Locked AT&T or unlocked Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by FFAP1234, Oct 8, 2015.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I was wondering if I should switch to Verizon. Every time I change my phone I have to go though the same annoying process.

Yesterday I paid off my iPhone 6S and I have to wait until October 29th to be eligible for the unlock request.

In the pass something when wrong with the unlocked process I had to make talk an AT&T supervisor and apple on the phone to get a second request code for the same phone. There are also the chances that if for some reason my phone has to be exchanged, I again will need to get the unlocked request , AT&T allows only 5 times in a year.

I think I'm getting a good deal with AT&T, I pay $210 including taxes for 3 lines with 30GB data and all phones insured. I need my phone unlocked because I travel to South America all the time. Will Verizon always sale unlocked iPhones? I always sell my last phone and use that money to payoff the AT&T next. What do I do? Thank you all.

2. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

All Verizon 4G phones like the iPhone come unlocked from the start. It's been this way at least with iPhones since the 5s I believe. I sent my daughter to London for a semester with her Verizon iPhone 5s and all she had to do was pop in a pre-paid SIM card and she was using it immediately with her new local phone number. Easy peasy.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Yes, it's been that way since the iPhone 5. It should stay that way, but I'm hesitant to say forever since the law could possibly change in the future.

2. You're eligible now. Call and ask to speak with a manager to get this expedited.

4. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I will call tomorrow. If I have known Verizon's cost I wouldn't post this situation. I ended calling Verizon today to find out how much would be the equivalent of the service I have now with Verizon. I was told $435 including taxes, THAT IS NOT AN OPTION ANY MORE. I will patiently wait until the 29th if I have to : ). Thank you for your advice.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try this if you haven't already. It only takes a couple minutes.
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I just did. I hope it doesn't create a problem because I didn't wait what they told me to. Thank you again.

7. MeganRae

MeganRae New Member

It doesn't matter where you want to purchase the phone since you can unlock it easily using unlocking sites.

8. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I got my iPhone 6 unlocked months ago and I'm still paying on Next. I think I got it unlocked as soon as it was legal again. I'm on AT&T.

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Where did you unlock? How much If I can ask ? On the other hand I don't think I should pay for it when I can do it for free with AT&T.

10. EverythingApple

Gold

AT&T did it for free.

11. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I don't understand how you were able to. AT&T is supposed to unlock your phone one if you have paid it in full.

12. EverythingApple

Gold

IDK, but there is another thread on here. @Europa suggested it and I did it. Go figure.

13. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

This is going back a few years, but I had AT&T unlock several iPhones simply by calling and requesting it. They did it OTA on their end and it took a couple minutes. Don't know if they've changed this process, or if they have adopted entirely new protocols.

14. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

12 months ago or so I had AT&T unlock two phones after the contract period expired. It involved going to my account online and requesting the unlock, waiting 24 hours and then completing the process. I just recently bought two, off contract unlocked, iPhone 6's for myself and my wife. After crunching the numbers it costs me less to pay the cost of the phones up front and avoid paying for a monthly contract for two years.