Little problem with my new iPhone 4 (Head phone issue)

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Zanthe, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well I'm not sure if it's the iPhone 4 or what but here is the situation:

Had a 3G for 1-1/2 years and used my V-Moda headphones in the car. NEVER a problem at all.

So now I plug them into my new phone and sometimes get a little crackling noice until I twist the plug around a little. No biggie. But then today I got a call and pressed the little button on the cord as usual and the person on the other end of the phone couldn't hear me but I could hear him. Called that person back and had him call me again --- same problem. Then I unplugged the headset and plugged it back in and tried again and it worked fine. Called my wife and had her call me and it worked fine. A damn intermittent issue.

So what do you think? Problem with the phone's jack? I sure hope not because my phoine works great in all other respects 'so far'...

What would you do?

2. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

Try using a different set of headphones to eliminate the possibility of the headphones being the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Excellent idea! I'll try it.

4. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

At least you will be able to narrow down what the problem might be... Sorry about the spelling in my post... I already corrected it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'll defend to my death your right to misspell words here.

At least until I consider you a forum veteran...:sneaky:

6. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

Lol!

Don't blame me though, my iPhone doesn't always correct my spelling!

Veteran hey.... Awww shucks... Even my wife doesn't consider me a veteran! I think I'm gonna get tears on my iPhone!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Crap. Waaaaah. Back to my problem.

OK here is the deal. When my V-Moda headphones are plugged in works great sometimes and other times I get this crackling noise which the people on the other end of the phone can hear and comment "you sound like crap". I bought some new $80 Apple head phones today to see if they did the same thing and to be honest I couldn't talk on them long enough to find out. People complained that I sounded like hell -- changed to my V-Moda's and they said I sound great.

So, I'm driving with the phone laying flat in the counsel between the seats and I go over a bump...crackle, crackle, crackle. Pickup the phone and it stops. Seems to be caused by vibration. Which tells me there must be a lose connection in the phone jack. I have had these head phones for 18 months ($99) and with my 3G NEVER had this happen-- not ever. Always was told the voice quality was near perfect. I noticed this problem the first day I had my iPhone 4 (1 week today).

So the "Genius" at the Apple store danced and said it was just a differnt phone; some BS about the antenna -- he had no idea what to say. It's just flat out an intermittent problem that seems to be brought on by vibration in the car.

I went to the AT&T store and he suggested I ask for a supervisor at Apple and ask for the phone to be replaced.

Would you have it replaced? It's almost certainly something with the phone jack as far as I can tell but not sure how to prove the point. It's not going to do it plugged in walking around the Apple store like the Genius did. Worked perfectly in that situation.

Again, the only time it does it is in the car and seems to be vibration activated. As soon as I unplug it everything is fine.

Any suggestions/advice? What would YOU do?

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Don't be mad. I hope this is not a stupid question, but, did you try the stock earphones that came with the iPhone 4? I didn't read anything about that. i know you purchased new Apple earphones but i didn't read anything about the stock ones.

I think if you try with the stock, if you haven't already, then possibly that way you can rule out if the ear jack is defective or not.

I'm just thinking, if i had a near perfect, nothing else goes wrong with it, iPhone that i was happy with, i would not want to return it. I would try everything I could before turning it in to then get something that has new problems with it that my old one did not have.

I have some Lentex Sonic 3 earphones that I absolutely love. I used on my iPhone 3GS and they were awesome, but when i first started using them with the iPhone 4 they would echo like CRAZY! It was exhausting. The other party could not hear it, but I could and it was like I was in stereo. I powered through and I now notice that, within the last two weeks, the echo has disappeared.

Maybe there is a breaking in period for the new phone or something. My echo worked its way back to normal, maybe yours will too. I know its hard to get a good pair of earphones you love and can use for a long time.

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I did try the stock ear phones briefly. Can't really say whether the problem existed because it is so intermittent. Also with the stock ear phones as with the crappy ones I bought today for $80 they sounded awful. Couldn't use them for more then a frew minutes.

I do think you're right. I really don't want to get a new phone as sometimes the fix is worse then the problem. Think I'll roll with it for a couple more weeks and see if I can figure out how to avoid the problem. On the wsay home form the AT&T store I put the jack in and turned it a different way and didn't notice the problem during the ride home -- was calling people just to talk and had nothing to say. LOL.

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

OMG -- my bad. Check this out:

Was on my way to the Apple Stpore to retun the new headset I bought yeswterday. As I mentioned I was less than enthused with the quality of the sound (still not very enthused)...so I call a buddy on the phone using my old headphones and this crackling stuff starts again. So I pull over and switch to the new headset to give it a good workout on the way to the Apple Store. Crackling completely stops. Wat? WTF? Never in 18 months had any sort of issue with the V-Moda set but for one reason or another the iPhone 4 doesn't like them.

There is no rhythm or reason for this but bottom line is they're gonna have to due. The sound quality is (no doubt) not as good as the V-Moda set but hey...whatever makes the damn thing work better -- makes me happy.

I also broke done and put on the bumper case today. We'll see if anything is better or worse reception wise. The phone doesn't look nearly as great with that case on it. Bummer man. Gotta do it though just to satisfy myself.

11. ZAT

ZAT Member
    Bronze

Sounds very much like a physical jack issue. If it were a signal issue you'd get the crackling and such no matter what you were listening through. Does it do the same thing when listening to music? Try gently wiggling the connector to see if it causes issues. You may also want to take a good look into the connector hole to see if anything is in there. I carry my phone in my pockets a lot and noticed that lint gets everywhere. Had a piece lodge into the 30 pin slot that wouldn't allow me to sync/charge. Had to wiggle the connector home and then it would work. Finally looked into the slot under a bright light and magnifying glass to find a small piece of lint. After some work with a needle it came out and problem solved.

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Nope...the new headset works perfectly. Not sure it makes any sense except the new set is Apple brand for whatever that is worth.

It's very strange. The Apple sotre checked the jack and blew it out and said they found nothing wrong with it. I have no idea since it defies logic that my old head set would just start malfunctioning the minute I bought an iPhone 4 but maybe they just "knew"... D'oh.

Honestly I was thrilled with my new phone for the first day but more and more issues have been cropping up. I've been dropping a fair amount of calls all over the place while my old 3G rarely dropped calls away from my house. (no difference with the bumper case on it)

I might call AppleCare and ask for a replacement. I'm gonna roll for another week and see how it goes.

13. dcm

dcm New Member

I have had the same issue. Very intermittent, but I usually get complaints about fading out or a simple "hello, hello" from the other end. I'm going to the Genius Bar in an hour. BTW, one site recommended checking for lint. My iPhone4 is lint free. I also was using V-Moda headsets, but have the same problems with my new Sony headset and the original Apple headset.

14. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

Ceasor is home! Off topic but lmao at your avatar.

15. dcm

dcm New Member

The Genius saw a gray mushy thing in the jack. I am on my new replacement iPhone 4.

16. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

And this thread was started in Aug, 2010, so I'm not sure it had anything to do with the iP4S!