Locked Threads

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I've been tuned into a thread on wifi sync for a while now. The thread had been helpful to me and I've posted some comments that might have helped someone else. So a couple members decide to argue and sling insults and after repeated warnings to stop by the moderators, the thread was locked.

I really love this site and have since my "Everything Treo" days. My question is, why lock the rest out for a couple of misbehaving members? Is it not possible in this day and age of technology to lock members out of a thread? I've searched the forum policy and see nothing on locking a thread. Did it need done, perhaps, not really questioning the moderator here, just wondering what the metrics are for envoking this administrative feature. You have a no profanity rule and that was broken in the title and it didn't get locked or removed. Lock this one, delete it, whatever, just wanted to hear opinions.

I suppose now we're going to get another thread about wifi sync.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have never heard of a way to lock certain members out of a certain thread - I only know about suspensions and bans. Anyway, sometime's it's just easier for everyone to lock a thread because if you and your friend, for instance, are going to cut it and behave, a lot of other users won't and it will be hard and a pain in the butt to try and control each and every one of them. What you could do, and that's just a suggestion, is perhaps create a Wi-Fi Sync FAQ thread and compile all the useful posts together; it may take some time, but it'll save you and all of us, the staff included, the pain. Don't forget that the EIC staff have lives, too. And always use the report; the sooner, the better.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The original topic was covered and only going around in circles, personal quarrels notwithstanding. Thus the locked thread.

Anyway, the information is still there if needed in the future.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
A thread being locked is based on the judgment call of a moderator. At times a few will ruin the fun of the masses. However comma the moderators have a tough job. It is easy to be an arm chair moderator but the truth of the matter is they do an amazing job that comes with little to no glory.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You can always start one if you need further help.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Please understand, I not questioning the moderator's decision. Banning might prove interesting.

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Please understand, I not questioning the moderator's decision. Banning might prove interesting.
Feel free to start a new WiFi Sync thread if you want. There were several pages of bickering in the last one and my attempts get thread back on topic were ignored. No, we don't have the ability to lock certain members out of threads. It's not that the technology doesn't exist; it's that it wouldn't work. Those members would probably be pretty upset about that and rant about it in other threads.
Target said:
You have a no profanity rule and that was broken in the title and it didn't get locked or removed. Lock this one, delete it, whatever, just wanted to hear opinions.
I'm not sure which thread you are referring to; I didn't notice one with profanity in the title. There is no reason to lock or delete this thread. I try not to go overboard with locking threads.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I'm not sure which thread you are referring to; I didn't notice one with profanity in the title. There is no reason to lock or delete this thread. I try not to go overboard with locking threads.
I'm certainly not picking on you. Just wondering if you had rules or just went on gut feelings when locking them down. I do appreciate you as well as your advice.

Also wondering if you considered all swear words profanity. As the Dad of an 11-year old, we do. My kid loves to read and has a 4th gen touch. She wants to read the forums on her own, but I'm not convinced age should. That's where my question comes from.

(and to head off future comments - she is very well monitored on the Internet)

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Yes, profanity is strictly prohibited here at EIC; this forum is constantly monitored and everything is either filtered out or completely removed, so don't worry. It's as safe as they come.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Not for an 11 year old thou, unless I'm really old fashion.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm certainly not picking on you. Just wondering if you had rules or just went on gut feelings when locking them down. I do appreciate you as well as your advice.

Also wondering if you considered all swear words profanity. As the Dad of an 11-year old, we do. My kid loves to read and has a 4th gen touch. She wants to read the forums on her own, but I'm not convinced age should. That's where my question comes from.

(and to head off future comments - she is very well monitored on the Internet)
That's a just a call that is made by a moderator. Like I said, you can start a new WiFi Sync thread if you'd like.

The minimum age for membership here is thirteen. We ask that members don't post content or words that would be inappropriate for the average 13-year-old. The Forum Policy does say no foul langauge.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Why not? Unless they'll interpret implicit messages that contain things they shouldn't know, they're safe! lol
moderators can't be at all places at all times, they have real jobs too so its normal that sometimes threads containing naked pictures or more hang there for a while. I've seen some crazy stuff and reported it as always, but if I saw it an 11 year old can see it too.
They are sneaky :p

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
moderators can't be at all places at all times, they have real jobs too so its normal that sometimes threads containing naked pictures or more hang there for a while. I've seen some crazy stuff and reported it as always, but if I saw it an 11 year old can see it too.
They are sneaky :p
Naked pics on an everything Apple forum....!? Really now....I doubt that. ((Rolls eyes))

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I'm talking about spammers, incase you didn't catch that.