Locked out of my iPhone....All I can do is laugh.

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Sharunda, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Okay, um, yeah. This morning while walking to the train I put my passcode into my phone. When I got to my train station and put my pass code in to open my phone, it continuously told me that my code was wrong. Over and over again until it started to lock me out. 1st for one minute, then for five, then for fifteen, and then for an hour. Could have been a ten minute lock out in there, but I think it went straight to 15 minutes.

Now I'm locked out for an hour twice.

I tried to put in combinations of codes that i thought could have been it as my fingers could have slipped and put the wrong number in twice but each time I tried that I got locked out for longer lengths of time.

I called Apple and all I can do is restore as new. Oh well. At least I backed up my phone yesterday so it won't be so bad. But in the meantime, I'm screwed. I was listening to music on the way in and going home I have to keep listening to the same playlist. Aww, boohoo! I can't play any games though.

I rely so much on my iPhone for my sanity and well being. Good thing I have my iPad, but I virtually have to sneak and use it because its frowned upon here at work.

Anyway, this is my dilemma for the day. Way to start off the week. Monday's usually don't blow for me. All I can do is laugh.

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

OH man !
    When sons phone was stolen they had put a code on YUCK
    I myself do not put a code on there for that reason you go through I also forbid son too. Evenso we have sensible information on ours I rather lock it remotly in case it is lost/stolen

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

See now, what a novel idea! LOL! I am now officially totally locked out. A moment ago, I tried to put in a code I thought it could have been and now instead of telling me to try again in an hour, it says to connect to iTunes. ROFLMAO! WOW! I've done it now! :eek:

It's 10:04am here now and I've got to wait until 4:30 to hook my phone up to iTunes at home and restore as new and then put my last back up on it.

IT'S TORTURE! U never really know how much you rely on your phone until you CAN'T use it and it's in your hand looking all sad.

Putting a remote password on your phone might be a good idea for me. I have always HATED using and putting a pass code on my phone, but I think its better than a remote password.

When my husbands iPhone was stolen he insisted I put a pass code on my pone and I always do, but I take it off when I'm home. I think now I'll use a word instead of numbers. See how that works out.:rolleyes:

Now, more than ever, I can't wait to get home. All I can say is Thank God for my iPad.

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Sharunda
    now this bring up some questions for me chris maybe you know?

It says connect to iTunes I believe it has to be the original computer am I wrong?
    2nd what of you do have an iPhone set up without a computer (what was the big deal with iOS 5 no computer needed)?

Find your phone is how you remotely look your phone. Have you ever played a trick on your hubby make the sound come on?
    Also AT&T just got the ability to lock your device if it get's stolen/lost

Oh a tip do not drain your battery keep the phone charged.

5. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Moral of the story...don't use a pass code or you will be iBrick'd. lol

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Well, when I was on the phone with the Apple Tech, they asked me if I had access to a computer with iTunes, so I guess it doesn't have to be your own computer unless you are going to Restore the phone from a previous back up. You can use any computer with iTunes on it to restore the phone as a new phone I suppose. I don't think iCloud stands a chance because I cannot get into my phone so that's out. I tried to log on to iCloud on my computer, but it needs Safari and I don't have Safari here at work. I tried to log on to iCloud on my iPad but it didn't work. So I'm SOL. I'll just wait until I get home. TORTURE! But I've handled worse.

Thanks for the tip about not letting the phone run out of juice. I have 76% right now. I'll make sure it's juiced up before I leave because I will be listening to music on the way home. At least I can do that.

I was so tempted to do a hard reset, but I have a feeling that would do nothing but piss me off and throw my playlist off and then I wouldn't have the music so I'm leaving that alone.

I've never played a trick with the sound on Find my iPhone. He would hate that. Very touchy subject. Stolen iPhone still leaves a bitter taste in his mouth.

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

S'pose so. LOL! Never happened to me before and this will never happen to me again. I've had iPhones since '08 and never a problem like this.

Oh well. Live and learn. :oops:

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Actually, the moral of the story is don't forget your passcode. ;)

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

UPDATE!

Holy Smokes! Restore from iCloud backup is a horrible little biotch! (n)

So, I restored from a previous backup which was Thursday and it went smooth and everything was fine and I was semi happy. :) Well, I saw that iCloud's latest backup was at 4:45pm so I decided that since that was the latest and greatest backup from my iPhone with all the changes and updates from over the weekend that I should have that instead of an update from last Thursday. Pwah! I should have left well enough ALONE! I Erased All Content and Settings and went to iCloud to restore from my latest iCloud backup.

At first it seemed to be going well. It took only an hour and ½ roughly and when it was done I checked out the Apps. All of them were waiting. That was puzzling. O_o I didn’t think they should have been waiting so I did some research and read where other people had this same problem and they just synced it up to iTunes and their Apps came back in. So I did that. I synced it up and unfortunately my Apps didn’t come in all that quickly. Lots of spinning and waiting. I tried to sync a few times and nothing was working. iMovie and Garage Band were the culprits. They would not finish syncing. So I did further research and found that sometimes a rogue App would cause a problem within iCloud while restoring from a backup and to delete it. Oh really a simple delete would do it? No, that didn’t work.

It was jacked up! None of the Apps were completely downloading. This ran into hours of going and doing something else and returning only to find yet another friggin problem. So finally at 3am after a three hour nap, I was supposed to be sleep to get up at 5:15am to go to work, I scrapped the whole iCloud thing and restored from the previous Thursday backup. AGAIN! You know, the one I should have just kept from the beginning. Me, wanting the best and most updated backup I could get wasted an entire night and part of the early morning. It was stupid!

OMG! Friggin iCloud backup is ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS! :mad:

Well, I did even further research and found one little blurb by one person who put the whole thing in perspective. He said that he wasn’t buying more iCloud storage space in order for his backups to work properly. DING DING DING! :eek: That must be it. I was floating on the 20GB you would think this was good enough, but for some reason it was giving me problems. This is a shot in the dark, but I think what iCloud might do is when it’s restoring from backups instead of putting the entire app, including the updated info on a blank phone, it can only put the backup on the phone that only has updated info of the App and not the whole entire actual App. If that makes sense. O_o

Another theory I came across was that people who had this problem and tried to get the Restore from iCloud backup to work possibly had too many Apps. I know I have a few hundred on my iPhone so if the too many Apps thing pans out then yup that’s me. But that theory goes hand in hand with the needing more storage space to house all these Apps.

It’s all rocket science to me. :rolleyes: No, not really! LOL! Bottom line is, it did not work for me and a lot of others. 20GB of storage on iCloud cannot hold 40G of iPhone Apps, and other stuff. So, it was inevitable that the Restore from iCloud Back up would not work.

So I can have the latest and greatest update at all times, I will make sure I backup to my COMPUTER daily. I know iCloud is backing up daily but I have to get the real HARD BACKUP on my computer not in the virtual iCloud.

Possibly this is something Apple needs to address.

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

All I need to know is are you back ?
    Sorry for all the troubles .. I look at the cloud on my PC and delete old back ups to free the space I need
    But once the new iPhone comes out I will certainly back up also on my PC just to be sure

11. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

If this ever occurs again, couldn't you go on iCloud.com or the iPad app and change the passcode?

Sorry about all of this happening! What torture!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

12. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

This may have been due to some iTunes store issues.
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/cannot-update-apps.97026/

Anything that you purchased from iTunes does not count against your iCloud storage (music, apps, movies, etc). It only backs up the settings and documents (like game saves and photos) from each app, which it puts back in place upon restore, and then downloads the app from the store again. The biggest parts of my backups are iPhoto library and/or camera roll. You can see exactly how big the iCloud backup is by going to iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> Manage Storage.

I have found that plugging my device into my computer with the USB cable tends to help it restore from an iCloud backup. I know, kind of defeats the purpose, but it seems like it does parallel downloading/syncing. I have no evidence to support this theory.

#12 fury, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  13. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Hey iMutter! I'm so sorry I didn't end with that. I'm at work and it was enough to get the info on the Thread. I am 100% back. Except for some Text messages and some rearranging and deleting of Apps that I had done over the weekend, I am back!

Another good point iMutter, I need to go and delete some old iCloud backups. I guess I can find them through the iCloud.com on my account? I'll look and see if I find them and delete them.

14. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Yes under manage
    Glad you got back ..........if you lived close I'd come and bring ya some Coffee/RedBull/5hourEnergy

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I tried to get on to the iCloud.com site but I needed Safari. At work we only have Internet Explorer. When I tried to get on to it on my iPad it wouldn't work.

Eh, so you live and learn. I now have an awesome passcode that's a word and a symbol. AWESOME! It's easy to rememebr and I will not mess this one up. :rolleyes: It's kinda fun putting it in also so I should be good for a while.

16. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

U R SUCH A SWEETHEART! :love:

I've got two Starbucks Espresso's So I'll be wired for the day. I might pass out when I get home though! :unsure:

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Fury, I shoulda just called you to see if everything was kosher (kosha)? :cautious: - not being a smart-ass. I was JK, please don't take offense.

Thank you for the info. That very well could have been the problem.

Thanks for the info on how iCloud storage works. I don't know. I just thought it should work when I needed it to. :rolleyes:.

Now, because of your info here, I do know and I am better equiped for future updates and restores. Fingers crossed so the latter doesn't happen anytime soon, but if it does I will know what to do.

I did not have my iPhone plugged into my computer when I did the restore from iCloud. I was watching a TV show and eating dinner so I plugged it in downstairs and let it rip. Ah, Next time computer plug in all the way.

I still think iCloud is not perfect and probably needs some tweeking.

#17 Sharunda, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  18. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Agreed, they need to make every step of the process bulletproof 100% of the time. That's a hell of an engineering undertaking, though. When juggling so many things as it so happens in an iCloud restore, it only takes dropping one ball to make the whole thing a flop. And there are so many different combinations of things that can go wrong, they can never account for all the different possibilities. Would be handy (for the engineers, at least) to have a "Report a problem" button on iOS itself, where you could submit diagnostic info with a report about something that went wrong.