Location services not working after 2.1 firmware update

Sep 13, 2008
Hello,

Location services does not seem to work since I have updated my iPhone 3g to firmware 2.1. It was working fine with 2.02. ANybody has the same problem or solutions for this issue?

Location services is set to ON. I tried restarting the phone, switching location services OFF and ON but no luck.

Thanks,

Sonny

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
Same here, I can't get gps to work. The maps load fine but it can't locate me.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Mine is working but I did notice that prior to 2.1 an app that wanted to use location server would ask you if it was ok to turn on, now it tells you to go to settings to turn it on yourself, than you have to re-open the app. I like it better the old way.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Try several hard reboots. Mine was doing that and after several hard reboots it finally recognized 3G reception.

danhats

Jul 13, 2008
3G reception issue

when you say hard reboots, what do you mean exactly?

i upgraded to 2.1 today and i'm still having issues with my non-existent 3G reception. any ideas?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'm on 2.1 with a V1 phone and it still asks every time I open camera, maps, locate me, and other apps.
Something doesn't sound right with your FW.
Try dumping your current ipsw file and downloading and restoring to a fresh version. It solved several problems I was having when I first updated to 2.1

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
To hard boot, hold your home key and the top right power off key at the same time. You will see a slide across at the top to shut down. Slide across and your phone turns completlely off. Give it a few moments and then push the top right power button. You will see the white Apple logo for a few moments, sometimes it takes a little longer, and then your phone will boot back up. Hope that helps.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
that's not a hard boot... That's turning it off... To do a hard boot:

Hold home and power button down, don't release when the "slide to power off" comes up, keep holding

The phone will shut off but still hold it in until you see the Apple logo

To do a soft boot just release when the phone shuts off... Then hold the power button in ONLY and Apple logo will appear

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Thanks for correcting me! Sorry about that!

GIRTH628

Nov 15, 2007
for record I just tried mine on the tide home from work and I hate to say it, but my GPS worked. Good luck all.

danhats

Jul 13, 2008
after what seems like a hundred hard reboots, i'm still having no joy with my 3g issue. is there more to this 3g businesss then just switching it on and off? do i have to set something up first? or am i just unlucky enough to be in the 2-3% whose phone just cannot hack it?

thenritze

Sep 16, 2008
so i have hard rebooted and soft rebooted and just turned it on and off 6 times each, and not only does my map come up blank and then quit, other apps that use the gps/my location do not work. thoughts? the only thing different from this morning is using the automated iTunes update function...

thanks!

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Not here

the GPS I working fine as everything else.I have not JB or a y other hack pure stock.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
so i have hard rebooted and soft rebooted and just turned it on and off 6 times each, and not only does my map come up blank and then quit, other apps that use the gps/my location do not work. thoughts? the only thing different from this morning is using the automated iTunes update function...

thanks!
I hate to suggest this because it is a bit of a pain in the ass, but back up all your pics and notes and then go into settings, general, reset and erase all data and settings. sit back and relax, it takes an hour or so. this will rejail your phone if unlocked. this is going back to bone stock factory settings.
Then set your phone up as a new phone. iTunes will keep all your apps, vids, and music. you will have to configure brightness, ringtone, etc.
If that doesn't get it working, take it in to Apple.

thenritze

Sep 16, 2008
I hate to suggest this because it is a bit of a pain in the ass, but back up all your pics and notes and then go into settings, general, reset and erase all data and settings. sit back and relax, it takes an hour or so. this will rejail your phone if unlocked. this is going back to bone stock factory settings.
Then set your phone up as a new phone. iTunes will keep all your apps, vids, and music. you will have to configure brightness, ringtone, etc.
Hawk - thanks! I actually just did the reset all settings, which took less than a minute, and the location services and maps are working perfect.

thanks again!

tom

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
My gps is still not working. Actually it located me briefly once but after the iPhone went into sleep mode, it lost the signal and hasn't done it since then.

Guess I'll do a full restore once I get a chance.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My gps is still not working. Actually it located me briefly once but after the iPhone went into sleep mode, it lost the signal and hasn't done it since then.

Guess I'll do a full restore once I get a chance.
don't restore, try a reset all settings.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
after what seems like a hundred hard reboots, i'm still having no joy with my 3g issue. is there more to this 3g businesss then just switching it on and off? do i have to set something up first? or am i just unlucky enough to be in the 2-3% whose phone just cannot hack it?
I have found that GPS works better with 3G disabled. I cannot get a fix with the 3G attenna activated

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Quick question. Why can't you just restore to a new phone and not go through the hour long erase all data. Doesn't the restore clear your phone anyway? I did this last night and had to reset everything after I did the sync