Live Feed of Phoenix Landing!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

"This Sunday, May 25th at 5:30pm CDT (6:30pm EDT, 3:30pm PDT) SpaceNet will be covering 7 minutes of terror during the decent of the Phoenix Lander to Mars."

Informational Video Here
Live Feed Here

Trivia:
This mission to Mars cost around 380 million dollars. The Phoenix Lander has been in transit for ten months. There hasn't been a successful power landing on Mars since 1976. There is a 20 minute delay in communications between us and the Phoenix Lander. So NASA is almost blindly guiding it.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
10 minutes for a signal to go between Earth and Mars, so it'll be on the surface when we're watching it. Interesting.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Obviously, they won't have a camera videotaping the descent (darn...). Did they say if it was going to send back images as soon as it has touched down?
I remember something about the first Viking lander sending back a picture of its own foot on the martian soil in 1976.

It was exciting then. Made you think we'd be walking on Mars in...2008:(, instead of trying to scratch the ground again.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Looks like it landed successfuly. Lots of hugs in mission control.

- John

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
It was exciting seeing them all anxious and nervous, as the guy on VOCA dictated what was happening up there every step of the process. I'm glad it got there.

For those unaware, the goal of this mission is to take water samples from the north polar region of Mars, and examine them for organic molecules (life). Should prove to be a worthy mission.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I need a running commentary on the last few pics to describe what I'm seeing, but this is remarkable!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I need a running commentary on the last few pics to describe what I'm seeing, but this is remarkable!
Phoenix took several pics of itself, including its foot and some other hardware.

The last picture is that of the horizon (soil and rocks) with sky on top.
I'm sure all those pics will be online at high resolution soon enough. This is just an iPhone picture (yes! Amazing device...) of Nasa's live internet TV as those pics were being transmitted. More will be available when Odyssey (the orbiter that's been up there for a couple of years) passes overhead again. It's Odyssey that's transmitting the Phoenix-taken pictures to Earth.

08:38 PM: the pictures just came online on the Phoenix site. I beat Nasa by 33 minutes on EIC;).

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I like your new avatar. Very a propos:).

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Here's the "foot", Martian colors provided by iPhoto (Nasa allows use of its pics for didactic purpose).

Last edited by a moderator: