Listen

xsbx

Bronze
Jan 5, 2008
I can guarantee that 99% of the music I listen to wont be able to be identified. This kinda thing is only good for the mainstream stuff.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I can guarantee that 99% of the music I listen to wont be able to be identified. This kinda thing is only good for the mainstream stuff.
Still cool. Worked for me the first time on some obscure maxwell song...

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Worked for me with about 7 out 10 songs I randomly played on the radio. Kind of cool. I guess if there is a song playing somewhere and you want to know the name of it you can get it through your iPhone. Kind of like that phone comercial Verizon had a couple of months ago on one of their phones that has this music recognition. Not much use for me personally but kind of cool to mess around with.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Oh yeah? How about "Cronus," part of Bill Chase's "Ennea?" That's not exactly mainstream. This app has identified practically every odd tune I've thrown at it, and I've gone out of my way to trip it up. :)

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
How long does it take for recognition. Every time I have tried, it gets stuck on Contacting info server.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Hmm....How loud is the music when it is being recorded? Also, has anyone else run into this problem of getting stuck on the contacting info server screen. If so, any fixes, or suggestions how to?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hmm....How loud is the music when it is being recorded? Also, has anyone else run into this problem of getting stuck on the contacting info server screen. If so, any fixes, or suggestions how to?
Yes, seems to happen to me quite a bit. I "think" it helps if you don't hold the iPhone too close to a speaker. Hard to tell without any input from the app, but after holding the iPhone further away I was able to get it to work (well, at least 50% of the time).

I give it no more then 10-15 seconds and if it's still at Connecting I start it again, hopefully while the song is still playing.

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yes, seems to happen to me quite a bit. I "think" it helps if you don't hold the iPhone too close to a speaker. Hard to tell without any input from the app, but after holding the iPhone further away I was able to get it to work (well, at least 50% of the time).

I give it no more then 10-15 seconds and if it's still at Connecting I start it again, hopefully while the song is still playing.

--
Mike
I've also seen slightly better luck with phone farther from speakers. And Erica' site confirms that if it doesn't contact the ID server in 30 seconds, just restart the app (there are no real status message changes until it succeeds) - I've had some songs hit after several restarts of the app ...

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
There is a program similar to this on the blackjack, and AT&T charges $6 a month for it, or 99 cents every time you use it.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
It works for me every single time when on wi-fi, but never works over edge.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Good to know. Maybe there was too much background noise in the car.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
She's released two new betas of it today - one just for internationalization / characters support - but they haven't made it to Installer yet last I looked ...

iCreep

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
I have this app as well. Glad to find out it works or at least most of the time haha.

iCreep.

Aug 8, 2007
Installer has an update for this Listen app. There is now a button to start recording. Overall it looks more polished. I think it still needs an option to record another song, rather than having to exit and come back.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Installer has an update for this Listen app. There is now a button to start recording. Overall it looks more polished. I think it still needs an option to record another song, rather than having to exit and come back.
It gives you the option to sample another if it succeeds in identifying one, just forces you to exit and restart if it fails to find song. Also has slight status bar change to show you when it's done sampling and trying to contact the server ...

Aug 8, 2007
Another update released: Beta06. Now it will give you the option to sample another song even if it fails the first time.