Live Photos don't animate when swiping in camera roll

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by iErik, Sep 28, 2015.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Like the title says my Live Photos don't animate when you are swiping through the camera roll. They work just fine when you press on them but that's it. I distinctly remember that this was supposed to be a function. Is it working for others?

#1 iErik, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have to press them to get them to animate. I think Live Photos were a bit misrepresented in the Keynote. I was expecting them to cycle through an animation on the lock screen when you pressed the home button because that's how they work on the Apple Watch. I'd have to go back and watch the Keynote again to see if they stated that you'd have to press on them to get them to animate when scrolling through the camera roll. They probably did, but we weren't able to see their finger on the large display screen so we may have assumed they would animate automatically while scrolling.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

when you swipe through live pics in the photos app, they should briefly animate. works for me.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just checked again and it doesn't work for me when scrolling. I have to press and hold. Are you running the 9.1 beta? I'm on 9.0.1.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well, I thought about it and figured it out. I suspected that Reduce Motion might be disabling the animation while scrolling, so I toggled it off to test it, and that was it. I do get a very brief animation while scrolling through Live Photos with it off. I hate the genie animation when opening and closing apps more than the fade animation, so I'll be turning Reduce Motion back on.

6. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Thanks, Europa. My "reduce motion" is turned on ... I never would have thought of that. Mystery solved.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just walked past a Simply Mac store and noticed their display 6s' had fish swimming on the lock screen. My eyes lit up like two hearts and I started drooling. I knew right off it was demo mode, but it drew me inside to check it out. It cycled through each of the fish and then faded in a 6s Plus graphic. It looked so freaking cool. I wish they would allow this as a standard setting. It would be cool if you could set it as a screensaver while it's connected to a power source since battery drain wouldn't be an issue and have them cycle once when you press the home/lock buttons when not connected to a power source. Hopefully, an iOS will bring that feature.

8. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

Like the idea.