Locked iPhone 3GS - not activated on original network ?

coolash

Aug 6, 2009
I bought an brandnew iPhone 3GS from a lady in UK over the ebay worth 477 british pound. I took the phone to Pakistan with a thought to unlock/jailbreak it.

No in Pakistan I can't unlock it as when i connect it to iTunes it asks for a valid sim. I realise its not activated over the original network. it show a sign of usb connect to itune.

Anyone have an idea how to unlock/jailbreak this ?

I have already tried purplera1n of to no use :(

will appreciate help...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You need to use redsn0w, not purplera1n.
First restore to factory settings in iTunes and update to 3.0.1. It's in recovery mode right now, if iTunes isn't recognizing it in recovery mode, put it in DFU mode http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034 and then restore. It will not let you activate it in iTunes when it's done since you don't have a valid SIM that the phone is locked to right now, don't worry about that, it will activate later. Next, download the 3.0 IPSW file, 3.0.0 (3GS): iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw and save it to your desktop. (this won't affect the 3.0.1 FW you're running). Next, use redsn0w to jailbreak it. After that, use ultrasn0w to unlock it. Reboot and it will activate.

Here's the redsn0w and ultrasn0w links you'll need and a how to video you can watch before hand.
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now

coolash

Aug 6, 2009
@ Europa,

Many thanks, :) i put it in DFU mode and have started restore & upgrade to 3.0.1 but when using redsn0w should I download 3.0 ipsw file or 3.0.1 (link given by you)

iclarified.com have mentioned to download 3.0 ipsw ! I'm confused.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
When using redsn0w with 3.0.1 when redsn0w asks you for the ipsw file you should choose the 3.0 file

You can get it from the link posted above by Europa

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
@ Europa,

Many thanks, :) i put it in DFU mode and have started restore & upgrade to 3.0.1 but when using redsn0w should I download 3.0 ipsw file or 3.0.1 (link given by you)

iclarified.com have mentioned to download 3.0 ipsw ! I'm confused.
Correct, you want to use the 3.0 IPSW in redsn0w. I posted the wrong link, I'll fix it.

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
You need to use redsn0w, not purplera1n.
First restore to factory settings in iTunes and update to 3.0.1. It's in recovery mode right now, if iTunes isn't recognizing it in recovery mode, put it in DFU mode http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034 and then restore. It will not let you activate it in iTunes when it's done since you don't have a valid SIM that the phone is locked to right now, don't worry about that, it will activate later. Next, download the 3.0 IPSW file, 3.0.0 (3GS): iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw and save it to your desktop. (this won't affect the 3.0.1 FW you're running). Next, use redsn0w to jailbreak it. After that, use ultrasn0w to unlock it. Reboot and it will activate.

Here's the redsn0w and ultrasn0w links you'll need and a how to video you can watch before hand.
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now

He's right. By the way, you'll need to add the source for ultrasnow in cydia.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolash

Aug 6, 2009
Successfully jailbreak/unlocked my iPhone 3GS last night. :)

really appreciate and thankful to Europa, Rossmc & hitrho5. cheers.

exe

Aug 9, 2009
Hey guys, newbie here and have a simlar question so I won't post a new thread. I bought a US iPhone 3gs and it's getting sent to me in Asia. The seller indicated the phone has been activated. So do I still use Redsn0w or purplera1n? And what is the difference between the two methods?

Also before jailbreaking/unlocking, should I get the IBEC and IBSS numbers first?

I'm inclined not to get any case for the iPhone, but should I consider a front screen protector (those sticky clear sheets)?

And lastly, are there any recommended programs (windows Vista 64bit) to record iTunes radio so I can save it to the iPhone?

Thanks so much, this site is a great resource.

kenlory

Jun 6, 2010
HUN-EU
Hi guys,

I have the same problem,like:
Bought a used phone from US and it is not activated....
As I know it is an AT&T phone with latest FW 3.1.3. BUT I can not check it, because only emergency function is working on it.

What should I do?
If that's true and there is a 3.1.3 FW on it-Can I downgrade it to 3.1.2 is the phone miss the activation?
As I know on 7th June(tomorrow) will be released the 4G and the unlock for 3.1.3 as well...Is this means I can make the unlock sequencing without activation?
Or there is only 1 way?.....Should I buy an AT&T SIM card!?!?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What model iPhone (2G, 3G or 3GS)?
What baseband does it have?
Was it updated to 3.1.3 in iTunes or was a custom firmware used?
If it's a 3GS, does it have a 3.1.2 (or lower) SHSH on file in Cydia?
Send an email to the seller and ask the above quesions.
You can run f0recast to check if an iPhone is unlockable, but I'm not sure if it works in Recovery mode.

The following information pertains to the 3GS: If it has the 5.12.01 baseband, you cannot unlock it. If it has that baseband, you'll have to wait until the 3.1.3 (5.12.01) unlock is available. It may be available later this month. If the device does not have a 3.1.2 SHSH on file in Cydia, you won't even be able to get it out of recovery mode and use it as a iPod Touch (no phone features) at this time. This is because the 3.1.3 jailbreak (Spirit) does not hactivate (activate with a non-official SIM). The phone would have to be activated with a valid AT&T SIM in the US. It cannot be done outside the country.

kenlory

Jun 6, 2010
HUN-EU

kenlory

Jun 6, 2010
HUN-EU
this is what i bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I will raise this questions to the seller...let's see what he is saying...he did't wrote that is locked...as you can see on ebay's page...and i din't know also..

If I have no chance I'll buy a chipest AT&T sim card from US or UK....​

kenlory

Jun 6, 2010
HUN-EU
My frien lives in GA in the states, so he can buy an AT&t SIM card...and than he can send it to me...Should I do this first?
Is it possible to buy only a sim card at AT&T without (1 or 2 yrs)agreement?

kenlory

Jun 6, 2010
HUN-EU

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Unfortunately, your phone is not unlockable at this time. An unlock for that baseband is expected after 4.0 is released.

Even if you were able to borrow a valid AT&T SIM, you still would not be able to unlock it. That baseband cannot be downgraded. The only option is to wait for the 5.12.01 baseband unlock.

kenlory

Jun 6, 2010
HUN-EU
THANKS for everything!

Will come back with details if I unlocked my Phone!

Thanks again!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
kenlory said:
help me pls!
Hi Europa!

these are myPhone's INFO:

So what do U guess, if the last unlock will come out(perhaps tomorrow after 4g release)I can make my 3GS workable?
I posted the ebay link as well into topic-may you take a look to it pls.

I need your kindly help because I am very comfused....many thanks!
We don't know when 4.0 will be released. I'm guessing it will be available by the 16th of June. We also don't know how long it will take for the unlock to be released (if its released at all). We just have to wait and see.

kenlory

Jun 6, 2010
HUN-EU
it will be released at 7PM CET, tomorrow !

AND I keep my fingers crossed to get the unlock after that!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Source?

The 4.0 release date will be announced tomorrow.