Loading my own mp3's and movies on iPhone

Skyraker

Jul 9, 2008
Before I plunk down $300 for the new iPhone I want to know if I can plug the iPhone into my Win-XP laptop (via USB cable) and download my own personal mp3's and movies to the iPhone?

Can you do that, or does everything have to go through iTunes?

Thanks!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Before I plunk down $300 for the new iPhone I want to know if I can plug the iPhone into my Win-XP laptop (via USB cable) and download my own personal mp3's and movies to the iPhone?

Thanks!
It has to go through iTunes. There were some jailbroken apps that allowed a workaround, but for the stock firmware, it must go through iTunes. You can use software like videora for iPhone to convert your movies that load the movie into iTunes after conversion. It's not a big deal.

Skyraker

Jul 9, 2008
When you say it has to go through iTunes, do you mean I have to re-purchase all my music from iTunes if I want it listen to it on my iPhone?

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
When you say it has to go through iTunes, do you mean I have to re-purchase all my music from iTunes if I want it listen to it on my iPhone?
you should be able to import the files into iTunes from your computer.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
any mp3 you have, purchased or not, will load into iTunes and onto your iPhone.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
you should be able to import the files into iTunes from your computer.
If they are your personal, non-DRM'ed MP3's (ripped from CD, for example), then yes. However, if these are DRM-protected files, like from one of the online music stores or Zune music files bought from the Zune Marketplace, then no.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think iTunes can decrypt Windows Media Player protection, right?

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
If they are your personal, non-DRM'ed MP3's (ripped from CD, for example), then yes. However, if these are DRM-protected files, like from one of the online music stores or Zune music files bought from the Zune Marketplace, then no.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think iTunes can decrypt Windows Media Player protection, right?
It depends where you bought them, there are some sites where you can purchase non-encrypted mp3s.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
That's why I mentioned the phrase, "if these are DRM-protected files". ;)
well you did say "If they are drm-protected files like from one of the online music stores "
if we are going to get picky about it ;-)

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
well you did say "If they are drm-protected files like from one of the online music stores "
if we are going to get picky about it ;-)
If you want to get picky ;) then that statement doesn't not necessarily mean all files from those places are protected. Even if I say, "the majority of DRM music are bought from online music stores", it doesn't mean that all music from those stores are protected.

At any rate, I think the OP gets the message. :p

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
No. You just import them into iTunes. With music it's simple. With movies they must be converted with videora for iPhone. Videora for iPhone will import the movies for you at the end of the conversion process.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado

Thanks!
you have to use iTunes, its really simple to get all your music and movies onto iTunes, then you just sync with the phone