Loaner phone arrived, with a surprise

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
The loaner arrived! I packaged mine up ready to be sent. I peeled off the plastic stuff from the front of the loaner and turned it on. Guess what?

There was a pic of a vehicle as a screen saver showing the license plate (New Jersey). I looked in contacts and it was loaded down with them, with many pictures of the contacts. It made a few alert noises and showed new email. Even with my sim card, I was still getting her emails.

The ipod portion has some good stuff on there, some not so good (by my taste).

So I figure someone sent in there phone for repair and was given a new phone. Don't know if this one was ever fixed or if there was a screw up and I got someone's phone that is waiting for it.

Since I like to do a little practical joking.... I start getting some really good evil ideas using this persons email sending to their contacts. My wife tells me "no", but is laughing.

Being the nice guy, I find the "home" contact and call. I talk to the persons mother telling her what has happened. I also inform her the dangers of sending anything in with personal info stored. She told me to get rid of the contacts as the phone has been replaced.

Just to let everyone know, wipe your phone, whatever else, if you have to send it in for repair. You may get something new and yours sent out with all your info.

If I wanted to be a jerk, or better yet, stalker, this would be too easy. I have all this COLLEGE girls contacts (with pictures of some of them), someone's license plate number, email address's etc. Can you imagine what I could do with this info?

Please be cautious when sending in your phone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple should also be more careful with people's personal info. you would think they would restore loaners before sending them off again.

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
I'm hoping this was a mistake on Apple's part. However, it did happen.

Meaning, don't take chances. Wipe your phone before you send it in. All you have to do is re-synch it when you get your phone back, or a new one. Not like it's that difficult.

Better than having your info in someone's hands. Could end up in some jerks hands and cause you loads of problems. Not that I'm the best person in the world, but I could not bring myself to mess with a total stranger. I called someone in the contacts that might know what was going on, their mom, and had it figured out. I could cause this person loads of problems, but I'm not like that.

Although...... I could shure have some fun with their contacts through email.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Wow that really seems like it could turn into a problematic issue with Apple. I mean, I'm sure it was a one time thing but, in our current world, someone gets out the wrong contacts and BOOM, lawsuit. It would be really fun to mess with people though :laugh2:.

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
I just sent an email to her listing how easy it would be to find her. Phone numbers, addresses, pictures of friends, emails etc. All stalker ammo as any good stalker would love to have.

I called the "home" contact earlier in the day, I think I spoke with her mother explaining just how serious this could be.

The best part.... I added the little thing about girls giving a little too much info in chat rooms, and cops finding them and giving them a scare along with the parents.... Well, good thing this girls phone was mailed to a cop huh?

I do think it would be fun to mess with her.... little things like..... emailing some of her contacts, along with her parents about something really bad.... lets say....

"I'm really broke and been skimming from my pimp and need to borrow $500 dollars, please help, any amount will help as he will beat me and I don't know what to do. Please, I needed the money to go through college and I did not know what to do, he will hurt me, sorry I lied to you, I really need the money".

Hmmm.... That would be really mean would it not? With my twisted, sick, backwards sense of humor it rates right up there according to my other cop buddies. Just too mean and I refrained.... I can't believe I did as I just live for practical jokes, this was too far though..... Even though I don't know this person.

I guess it's a good thing this girls phone ended up at my house. I sent an email saying the phone would be wiped at noon on the 13th. Save the emails as I don't know if wiping the phone will erase them or not. I did give a rash of crap of sending in a phone with so much personal info.

I can't believe people don't wipe their phones, other devices of personal info when sending in.

Please wipe everything people. This would be too much fun to mess with for a few weeks. OR, stalk someone, too easy. Please, please wipe the info. I really don't want to read about anyone in the paper, listen on the news, or have to take the report of someone being killed by something so stupid as not wiping their info from a device.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
spscoral said:
So I figure someone sent in there phone for repair and was given a new phone. Don't know if this one was ever fixed or if there was a screw up and I got someone's phone that is waiting for it.
spscoral said:
Since I like to do a little practical joking.... I start getting some really good evil ideas using this persons email sending to their contacts. My wife tells me "no", but is laughing.

Being the nice guy, I find the "home" contact and call. I talk to the persons mother telling her what has happened. I also inform her the dangers of sending anything in with personal info stored. She told me to get rid of the contacts as the phone has been replaced.

If I wanted to be a jerk, or better yet, stalker, this would be too easy. I have all this COLLEGE girls contacts (with pictures of some of them), someone's license plate number, email address's etc. Can you imagine what I could do with this info?

Better than having your info in someone's hands. Could end up in some jerks hands and cause you loads of problems. Not that I'm the best person in the world, but I could not bring myself to mess with a total stranger. I called someone in the contacts that might know what was going on, their mom, and had it figured out. I could cause this person loads of problems, but I'm not like that.

Although...... I could shure have some fun with their contacts through email.
I just sent an email to her listing how easy it would be to find her. Phone numbers, addresses, pictures of friends, emails etc. All stalker ammo as any good stalker would love to have.
I called the "home" contact earlier in the day, I think I spoke with her mother explaining just how serious this could be.

The best part.... I added the little thing about girls giving a little too much info in chat rooms, and cops finding them and giving them a scare along with the parents.... Well, good thing this girls phone was mailed to a cop huh?

I do think it would be fun to mess with her.... little things like..... emailing some of her contacts, along with her parents about something really bad.... lets say....

"I'm really broke and been skimming from my pimp and need to borrow $500 dollars, please help, any amount will help as he will beat me and I don't know what to do. Please, I needed the money to go through college and I did not know what to do, he will hurt me, sorry I lied to you, I really need the money".

Hmmm.... That would be really mean would it not? With my twisted, sick, backwards sense of humor it rates right up there according to my other cop buddies. Just too mean and I refrained.... I can't believe I did as I just live for practical jokes, this was too far though..... Even though I don't know this person.

I guess it's a good thing this girls phone ended up at my house. I sent an email saying the phone would be wiped at noon on the 13th. Save the emails as I don't know if wiping the phone will erase them or not. I did give a rash of crap of sending in a phone with so much personal info.

Several things you pointed out kinda irked me; not the fact that you rec'd a phone with someone's info- that not new- happens all the time.

Apple isn't the 1st nor last to make a mistake like this.

What got me is the numerous times you pointed out how easy and fun it would be to mess with this girl; while in the same breath saying you wouldn't do anything like that. If you hadnt of said it so often, I probably would have not paid any attention to it.

You wouldn't label yourself as someone "like that." Calling and getting her mom on the phone was a good thing. She gave you her blessing to remove the contacts because the phone had been replaced.

But for some reason you decided to contact this girl by email. Why? Because you're not a stalker.

You don't have to keep going after her; you did your part; now just remove the contacts and pay attention to your wife instead of some chick you don't know- which maybe you're trying to get to know.

As a cop, you should know better. Once you established what happened, that should have been the end of it. Leave the girl alone. I'm sitting here thinking- and I CAN be wrong, that you did do more than you keep throwing out here.

Honestly, there is no need to keep defending what you wouldn't do if you hadnt done it already.

Good thing her info was mailed to a cop? Then if you really believe that, leave her alone and stop trying to scare her; since you're not that "type of person!" Whatever thats supposed to mean.

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
scandelex....

At work, we all are very much practical jokers. My mind is still abuzz with all kinds of jokes I could do, good, bad or indifferent.

I called her mother telling her the severity of what could happen if this was in the wrong persons possession. I emailed the former owner of the same. I posted of what could happen, and as the joker I am..... well, 'nuff said.

I did nothing to harass, bother, intimidate or stalk this former owner of the phone. I simple made a point as to not send in something with personal info. I also emailed as to how easy it is to find a person, with the info left on the phone. Basically, called her mother, then sent an email. Ok, two contacts. What's wrong with that?

I don't want to see or hear of anyone being a victim of violent, or other crime because they left personal info on a device that was sent in for repair. That is easy enough to swallow, I think I made that point, although, I do like to joke and kid around with people. I have not with this situation, it was difficult, as I like to do that kind of stuff.... But I take this as serious, this person made a mistake and could very easily been victimized due to complacent irrespospibility.

Please don't misunderstand. I don't want to see or hear of anyone being victimized due to something like this. I don't know how long it will take for her mother to relay the message, so I sent an email. With my job, I don't think it can be pounded into someones head too much.

I think I made my point in what I said to her mother, and my email. Hopefully, this person (and others reading this) will take appropriate measures to keep their identity secure.

I actually feel somewhat offended by your post. I suppose I should read through what has been posted as to how it comes across. In no way do I mean this person harm. I am trying to get a point across as some people need more than just "don't do this".

I, as the others I work with are very much practical jokers. Get a little tidbit of something and run with it. I was simply posting there is way too much to run with. If I did not make that clear, I apologize. In no way do I mean this person harm, just random thoughts of practical jokes (however mean). If I came across as a turd just stalking this person, that was not my intent. My intent was to get a point across as to keeping one's identity secure.

Again, I don't want to hear of anyone being a victim because of complacency. I post as a warning to anyone sending in their phone, please wipe the thing.

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry. It was not my intent to cause undue stress on the people reading this. I am a practical joker, and I can think of so many ways to "mess" with people given the opportunity. This phone should have been wiped by the previous owner, then Apple. I should (or anyone) in no way have this persons information.

If this thread, or post, offends you, I apologize.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Maybe you had good intentions and maybe you didn't; I wouldn't know one way or the other. But what you should keep in mind- not all of us are going to read something as YOU intended it to be read.

Pratical joker or not- you're not a kid. How you may play on the job shouldnt extend to people who don't know you from adams hat rack.

I get the point that you just wanted her and everybody in the world to be careful; but as I said, once you made contact with her mom, anything after that was overkill and it did seem to me that you went on endlessly to let forum members know the things you wouldn't do.

You did your part......it's over now.

After all that- did you wipe the phone or are you still contacting her to let her know the error of her and Apple's ways?

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
The phone is wiped. One call was made to her mother, and one email was sent to the previous owner. Overkill? maybe. She is miles away and who know's how long it will take to get the message, and will it be correct?

My intentions, to keep everyone safe from identity theft. Yes, I joke and kid around, but this is a huge flaw with the system.

After re-reading everything I have posted, I do feel offended by your post. I may have missed something, if so I apologize, but there is either a miscommunication or misunderstanding either by myself or you as to what I was posting.

I have no plans to harass, continue emailing (only 1 sent), stalk or whatever to this person. I think my point was made and she will not do this again. That is my goal, no more personal info given out to anyone. Believe me, it is really easy to obtain someones information.

I really don't want want anyone to fall prey to a turd looking for free money, credit, etc from someone else's information. I am simply posting that I could be a turd and give her a hard time, heck, with this info I could obtain, well try, to obtain credit with the info in this phone.

The basics are in this phone (before I wiped it). The rest could have been obtained via internet. Please be careful with your personal information. It's too easy to have your identity stolen.

You are correct, you don't know me, none of you do. You don't know how I am or what I am capable of. I can tell you this, I look out for others best interests, and don't want to see anyone harmed by identity theft. I do however, like to joke and kid around.

It is over, I called her mother and sent her an email. that is my part, hopefully they will listen and not repeat the error. I don't want anyone being a victim of identity theft.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i agree with scandalex. all your posts talk way too much about how you could mess with this girl - a total stranger that you don't even know. i understand practical jokes, but everyone i know only plays practical jokes on people they already know, basing it on their personal history with that person. unless you're running candid camera or punk'd, why mess with a total stranger who'd probably end up being scared by what you do?

you're right in that it probably wasn't that smart of her to leave her personal info on her phone when she sent it to Apple. but maybe she expected to get it back, and not get a new one in exchange. and why wouldn't she trust Apple to do the right thing and erase the phone before they did anything else with it? she probably had no experience or other information to think that it could get into someone else's hands, and 9 times out of 10, she'd be right.

aside from the questionable decision to leave her personal information on her phone, this girl hasn't done anything wrong, so why even think of trying to scare her? it's not her fault that Apple handled this incorrectly. cops are supposed to know the difference between the innocent/unfortunate and criminals - you sound like you wanted to punish her for something that didn't even hurt anyone. and as a woman, believe me, having some guy i don't even know contact me or my friends just because he got a hold of some of my personal information is truly weird and would cause me to think that someone was seriously wrong with him. and i would contact the police. and hopefully not get a hold of someone like you.

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
you guys are reading way too much into a forum post and making some serious accusations based on your own personal opinion; I blame Court Tv. Yes there is a chance this man is a creep, but isn't the bigger and more reasonable probability that he simply experienced something odd/funny and just wanted to share his story? Iam just saying that you shouldn't prosecute and convict someone based on your reading between the lines. Maybe I am wrongly assuming people in this forum are mature adults instead of people whom are clearly suffring from trust issues.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Apple is new in the phone businesss and privacy stuff
they will need a couple of law suite then they will get ther act together
That's the way it workk

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
you guys are reading way too much into a forum post and making some serious accusations based on your own personal opinion; I blame Court Tv. Yes there is a chance this man is a creep, but isn't the bigger and more reasonable probability that he simply experienced something odd/funny and just wanted to share his story? Iam just saying that you shouldn't prosecute and convict someone based on your reading between the lines. Maybe I am wrongly assuming people in this forum are mature adults instead of people whom are clearly suffring from trust issues.
Reading way too much?

Interpretation is based on what we all think as individuals; this isn't about ONE mind.

No offense, but guys tend to believe each other more so than women; we're not that niave; well, some of us anyway. ;)

I'm sure you've heard that whats funny to one isn't funny to everyone.

The point I am making isn't about beating up on anyone- but looking at this differently. I didn't find offense to him contacting someone (mom) and letting them know what occurred; the girl probably thought she was going to get her own phone back. What Apple did is not her fault.

Maybe he went on and on about Apple being so wrong cause this is all about the iPhone. But guess what, this is not news. I haven't come across one company that hasn't done this before. There's no big woot woot there. This happens all the time.

His many post on the subject about rec'g someone's information really aint all that earth shattering.

I've already stated and will stand by what I said because it is my opinion that he may have done quite the opposite of all he has posted.
And I hope to any higher power listening that he actually didn't do the "practical joke" thing!

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
I agree with Scandalex, coming in and telling the story once as a PSA seems fine. But when the same story is told numerous times about how this person could "mess" with some one, then it gets suspicious in a few ways. Way number one, is the guy truly a weirdo freak and actually did "mess" with this girl and is just waiting for someone to give him the "go ahead" to tell his story because it would be funny and cool? Way number two, did the guy actually do the right thing and then is breaking his own arm to pat himself on the back because not enough "web people" came in and gave him the number of kudos he feels entitled to? Either way, as someone that has been in law enforcement for a good number of years, it is not "appropriate" to continue blathering on and on about how you "could" mess with someone. Lets say he is truly joking and was truly talking about playing just jokes on this person, is that the image you want of a law enforcement officer? I was always instructed when I went through the academy that LEOs are held to a "higher" standard both in uniform and out. Just food for thought.

why

Aug 3, 2007
Boston
This actually happened to me when I bought a blackberry used online. In the persons notes, he had his usernames and passwords to all these websites like travelosity. I restored it tho, I wouldn't mess with his life.

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
This has given me the creeps.

I used to work for a police department and behaviour like that would be enough for a charge of harassment.

Every Tuesday and every other Friday (because he travels) I have to put up with someone who flashes his headlights and honks his horn at me and watches me through binoculars. He knows where I work and where I have lunch. Nothing can be done at this point because he has not threatened or made contact with me.

You may find it funny to "mess" with her. I certainly don't. Some of us worry about more than just identity theft - we worry about our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.