Location Services issue with Find My Friends

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by iPutz, May 4, 2014.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The location services icon at the top of the home screen constantly shows as an outline of the icon indicating that one of my apps is using location services for Geo-fencing. I have narrowed it down to the Find My Friends app. If I go to Settings/Privacy/location services and turn off the switch next to Find My Friends, the icon immediately disappears. Turn it back on and it immediately reappears. This is in spite of the fact that the app has been force quit and is not running. I have only done a hard reset but don't want to go further in case this is normal behavior for the app and I just haven't noticed it before. I am using an iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1.1.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try deleting and reinstalling the app.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

It could be that someone has a notification turned on for you. Such as when you leave a certain place.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

To Europa's question, yes, I tried that twice and to RoofMonkey's question I don't think so. I have the same three friends in both my iPhone and iPad and on the iPad when I force quit the app the Icon (solid white, no Geo-fencing) disappears entirely in 2 or 3 seconds, so I'm guessing that someone Geo-fencing me is not the issue as it only shows up that way on the phone and that the problem is on the phone only. Is there any way to turn off Geo-fencing in Find My Friends?

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I downloaded Find My Friends to check it out. I don't see any way to disable geofencing. Each time I tap the "help" button the app crashes. What is this app good for anyway? I don't think I would want people following me around and seeing where I am. And I could care less where my friends are.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Well, I un-installed the app and re-installed it for the second time and it now seems to work as I expected it to. When I close the app, in a few a seconds, the location services icon disappears completely as it should. I guess that the second time's a charm. Thanks to all who tried to help, it's appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone 5

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not necessarily so your friends can track you in a stalkerish way. It's great for parents who want to keep tabs on their kids. It's probably invaluable to a lot of them.
    Glad to hear that it worked.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I think Apple mis named the app, my daughter-in-law has a much better name, she calls it the Stalker App and we all call it that now.

Sent from my iPhone 5

9. Adrian Atkinson

Adrian Atkinson New Member

I think this iPhone service is for dating.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Jealous wife/husband.

I totally agree with you. As I said above, jealous wife/husband.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The 2nd quote was not mine. Your mistake? Or an app bug? I've seen this happen a few times recently.

12. alicepattinson

Bronze

Does it have to be a jealous husband/wife if you want to track them?

13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

My son and I use it all the time to know if the other is home in order to stop over to visit or to know each others progress on a trip. My wife and I can also tell where the other is, if needed.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Of course not, that's just one of various scenarios.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it's another app bug. It quotes the proper person if you use mobile Safari.
    image.jpg

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The second quote belongs to Adrian Atkinson.... at least that's what the post looks like on my end (on OS X Safari):

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 7.35.45 AM.png

Are you (and maybe @Europa) seeing something different? :eek:

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He's not seeing it properly because he's using the app. It appears correctly on the mobile and full site.

#17 Europa, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yes, you did say "Yes, it's another app bug. It quotes the proper person if you use mobile Safari." I see that now.

I need to slow down a bit when I read posts! LOL

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I used this app for the first time a few days ago and it was actually really helpful. I planned on meeting my brother at an air show. He arrived quite a while before me. There was a 20+ mile perimeter around the airport where he could have parked and I had no idea where he was. I got my phone out and was ready to text him for directions when I noticed I had an email. It was a Find My Friends request from him. He had preset a limit for four hours of location sharing. Upon accepting it, there was a link for Apple Maps, so I loaded it up and it directed me to his exact location. This eliminated the need for texting or a phone call for specific directions. Sure, he could have just shared his location with me via text, but that's static and won't show if his location changed and he wouldn't have been able to see my ETA. It worked out great and automatically stopped sharing our locations after four hours.