than iPhone v1 and it also will smudge a lot too.
- More expensive data plans. Any other phone on AT&T that's 3G you can use without paying extra for data plans. Engadget is reporting iPhone 3G data will be $30/mo. WTF?

This is just off the top of my head after the announcement. I'm sure there are many others. If they even addressed a few of these, it'd be a no brainer.

Also I laughed out loud when they said iTunes would be used in Corporations for app deployment. Hysterical.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Google maps has already got turn by turn directions. The GPS Assist just gives a live locator to select from.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Google maps has already got turn by turn directions. The GPS Assist just gives a live locator to select from.
I wasn't specific...sorry. I meant VOICE GUIDED...turn by turn directions like every basic GPS out there. Kind of pointless and dangerous to stare at your iPhone while you're driving. But that's just me.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
The one thing im mainly disappointed about is the plastic back, although I think knowing Apple theyll do something to make it strong and durable. Steve also said it feels reallllly nice too...I mean he would, but still. So maybe it wont be all that bad having a plastic back.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm sorry, I just really don't understand why people must be such pessimists and can't just enjoy what we get. If we get it all now, there won't be anything for the future.

- John

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I'm sorry, I just really don't understand why people must be such pessimists and can't just enjoy what we get. If we get it all now, there won't be anything for the future.

- John
LOL! Good one...that would somehow make sense if the things I pointed out are not commonly available or have been commonly available for a LONG time now on other handsets that the iPhone competes with. The fact remains it's missing some very basic functionality (MMS, voice dialing, copy/paste) that is embarrassing.

No one is stopping you or anyone buying it, I'm just pointing out to people that there are a lot of gaps still remaining. I'm not willing to spend $300-$400 every year to Apple for incremental updates. That's just me.

azwilly

Jun 11, 2007
Mobilehavoc...Agree 100%. They are just catching up with these 'new' features. And th epoint about 3G on other handsets is on target too. Don't know about others but ATT 3G isn't built out in my area so to pay an xtra 10 bucks for spotty service don't hack it. It's like going out with a babe(iPhone) and always having to take her ugly sister(ATT) with you.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Apple's never really given any deep detail about the v2 software though. They've hit on enterprise, and 3rd apps, and big features but for all we know there could be a dozen other new features/fixes that cover some of the above. Hard to tell what the true feature list on v2 is until its out, just as they've added various features un-announced in other updates.

Torx

Oct 15, 2007
i agree with everything you pointed out.
Apple dropped the ball this time. They had a chance to bring features to a popular american phone that could compete with sophisticated overseas phones and they didn't.

they had a chance to make video calling popular and mainstream.. but they didn't.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I have to agree with you, you hit every nail on the head. I also said similar thoughts I expressed on another thread

RAWRSTi

Jul 10, 2007
i agree

if anything, this seems more like a iPhone v1.5 than anything

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
LOL! Good one...that would somehow make sense if the things I pointed out are not commonly available or have been commonly available for a LONG time now on other handsets that the iPhone competes with. The fact remains it's missing some very basic functionality (MMS, voice dialing, copy/paste) that is embarrassing.

No one is stopping you or anyone buying it, I'm just pointing out to people that there are a lot of gaps still remaining. I'm not willing to spend $300-$400 every year to Apple for incremental updates. That's just me.

MAN YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! ...the 3G seems practically the same...no MAJOR changes...that's my whole point...i might as well keep the one i got and just enjoy the 2.0 software update...

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
The one thing im mainly disappointed about is the plastic back, although I think knowing Apple theyll do something to make it strong and durable. Steve also said it feels reallllly nice too...I mean he would, but still. So maybe it wont be all that bad having a plastic back.
I was looking on the web site and not only is it plastic but is "U" shaped, so unlike the current phone that sits flat, that one appears that it will rock (literally) when it is laying down.

I am still way on the fence on this one. Really, the GPS and 3G are all nice and stuff, but the software is what is still irking me. I really want voice dial and I really want a better way to access mms picts that are sent to me. I find it odd that the "most advanced phone in the world" forces me to right information down with a quill and inkwell to actually retrieve a picture, that I cannot then save...... Even a clickable link in the text message would be a light year step in the right direction!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
MAN YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! ...the 3G seems practically the same...no MAJOR changes...that's my whole point...i might as well keep the one i got and just enjoy the 2.0 software update...
I agree. The 1st gen iPhone will still be a great device especially if you are on wifi most of the time. IF the price weren't dropping so much, I wouldn't upgrade at all. And to be honest, I think Apple knows most people wouldn't be upgrading at all if the price had stayed the same.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I have most things you mentioned via jailbreak....but staying pat on the camera makes no sense to me...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
A few international websites are saying the new iPhone will not live up to its name. It may have proven popular in the US, but iPhone v1 nose dived everywhere else and they're saying the new iPhone will follow suit.

Considering what functions mobile phones have outside of the US, I really don't think iPhone v2 is going to be that big. It will start off big, as the new countries will want to get it, but once the novelty factor wears off, it will fit into it's nook of smart phones.

When I spoke to my friends in the UK today, they were telling me people were not really that bothered about the new iPhone. They've already resigned it to being an over priced Apple product with very limited functionality. Even the most expensive of phones are free in the UK (with a 18 month contract), so why pay for a phone with very limited functionality and still be tied into a 18 month contract?

I still cannot see it over taking Nokia or Blackberry. Well not the current V2 anyway. Apple still have a long way to go.

This of course is just my opinion.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
well guys I don't think I will be upgrading one of the main things is no upgrade of memory which I feel will come before christmas leaving me feel like I have moved too quick again. PLASTIC, unless it looks amazing in the flesh i cant get excited about that. Going by ipod history the iPhone three will certainly revert back to a metalic finish again I can not believe no copy and paste! Really come on. No forwarding text messages.

Not being completely negative...,..

I like the look of 2.0 and hopefully some programmes there might offer alternative SMS pacakages for example to allow things that Apple couldnt be bothered with.

I also really like the look of mobile me. I will be signing up for this asap push email for the masses. I have been tinkering with .mac but this blows it out of the water.

The great things here for me although disappointed with the hardware the software is a free upgrade and that has to be cool.

Overall I'm split 50/50 and the good news is that the 50% I like is free. Also at least those of us that stay with version one for a while wont feel to inferior.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'm surprised that Apple didn't introduce larger storage either? What with all the new apps that will be available soon. It won't be long before 8GB will be filled up and you will have to start removing songs for more space.

If anything, they could have introduced say a MicroSD slot or something?

well guys I don't think I will be upgrading one of the main things is no upgrade of memory which I feel will come before christmas leaving me feel like I have moved too quick again. PLASTIC, unless it looks amazing in the flesh i cant get excited about that. Going by ipod history the iPhone three will certainly revert back to a metalic finish again I can not believe no copy and paste! Really come on. No forwarding text messages.

Not being completely negative...,..

I like the look of 2.0 and hopefully some programmes there might offer alternative SMS pacakages for example to allow things that Apple couldnt be bothered with.

I also really like the look of mobile me. I will be signing up for this asap push email for the masses. I have been tinkering with .mac but this blows it out of the water.

The great things here for me although disappointed with the hardware the software is a free upgrade and that has to be cool.

Overall I'm split 50/50 and the good news is that the 50% I like is free. Also at least those of us that stay with version one for a while wont feel to inferior.