Locked SIM?

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Maybe somebody can help me. I can not unlock/jailbreak/virginize my bricked iPhone. It had 1.1.4 and became bricked. Everytime I go through the restore and update to 2.1 through DFU mode, it gets to a point where it says I must use and unlocked SIM. What could this be? Has anybody run into this problem?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Are you using the phone on T-Mobile thus requiring it to be unlocked? Does the phone tell you to use an unlocked SIM or does iTunes? How did it become bricked on 1.1.4?

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Are you using the phone on T-Mobile thus requiring it to be unlocked? Does the phone tell you to use an unlocked SIM or does iTunes? How did it become bricked on 1.1.4?
T-Mobile, that's why it was unlocked. Accidentally upgraded to 2.1 and that's when it happened. iTunes tell's me to use an unlocked SIM.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is a link to a step-by-step that might allow you to upgrade to 2.1 and then Unlock and Jailbreak your phone again since you are on a v1. I am not 100% sure that it will allow you to get past the error that you're receiving but it's a start.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Here is a link to a step-by-step that might allow you to upgrade to 2.1 and then Unlock and Jailbreak your phone again since you are on a v1. I am not 100% sure that it will allow you to get past the error that you're receiving but it's a start.
I tried that. And it wont let me do the shift + restore to 2.1. It starts, but then I get the error. However, I can get to step four, however, when I try the DFU mode their way, it doesn't work. I don't know. I really think this phone is really screwed.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
How long have you had the phone? If it's less than a year then you are still under the Apple 1-year warranty and should be able to get Apple to take care of the problem as long as there is no visible trace of a Jailbreak/Unlock.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
It's been over a year.

OK, I got it to work! Its unlocked and jailbroken. However, the Wifi does not work. When I go into settings, Wi-Fi is gray and I can't swipe to turn it on. Any ideas?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't been able to find any word of issues with WiFi but I'm going to look around a bit more. I've only heard of WiFi issues with a version 1.x firmware, not 2.x.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
I haven't been able to find any word of issues with WiFi but I'm going to look around a bit more. I've only heard of WiFi issues with a version 1.x firmware, not 2.x.
That would be great. I have yet to find a wifi fix too. I think that if I am wifiless by tomorrow, I will probably restore the phone again and unlock again with Pwnage and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then I wont know what to do.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Any luck? I have re-jailbroke the phone and still no wifi. It's weird. When I put the phone in DFU mode and re-install 2.1 from Apple, at the very end, it still states that the phone can not be read because I need to use an non locked SIM card. I wonder why this is happening. I can't even use "Installer." Only Cydia.