Location reminders don't work too well

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by itsabouttime, Oct 20, 2011.

1. itsabouttime

itsabouttime Member
    Silver

The first couple of times I used the location reminder it worked pretty well although it seemed to alarm me just a tad late, maybe a couple of minutes after I arrived at the targeted location, but now I've tried it twice in the last couple of days and it never alarmed me at all.
    Anyone else seeing spotty service with this?

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I found that when I Have used it, it reminds me 2-3 miles before I arrive at my destination. Opposite problems I guess!

3. itsabouttime

itsabouttime Member
    Silver

Hmmm....I guess I'd rather it remind me sooner than later, lol.
    I really like this feature, just wish it was more reliable.

4. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Do you have and iPhone 4 or 4S?

5. itsabouttime

itsabouttime Member
    Silver

I have the 4S.

6. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

It worked the two times I tried on my iPhone 4. However, the battery drain was higher because location service was always running. I set a reminder for home and it hit pulling in the garage. The second time was at the office and it hit as I came to the drive. Our office doesn't show up exact in google maps.

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It may depend on your GPS accuracy also. To test this, set a geofence/reminder. On your way to the destination, have your maps app open to monitor the accuracy. If it has a big circle around your current location, then the accuracy is not so good. This may trigger a premature alert or none at all.

8. Jowie

Jowie New Member

Siri's reminders don't work with my home address at all. And my GPS signal there is totally fine. I have no idea why! :(

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Have you set the My Info tab in Siri ? Make a contact with your info in it, address, etc... This will give Siri the info 'she' needs and helps immensely.

10. Jowie

Jowie New Member

Yes, Siri knows where I live. I can even ask 'him' (UK ;)) "where do I live?" and he will give back my home address. So I'm stumped!

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Here is a tip that has helped me.

I find that while the GPS info is accurate the mapping data is "not so much." For instance when I locate myself at home it is spot-on, even to which part of the house I am in--as seen by satellite mode.

But the ADRESS that Maps thinks it is is not my actual street address. So it is spot-on GPS coordinate-wise, but off on the street number by several houses. Sure enough I wasn't getting "when I leave home" reminders till after I drove past that house.

So I added this other address that Maps "thinks" is my home to my own contact info. Now when I tell Siri to remind me when I leave home she does it soon as I leave the driveway.

I have done this for a few other locations by me, for say, businessses that also show correct in GPS but incorrect address data. When at those locations I have Maps find me and then add my current location to that businessses existing contact. If I have more than one address for a contact Siri will ask me which one to use. I custom label the "other" address "GPS Address" to make it clear it is not their actual location or mailing address.

This has helped make location-based reminders much more reliable. Hope this was clear enough to help someone else!

MIchael

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

By the way... I also notice that if the address info does not match GPS info AND you don't pass that incorrect address the location alarm does not go off. For instance when my had the "wrong" street number "when I leave home" reminders would not go off till I passed the incorrect address. But if when I left my house I went the opposite direct, I never crossed into what Siri "thought" was my home and the reminder would not trigger. Hope that made sense.

Michael

13. Jowie

Jowie New Member

Well worth checking this out... I will look later when I get home. Thanks!

If this is the case then it's not a particularly good fix because I'll have to store my home address as an incorrect one... Would be good if Apple allow a home address GPS coordinate to be set at some point in the future!

14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, that would be the best solution but it is not possible at this time. Setting up a geo-fence based on simply address data, however, is going to be flawed unless you happen to live in an area where the map data is just about perfect.

Also, there are cases where an address is so "big" it is not really useful. If I wanted to get a reminder when I got to my grocery store it might be within a large shopping center, with one address for all. But by using GPS data it could narrow that down to just the grocery store. I have already had a grocery store reminder go off as I went to get a haircut on the other end of the shopping center.

Michael

15. Jowie

Jowie New Member

Well I've kinda sorted it now, for my home address at least. I found that if I use the full address which includes region information (in my case, Newbury Park), the region was getting confused as a different location altogether (Newbury Court)... Which I discovered when I drove down a road about half a mile from my home address and the reminder went off! So by removing that line of my address it's closer (in my street) but still the pin is about 5 doors down from my actual address. I think this is more of an issue in the UK than in the US because Google Maps doesn't have such accurate address information.

I guess the only solution they can give is the ability to actually drop a pin on the map in Contacts.app to override the coordinates it thinks are correct. Even better would be a command with Siri:

"Set my current location to my home address."
    Siri: (shows map with pin of current location) "I'll set this location as your home address, is that okay?"
    "Yes."

etc...

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I think we really need a GPS coordinates field in contacts.

Beyond that, in my opinion, location based reminders would be better if we could fine tune the geofence. Currently I have no idea where the actual perimeter of the fence is. But I know there are times I would like to either expand or contract the area, or even move it. For instance I might want a reminder to buy coffee when I go into my usual grocery store, but not if I simply drive past it. Other times I might indeed want to be reminded if I did pass it, so I did not forget to stop.

Same thing in my home: I can see what part of the house I am in in Maps. Would be nice to set a reminder for a specific location. But I think I might be taking this too far. "Remind me to turn off light when I leave the kitchen." :D

Michael

17. Jowie

Jowie New Member

Wow... Either your GPS signal is awesome, or you have a huuuge house! :p

I'm lucky if my GPS knows which house I'm in... ;)

18. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Just average sized home... maybe slightly larger.

I think it is beyond just GPS though, and also using wifi and cell tower triangulation too.

There are a lot of wifi networks in my town. I didn't believe it till I actually did it but I can "almost" use my WiFi only iPad for street-level navigation. In fact someone else did it and came to the erroneous conclusion that the WiFi only iPad II had true GPS hardware, which it does not. It did it all with just WiFi! Here are a few videos I shot when testing it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6ID2evUps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfhJTyCcJDs

So I think, on the iPhone, with true GPS as well as cell tower access added into the mix, it is able to locate me within my house. Not always down to exactly which room, but certainly close.

Michael

19. Jowie

Jowie New Member

I guess we just need to wait for some bright spark to invent a cheap, easy-to-install device into the home where you stick three or four satellite-type precise clocks into wall sockets and then devices can track your movement accurate to the centimetre about the house... :cool:

20. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

The grain of sand sized RFID chip that will be in our grandchildren's wrists will better handle that, probably down to the micrometer. :)

Michael