Lock Widgets - Free Alternative to IntelliScreen [Updated, 2/6]

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You've probably all tried IntelliScreen, but it costs and and isn't the most stable of apps out there. These widgets serve as a free alternative (and they're much better looking, in my opinion) to IntelliScreen. Everything about them can be changed - the city for the weather, the wallpaper, etc.

Important Information:

• When using the widgets, ensure that the widget is at the top of the list in WinterBoard.

• If you use these widgets and the app "iRealSMS" at the same time, the widgets notifications will not show up.

• Do not select Lock Status.theme in WinterBoard; this is the theme installed by Status Notifier - you do not need it. Delete it.

• • The "Tap to Unlock" and "Slide to Unlock" widgets cannot be installed at the same time. This is not a bug or anything that can be fixed; it's just the way that Cydia works.
For current & future updates, as well as a changelog, see the bottom of this post.

Requirements:
• Status Notifier - can be downloaded from Cydia or here. If you download it from Google Code, use these instructions to install it.
• WinterBoard (Version 0.9.2661-1 or higher is recommended.)
• 20 Second Lock Screen - not really a requirement, but highly recommended. Download from Cydia.

Credit:
• Zetetic Apparatchik - Creating the Weather Widget
• GaMerZ - creation of calendar
• pablo_aza21 - Numbers in notifications
• Nuclear Potato - Slock (Tap to Unlock images)
• Myself - "Tap to Unlock" integration, bug fixes, calendar UI, complete engine coding, accordion, fix for call time bug
• Aldwin - integration of Status Notifier, major coding, bug fixes, accordion
• Apple - Weather data retrieval code (this was stolen from the Mac OS X widget)

Styles:

There are currently two widgets. One is the regular version (tap to unlock), and the other is the regular version (slide to unlock).

Screenshots:

Calendar and Weather Hidden:

Calendar Visible:

Weather Visible:

DOWNLOAD
Download in Cydia by adding the EIC Repo:
http://eicrepo.com/cydia

Configuration, How to Use, & How to Fix Cutoff Problem:

Configuration:

When installed from Cydia, the widgets will show the weather for Charleston, WV. You can have them display the weather for your city by doing the following:
1) SSH into your iPhone and go to /Library/Themes.
2) Open the widget you downloaded. (Eg.,Slide Widget, Tap Widget, etc.)
3) Find the file configureme.js and open it in a Text Editor. Change the part that says "Charleston, WV" (just a few lines from the top) to your city. (Eg., New York, NY).
4) Save the file and replace it with the old one.

To Use:

Once the widget is active, you will see what is displayed in the first screenshot. To display the calendar, simply tap the date. To hide it, tap the date again. To see a five-day weather forecast, tap the weather bar. To hide, tap it again. Notifications will appear as necessary.

Fixing the Call Time & Caller Location cutoff problem:

By default, the widgets cut off the call time and caller location (mobile, home, etc.) in the phone app. This fix will not be published with the widgets on Cydia to the results being unsatisfactory to me. The fix is simple:

1) Navigate to /Library/Themes on your iPhone. Open the theme you have installed (Tap Widget.theme or Slide Widget.theme.)
2) Drop the two files in this .zip file into the theme (UIIMages folder and LockBackground.html.)

Coming in future versions:
None. Development on the widgets has ceased.
Updated, 2/6/09:
• Fixed bug that prevented installing more than one widget at a time due to Cydia giving an error message about .DS_Store files
• Fixed issue where a .DS_Store file would appear in WinterBoard when a widget was installed
• Added fix for call time & caller location cutoff to post
Known Bugs: (These will be fixed as soon as possible.)
None! Let me know if you find any.
NOTE: You may have noticed a problem in which you are not able to tap the "Ignore" or "Hold + Answer" buttons while in a call. This is not a bug produced by the widgets, but it is unknown what does cause it at the moment.
Changelog:
[3/13/09] Snow Widget removed from repository indefinitely.
[2.1.2 (Tap & Slide Widgets) and 1.2.1 (Snow Widget), 2/6/09]: Fixed bug that prevented more than one widget from being installed at a time, fixed issue that made a .DS_Store file show up in WinterBoard after widget installation, added fix for call time cutoff to post.
[1/11/09] All widgets now available in the EIC Cydia Repository.
[1.2 (Snow Widget), 12/19/08] Increased number of snow flakes on screen, changed notifications from all caps to proper formatting, HUD bar for clock/date bar.
[12/5/08] Addition of new Snow Lock Widget
[2.1.1, 12/4/08] The user can now set the wallpaper within the Settings application. Bug with "slide to view, slide to listen, etc. text fixed, bug where notifications with a value of 10 + displayed improperly fixed.
[2.1, 11/23/08] Better compatibility with firmware 2.2. Updated post with instructions on removing call timer bug.
[2.0, 11/9/08] Calendar reformatted, calendar and five day weather can now be hidden/shown, date display reformatted, modified HUD, new wallpaper, only two widgets offered, notifications updated in real-time
[1.3, 10/29/08] Bug fixes, improved load times due to less code runtime, one day weather widgets come with lock calendar, new HUD, new wallpaper
[1.2.1, 10/20/08] Bug fixes, removed unnecessary code form JS files.
[v1.2, 10/16/08] Many bug fixes, overall stability improvement, new user interface, new hosting website.
[10/16/08] Removed download links due to improper file hosting. To be re-added this afternoon with video tutorial.
[v1.1, 10/13/08] New default wallpaper, multiple bug fixes, added versions without weather, added support for more notifications
[v1.0, 10/12/08] First release.

blazew0n

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Wow that is Great... Will try it out right now. Thanks

blazew0n

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Just to be sure, what directory to i install this in?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Just to be sure, what directory to i install this in?
/Library/Themes.

Does this drain the battery much, I mean any more than usual?
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life. I've been using the phone with the mod applied since 2 yesterday afternoon, using it the same way I do everyday.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Lincoln, I just did this, but I have what appears to be a wifi icon to the left of the mail icon. Can I get rid of this?

EDIT:::: I think I might have realized that it is my RSS feed?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
That sounds like a cool app. I think I'm just going to wait a little to gain some feedback on it

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
How does it know what city I am in for the exact temperatures?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Lincoln, I just did this, but I have what appears to be a wifi icon to the left of the mail icon. Can I get rid of this?

EDIT:::: I think I might have realized that it is my RSS feed?
It may be. I don't use RSS, so I'm not sure.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
How does it know what city I am in for the exact temperatures?
I'm not sure I get what you're saying.. do you have your city set in the ConfigureMe.js file?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I'm not sure I get what you're saying.. do you have your city set in the ConfigureMe.js file?
I changed Charleston, WV to Bloomington, IN

How do the actual temperatures, 82*F know that it is Bloomington? I did not enter zip code?

EDIT::: My lock sound does not sound anymore?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I changed Charleston, WV to Bloomington, IN

How do the actual temperatures, 82*F know that it is Bloomington? I did not enter zip code?

EDIT::: My lock sound does not sound anymore?
It just pulls the data from wherever the OS X widget gets the data from (the code is the same.)

Lock... weird. Try flipping the vibrate switch a few times and then rebooting. I'll looks at the code and see if there's anything that might cause this.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Ok! That is what I thought it might do for the temperature.

I did a respring and reboot and all my sounds are working properly. I have to remember to respring after I change something.

Thanks for your patience.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think I may have caught a bug in the temperature alignments.. can somebody that's using the one week forecast mod post a screenshot?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I can't take a screenshot of the "slide to unlock" screen...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I can't take a screenshot of the "slide to unlock" screen...
Nevermind. I took a shot and there isn't a bug.

Future reference: to take a shot of the lock screen, install UIkit tools from Cydia. Then SSH into your iPhone as mobile (ssh mobile@IPaddress), lock the phone, press the home button, and type uishoot. This will place a screenshot in your camera roll.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Very cool ... I am trying this now as well. (Why can't Apple give us this feature?)
It's possible they might.. they've filed a patent for something very similar to this.