Locking the Homescreen - Is there a way to do this?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Good morning all:

I have been pouring through the manual I printed out from the Apple iPhone site and I can't find a thing about how to lock the Homescreen. :confused:

Is there a way to lock the homescreen so i will not accidentally touch something and cause things to open or close or start or erase or just a whole lot of things that has been happeneing thus far. :eek:

In case you are wondering why on Earth would I want to do that, well, I commute on bus, Lt. Rail, and train and up and down stairs and walk through halls and corridores to get to my place of work daily. I am a mega commuter :cool:and in doing this I have few choices with this phone as far as using it safely. I carry it in my hand or place it in my pocket. Sometimes my pockets are shallow and I don't put it in there for fear it will fall out and that is a different issue all together. But while I'm walking or holding on a handrail on the bus or train, I sometimes, touch something on the screen i didn't know i did and definitely didn't want to do. So I am hoping there is a way to lock the Homescreen or just any screen I happen to be in. :eek:

If I can listen to my iPod and lock the screen, this would be a great help because I often find that i have somehow touched the shuffle button and the song i expect should ocme up next doesn't becaue i have done it yet again. :mad:

Any help would be great! :laugh2:

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Uhhh! Okay! WOW! I can do that, but I'm thinking of a way to do it where (mainly in iPod mode) I can have my screen up of the playlist i am listening to and push a button so i can not accidentially press something and then when i commute i can just press the button and the same play list comes back and i can change a song if i have to without sliding to open and then choose iPod again. I guess i have to get used to it.

Thanks though! Yeah >>> I feel like an idiot! Yup, yup I do. The sleep wake button is what it is for a reason. I guess i want magic. I don't know.

Sorry for a whole post on something i just have to get used to.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If the phone is locked and you are using the iPod function, you can double-hit the home button to bring up the "Back" Play and Forward" buttons with volume slider.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I do know what you mean - it would be nice if there were a "lock" button on the screen somewhere that keeps the screen on for a little while but won't let any buttons be pushed. But then you'd need some way to turn the touch-sensitivity of the screen back on and would need to use the home button or sleep/wake button in some combination for that. I take the train to work as well and am used to using the sleep/wake button now so nothing is activated accidentally, and I make heavy use of the control button on the headphones to pause music and advance to the next song.

The easiest solution would be an option to temporarily disable the "slide to unlock" upon wake so you can go right back to the last screen you were on - if enough people request it, maybe Apple will implement it on a future firmware version...

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
If your using the headphones just click the mic on the headphones twice to skip song too, one of the nice things I like

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you know what I mean Macgirl. I feel a bit better now. I am such a noob although. I'd like to think I'm not! LOL!

Thanks for that info too HAWK! I'll try that. That should be just the thing I want. However, a new firmware change like you suggested MACgirl would be great too.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Would a case with a cover for the screen work? I use a Vaja iVolution Top case and never have a problem touching the screen because it's covered.