Log out missing from Facebook Messenger updated app.

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Ledsteplin, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It looks good and I like the notifications, but there's no way to log out of Facebook Messenger now. I have more than one Facebook account, so I sometimes switch on FB Messenger. Am I missing it?

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have searched and searched and searched again. I even tried deleting the actual Facebook app, deleting my login in the iPhone settings, and the Facebook Messenger app keeps me logged in. I tried logging out of the Facebook app as well.

Have you tried logging in to another account on the Facebook app to see if it logs you in to that account on Facebook Messanger? I do not have another account to try this, however I saw someone respond to this question on another website saying they made a "dummy" account and it didn't work.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120520031526AAiRCcK

"Well, I tried creating a fake facebook account and logging into that and also changing my fb password from the computer, but the iPhone would not log out. Since the idea is that the phone will go to someone else completely, I've determined that the best route is simply to reset it to factory condition, choosing the Erase All Content and Settings option. Here is a website that explains how to do that."

#2 MoneyMaker79, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I looked too and couldn't find the option. The help section looks like it redirects to older FAQs from their website.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I edited my post with more information. I never have had to logout of Facebook Messenger when using it as I only have one account, but reading online it seems as if people used to be able to logout of the app.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

This was from another forum, but I don't see what the person is talking about anywhere;
    Go to "Settings", then menu "Facebook Privacy", next you have to click on the menu-bar on the top left hand side which will reveal the facebook-menu. Scroll down to the bottom and log off.

?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

There is no "Facebook Privacy" or a facebook menu that reveals a logout option. However, I just reinstalled Facebook and it asked me if I am who I am, then at the bottom it gave me the option to login as someone else, "Switch Account". This may be the OP's only option.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There is no such thing in the Facebook Messenger app. I can log out of Facebook, but that doesn't change the Messenger app. Neither does logging in to a different Facebook account. I am logged in to 2 Facebook accounts. One uses the Facebook app and the other a client. There's simply no log out for Facebook Messenger.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

There is no logout for Facebook Messenger, but if you uninstall the app, and reinstall / close all apps, it will give you the option to log in as you or Switch Account.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Less trouble just to go to messages in the client app.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most definitely. Will you just switch accounts on the client app?

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I do not use Facebook, so I can't test this. Someone please try this for me:

1. Log into Facebook on your Facebook Messenger app.
    2. Force quit Facebook Messenger.
    3. Go to the mobile Facebook website on mobile Safari and LOG OUT.
    4. Open the Facebook Messenger app. Are you still logged in?

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You didn't specify to login to Facebook on mobile Safari, but I tried many different tactics such as removing the Facebook app itself and even my Facebook information in iPhone Settings. The only way that I myself could login to Facebook Messenger using a different account was uninstalling Facebook Messenger and reinstalling it and then closing all apps. It asked me if I'd like to stay as me or Switch Accounts.

Ok, I decided to do your steps that you provided. It still kept me fully logged in to Facebook Messenger. Even my steps, I am confused how the heck it could even know who you are still. Could it be possible that the App Store on iPhone already fully knows you no matter what? I have no clue.

#12 MoneyMaker79, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just set up an account and installed the app to find the log out.

Settings > Privacy and Terms > Click the three lines in the upper left > Scroll down to log out.

image.jpg

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Wow, now I feel dumb. I found it, just to confirm.

In my opinion though, they need to make it much easier than 4 steps to get to the logout. What do you think? Why cant a settings icon be right on the top right like on the Facebook computer webpage?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, they could have made it easier to find.

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Are you talking about logging out of Facebook? I'm trying to figure out how to log out of Facebook Messenger. I don't see that option. Going to Privacy and Terms in Facebook Messenger shows Facebook stuff in general. And there's no log out there. Yes, the menu page on Facebook has a log out. But that is only for the Facebook app. The same is for Facebook mobile in Safari. It's not a big deal. I can access it in the client app.i just thought it odd.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My directions were for FaceBook Messenger. It's the only app I installed.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The client app does have the option to switch accounts, but it's not as good as the Facebook app, so I keep my main account on the Facebook app.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Facebook Messenger app does have a log out option when following Europa's steps above. When you go to privacy and terms, click the 3 lines button at top left and it'll show a menu, go to the very bottom and click logout.

#19 MoneyMaker79, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

So where are the 3 lines at in the messenger app? I'm not logged into the Facebook app, start Messenger, tap settings, Privacy and Terms. This is what I see: ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1384690558.210668.jpg

iPhone 5 on 7.0.3

EDIT: Deleted & reinstalled, had an update show immediately. I know see the top navigation bar to access the log out and other options.

#20 RoofMonkey, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013